Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

may have got myself in trouble...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys.

I have a slight worry.

I am currently studying A2 level business with 4 teachers, 3 I get on great with but ones brand new out of teacher training and I don't think she knows what shes doing. She explains stuff in a real complicated way, has unrealistic expectations. For example she gives us a whole section of coursework and makes us draw up tables that are already included in the task anyway.

since she explains things in a complicated way, we go off and do the task how we understand it, we give it in, she says '13 year olds could do your work better' and 'your lazy' in every lesson. as you can imagine, morale gets very low and people start to get angry. She plays favorites with 2 people and their the only ones who actually know what they are supposed to be doing while if we ask for help we get the same complicated explanation, called lazy and get fucked off.

this has been going on for 4 months now and we told a head of business but still nothings changed however this is not my problem.

my problem now is that on monday, she took me outside and tried to jump down my throat, but then I jumped down hers and basically said what I thought about her teaching. shes now gone and told the head of business and according to my form teacher Im going to 'have my head ripped off'. Im extra worried now because 2 (maybe 3) people are getting the boot off the course for lack of work, a thought occurs that this teacher has a hand in it and maybe what I said didn't do me any favours. The thing is I get on well with the other 3 and do their work but am getting fed up with hers.

what do I do?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fairly, you could look at it like this: you're not happy with the way she's teaching, you've commented to her, to the head of department and nothing has changed, apparently it's all your fault.

However, teachers will band together against students, and if you don't like the way she teaches then they'll say it's 'tough'. Though by talking down to you a lot (calling you lazy, 13 year olds could do it better) she is ruining your work morale. Are there other classmates who feel the same as you? If the head of year speaks to you, accept first that the way you spoke to her was inappropriate, you shouldn't be shouting at a teacher just 'cos.

However, then explain reasonably and calmly (maybe even in writing) what you feel is wrong, say how other students feel, say she hasn't changed her attitude and just belittles her students when they get it wrong.

Best of luck to you, at the end of the day you do get crap teachers and you've just got to get along really. I hate it when a teacher will blame the entire class for not understanding though, calling them all fuckwits / idiots. They shouldn't be teaching if they have an attitude like that.

If it's just a case of a personality clash and you might be blowing things out of proportion, apologise to the head of department and the teacher, explain that you were frustrated as it was difficult to understand the work you were doing and that her having a go just 'tipped you over the edge', but that it wont happen again and you will endevour to make sure you understand the work in future.

At the end of the day, you're only there to get your a level, once you've got it you'll never see her again and never think about it again.
  • Options
    Its not just me who feels like that though, the whole class does, I did think the way I said it was wrong but what I said was right. I got mad because why bother spending an hour a day doing work for someone who always puts us down!? I spent a week of my christmas holiday doing her coursework and shes got the fucking cheek to call me lazy.
  • Options
    May I suggest that when you get your head ripped off, you grovel, lots, and lots, for being harsh in the way you expressed yourself.

Point out in a mature manner that you have been having problems with her, and that when she started getting at you, you felt victimised and wanted to make your point.

Mention that other people have been having problems too, and if like you say you're getting on fine with the other teachers then that will help. Does the head of business teach you at all? Mention that you get on fine with your other teachers and that you want to learn.

On a more general level, can you ask the other business teachers for help with the stuff she's teaching you? That will really help make the point as to how much your struggling with her. Get a couple of the others from your class to go along with you too.
  • Options
    We had a problem similar to this when i was at college - one of my tutors gave us basically no help whatsoever so we made a complaint about him to the main head of deparement...were told everything would be resolved and much like your situation a number of people were threatened with disiplinery action because of their behaviour towards the tutor in question.
    This went on for quite some time until we made petition with a list of rules we as a group wanted to see happen (eg. 'All coursework to be explained fully and student questions answered in detail') and we handed this in straight to the head of the deparment. Its definately worth emailing this to the relevant people ensuring you 'cc' the tutor in question, the head of year, the other tutors on the course who are aware of the situation and possibly even the head of school. Trust me something will get done if you do that!
  • Options
    I completely understand what you're saying. It is annoying when you just can't get on with some teachers. We had one like it when I was in sixth form, made a formal complaint along with parent complaints, and eventually something was done about it.

From the pov of the teacher, that's probably the way that she's been told to teach on her training course. Any other way would put her out of her comfort zone which is a big thing for an NQT. When you've expressed your thoughts about what you don't like about the way that she teaches, have you suggested what you would prefer to do instead? You could also ask why you have to copy stuff out that's there already.

It's a difficult position to be in but at the end of the day, it's you that's taking exams and not her. Also, if you are up to date with your work you will not be thrown off the course. It's not that teachers band together (well, not all the time) but they do have to be seen to put up a united front and it's quite common for pupils not to like a new teacher to begin with, especially when they know that they're also new to the profession. Sub-consciously it's as if they don't trust that teacher.

