Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fat Dog

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Interstingly, they don't seem to have a problem with people doing the same thing to their kids.

Comments

• Options
    That's horrific. It's clearly abuse ... just as it is with obese children! Despite what they say in the article, I do think that it's right that he's back with them and that they're receiving guidance on his diet and it's being monitored. Animal lovers can be so blind sometimes - they think that they're looking after their pets and giving them everything that they want but often that's the biggest problem.
  • Options
    I was watching the story on the news just now. It's pretty sickening.

Incidentally, if it was proven that a morbidly obese kid was that way because the parents overfed them despite warnings from their doctor, I should think they would be charged with child abuse.

Sorry for small derail, but for those who are upset and would like something to redress the balance, here's a nice story about humans and animals being nice to each other (click on the image to see the video footage- it's quite amazing)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/12012007/356/lion-hugs-tonight.html
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sickening. These sort of people are just as bad as people who physically abuse animals.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Sickening. These sort of people are just as bad as people who physically abuse animals.
    gonna pull away from the norm here and disagree *worries* :razz:

yeah, the dog's fat

but i don't think it's abuse

in my eyes, they love that dog a lot, he obviously isn't deprived of food!

like a lot of parents with kids, they show their love by giving food, a mother loves to see her kid happy, and if that means giving her/him sweets, so be it....i think the same can be said for the dog

i'm not sayng it's right, they should never have let him get that fat, but i think a lot of people overfeed dogs/cats/kids out of love, not abuse or neglect

i do think it's out of order though, but i dont think they should be charged with anything as long as they are actively encouraging the dog to lose weight and keep it off
  • Options
    Story

Interstingly, they don't seem to have a problem with people doing the same thing to their kids.

Who are 'they'? The RSPCA?
  • Options
    what the fuck?
    its a dog ffs. unless theyre force feeding it then it doesnt make someone an abuser to have a fat dog.
  • Options
    It wasn't just fat was it? It was so morbidly obese it could barely walk.

Dogs are not like many other animals. Many of them will eat everything you feed them and will sooner go sick than know when to stop. It's the owner's responsibility to ensure things don't get out of hand. In this case, they did- even after warnings from the vet.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    gonna pull away from the norm here and disagree *worries* :razz:

yeah, the dog's fat

but i don't think it's abuse

in my eyes, they love that dog a lot, he obviously isn't deprived of food!

like a lot of parents with kids, they show their love by giving food, a mother loves to see her kid happy, and if that means giving her/him sweets, so be it....i think the same can be said for the dog

i'm not sayng it's right, they should never have let him get that fat, but i think a lot of people overfeed dogs/cats/kids out of love, not abuse or neglect

i do think it's out of order though, but i dont think they should be charged with anything as long as they are actively encouraging the dog to lose weight and keep it off

:yes: the way I see it exactly.

It is cruel because this poor dog can hardly walk but they love that dog so so so much. It is not abuse.
  • Options
    The dog didn't have to eat, it chose to eat, so therefore it abused itself, maybe it was depressed and eat the food to comfort itself.
  • Options
    and its still only a fat dog really.
    We either give animals the same rights as humans or we dont.
    Farmers bulk up their animals all the time as general farming practice, and then we eat them.
    This is JUST a fat dog.

who gives a fuck really?
    Prosecution :lol:

its fucking ridiculous.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    The dog didn't have to eat, it chose to eat, so therefore it abused itself, maybe it was depressed and eat the food to comfort itself.

You've obviously never had dog (or cat for that matter). They'll keep eating as long as you put food down. It's a survival instinct.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've obviously never had dog (or cat for that matter). They'll keep eating as long as you put food down. It's a survival instinct.

No they don't. If I put a bowl full of food down and my dog wasn't hungry she wouldn't eat it. If i put a bowl ful of carrots down she would turn her nose up at it.
  • Options
    If you keep food in a dogs bowl all the time (and don't exercise them), they will get fat.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I have a dog thanks, and maybe you've never had a dog like mine :p you put food in her bowl and she eats it when she feels like it, if i kept filling it up she wouldn't eat eat eat she'd leave it until she was hungry.
  • Options
    I've known many dogs however that would eat 10 bowls of food in a row if you kept refilling them.

it's a fact that many dogs will not stop eating if given the chance- sometimes up to the point when they're physically sick. To say 'oh well it might have been depressed or it should have known better' does not wash. It's the owner's responsibility to ensure the dog does not reach such grotesque size.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    I have a dog thanks, and maybe you've never had a dog like mine :p you put food in her bowl and she eats it when she feels like it, if i kept filling it up she wouldn't eat eat eat she'd leave it until she was hungry.

Have you ever kept re-filling her bowl?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you ever kept re-filling her bowl?

I re-fill it everyday, but she can have a bowl full and there will still be some left the next day sometimes which leads me to belive if i kept filling it it'd just be left there.

I wouldn't say it's a dogs instinct to eat because like humans we don't eat when we aren't hungry, surely the same applies to a dog.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    To say 'oh well it might have been depressed or it should have known better' does not wash.

Obviously i was NOT serious.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    It's abuse.
    The dog clearly wasn't in good health and had trouble breathing simply from being too fat. Unnecessary suffering that could easilly have been avoided.

People that can't exercise their dog, or at least make some effort to keep it in good health shouldn't be allowed to keep one.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    I wouldn't say it's a dogs instinct to eat because like humans we don't eat when we aren't hungry, surely the same applies to a dog.

We aren't dogs. We can plan when we will eat.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Different species, different behaviour. Some animals eat what they need and leave the rest for later (many cats though not all tend to be quite good at this).

Many dogs (the majority in my experience) will eat as much as you feed them. If you refill their bowl every hour, they will happily lick it clean out again and again. If you were to keep that going for a while the dog would eventually become grossly obese.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the dog for having such irresponsible owners.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Who are 'they'? The RSPCA?
    The courts.

I think it was irresponsible ownership rather than abuse with intent, which is why I agree that they should be allowed to keep the dog provided they stick to the diet they've been given.