Dear god, I'm waffling now. Go and see other members of the department again - go higher if necessary - and explain exactly what the problem is. They are paid to help you at the end of the day.
  • Options
    My form teachers a shit stirring gimp, I saw the head multiple times and she never said a word to me. She even said when me and 2 class mates when we spoke to her "don't worry, she won't mess up your grade". I mean damn shes been here two terms and she think she knows everything, Her idea of help is handing out vague worksheets with bullent points on them.
  • Options
    I had an awkward teacher at sixth form, one of my two physics teachers. He couldn't understand how students were finding A-level physics hard, "its just substituting numbers into formulas" apparently :chin: Luckily the other teacher was really good and she helped us with his work, in fact when it came to revision time we asked her to explain most of his stuff! There were various problems along the way, one or two people walked out of lessons at one point after arguements and there was almost an entire class walkout when one of us got told to leave the class because she didn't want her mark for a practice exam read out to the class (which we all thought was fair enough if she didn't want her mark read out).

Point is we stuck with it over the two years, but we were lucky enough to have another good teacher who was willing to help us out. If you have other good business teachers to help you then go and see them if you can. If they ask why you haven't gone to see the new teacher, just say she doesn't explain it very well.

In the short term I'd apologise for the way you talked to your teacher, but explain that there is a general feeling in the class that there are problems with the teacher. Putting things in writing tends to do the trick sometimes. You could hand a letter to the head of department detailing all of the aspects of their teaching that isn't working and that you have tried to explain this to the particular teacher. You don't need to say who wrote the letter but make sure everyone in the class agrees to it, then they can't punish any one person. As long as you are up to date with work and have a good attitude generally they have no grounds to punish you anyway. If necessary, get parents on your side and get them involved, that also tends to work.

If you can live with it and have proper support elsewhere then just keep your head down and get on with it, theres less than 2 years if that left. And if you need any help outside your teachers give me a shout. I should be able to help if I can remember all that stuff :yum: , lol. Good luck anyway.
  • Options
    I tried talking to my form tutor about my economics teacher back in a level, but he'd spoken to her about me and she had already made her mind up. It's like, if I tried to say anything she'd laugh and say 'no it's you who hasn't done this isn't it' in a condascending way.

But she was a nice enough form tutor, I do think though that teachers will try and back each other up. But putting my economics teacher into perspective, because he was so poor, the class size ended up at just four who wanted to stick it out, and out of them only one of them thought he was an 'adequete' teacher, and by no means the best.

She said she fancied him tho :/ weird, weird girl. I ended up with a C in economics even though I'd been told my work standard was at an A, and even my teacher couldn't understand why I wasn't getting As and Bs. I got Es in more than one exam!

Sorry, mini-rant :razz: he was nice enough to chat to, very clever man, just not a great teacher.
  • Options
    I wanna stick it out for the sake of my business grade but its hard enough to have a mock exam and a real exam at the end of the week to study for not to mention having to struggle through a new unit without additional bullshit from your teachers when she really should keep her negative comments to herself. My form tutors a plank because I only just got my UCAS done before christmas because the pillock lost my personal statement 3 times. Imbecile.

anyway, at the moment, I know what im doing for her unit and Im pretty calm after monday but it goes to show what happens with what 4 months of putdowns do to a student. Anyways, I got a history exam to do tomorrow so everything else is on hold.
  • Options
    You should be ok, when you get to uni everything is down to you and there wont be incompetent people letting you down a lot :p. At least not in my experience so far :chin:. Dont worry about handing your ucas in late unless you wanted to go to oxbridge / study medicine, they'll give you a conditional offer depending on your grades regardless.

Bset of luck for tomorrow :) I had an applied mathematics exam today which I failed oh so miserably :blush:
  • Options
    I've many annoying teachers over the year. Everyone moaned about one of the tutors on my course like year must he must have done something right as the vast majority passed the exams. :rolleyes: You might have to apolgise in the short term to her, but use the other teachers to explain things if you need to. I remember you saying before how much she was annoying her. It not a teachers place to put students down constanly though, that just demotivates you.
  • Options
    thing is though I don't really want to apologise, I haven't done anything wrong, alright how I said it was harsh but I was 100% right in what I said. everyone in my class says "someone had to tell her". My form teacher says "you should keep it buttoned" Ive kept it buttoned for 4 months and can't stand her whining anymore. Its better she hears it from us than an OFFSTEAD inspector...
  • Options
    Dont apolgise for what you said, I've snapped at teachers before. Just maybe consider apoligising for the way you said it, not what you said.

The best one was when my arsehole GSCE drama teacher tried having a go at my for not working at parents evening and my mum sat there and told him what she though of him and his teaching methods.
  • Options
    ha ha, sounds funny. (:

but I feel sooooooooo much better after I said it, the dosey cow didn't expect that let me tell you.

Thing is, Im thinking if the class is keeping on getting stuck then more people are going up for the chop but I think its unlikely (I don't think the other teachers get her either.) I think if you piss off all 4 you get the boot.
  • Options
    OMG - you'd think teachers were out to get you all to hear you speak!! I'm sorry to tell you this but it's in your interests to try to get on with your teachers because they are supposedly the people with the knowledge that you need. Maybe they don't always give it to you in a format that you like but not working or having a go isn't the answer. In the long run, that will make it worse because a teacher will stop trying to be inspiring if the reaction from a class is always negative.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case here, I'm just giving you the other side of the coin. If you don't like something that's going on in a lesson approach the teacher in a mature manner about it, with alternatives/suggestions to make things better. If you're constructive with your criticism they are more likely to listen to you ... UNLESS of course they are wankers - there are some around and they're very difficult to get rid of from the profession.
  • Options
    Getting your feelings out always makes you feel better, she really shouldnt be teaching if she that crap.

My mums really good at dealing with difficult people though, shes been a nurse for 30 years, can run a full 30 bed trauma ward when its understaffed and dosen't take shit from anyone. The story of her and the headteacher at my middle school is another good one. Maybe one I shouldnt post though.
  • Options
    Loopi - yeah I understand all that but when all you do is bellittle your pupils and put them down its not great for morale and you loose respect for the teacher!

me and the other people in the class have tried to get on with her and give her the benefit of the doubt because shes a new teacher but she tries to imitate the head of business (who were all scared of) when she looks like a poser. She said once "your just writing what you want because you think you know it all." when in reality thats how we understand the task. The reason we are so negative is because she is always negative.
  • Options
    I get all that jb. Imitating a respected teacher, however, is a technique that is actually taught to trainees. It's the whole theory of act like a confident and capable teacher, you will eventually become a capable and confident teacher.

If she's new to the job and you lot aren't happy (and I doubt very much that she is happy from what you've told us about your lessons) then she should be getting help and support from her dept. Unfortunately it sounds like they're just ignoring your requests (and therefore most probably hers) so go higher. You don't want to fail, she won't want you to fail and somebody - not the pupils - needs to come up with different ways of getting the information across to you lot.

I'm pretty certain that she is trying. People find their first year really hard; not only will she be teaching but she'll have a certain amount of standards to pass and hoops to jump through too. Unfortunately she's not yet hit on the right way of teaching your class and if her faculty are not willing to help, then you need to go higher.

Try not to put it that your just pissed off with her; try to explain properly what the problems are and what she needs to do differently. It's unlikely that they'll give you a different teacher but there is a good chance that they'll have an informal chat with her in the staffroom about how she could be more positive.
  • Options
    Getting your feelings out always makes you feel better, she really shouldnt be teaching if she that crap.
    Surely it depends what you class as a good teacher. What's good at one school is not so good at others - I'm a prime example of that! She may know more than all of the other teachers in the dept but just not be great at getting the information across to her pupils. She just needs guidance from her superiors, not people telling her she's crap ... in the same way as JB doesn't want to be told that he's lazy .... although, in my experience, sixth formers generally are. ;):yum:
    My mums really good at dealing with difficult people though, shes been a nurse for 30 years, can run a full 30 bed trauma ward when its understaffed and dosen't take shit from anyone. The story of her and the headteacher at my middle school is another good one. Maybe one I shouldnt post though.
    So that's two of your teachers your mum's argued with - one of which being a headteacher? Now I know that I'm biased and I don't know the full story but tbh this isn't really looking very good on you or your mum.
  • Options
    It's worth remembering that you can apologise for the manner in which you said something, without apologising for what you said.

Even as a 6th former you need to have some kind of respect for her authority, and thus she can have a go at you for your attitude but you can't lay into her for her teaching style.

You need to talk to your form tutor or head of dept or head of 6th form about the problems you are having.

No other member of staff is going to say to you that they agree she's shit, well I hope not anyway, that would be completely unprofessional. What you can hope for is that she will get some support and guidance, as will you lot.
  • Options
    I suppose it was a little unfair for me to yell at her about her teaching style but Im actually really worried about the work for her unit and am trying to get to grips with it but its frustrating. Not to mention I had a mock and a real history exam (thats today).

I am now gonna try to get on with her, she has been a bit more helpful lately.
    anyway, thanks Scarymonster, Icey, Nelski ,Shyboy, Freeallangels19 and Loopi for you input. If things go bad again, Ill have a word with the head of business
  • Options
    Oh, I just had a thought. Go on the exam website and get a copy of your syllabus and any additional revision material they may have (past papers etc). Look at that particular unit and work out what you already know and what you need to know and typically, what comes up in a test. Research these areas on the internet or maybe purchase a textbook/revision guide so at least you can try and work on these areas outside of the lesson.

If you're still struggling then you can go to her and say 'Look missus, I've read the book, I've listened to you and I still don't get it. Is it possible for you to explain it in a different way?' I would suggest that you go at a lunch time or the end of a lesson and it may require you giving up a free period but she pretty much has to give it a go.

As for yelling at her about her style, yes it was unfair but also not an uncommon occurrence in school. Unfortunately, you can never please everybody! And sometimes you'll please nobody.
  • Options
    shes a coursework teacher she doesn't teach exams, At the moment I'm alright with her work. I'll ask her to explain clearly if I get stuck.
  • Options
    I was annoyed in GCSE where on the syllabus it said for humanities we could submit two essays rather than one massive project for our coursework, but our teacher never told us that.

I got As on my essays :(. I got a G or something amusing in my PRS
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    So that's two of your teachers your mum's argued with - one of which being a headteacher? Now I know that I'm biased and I don't know the full story but tbh this isn't really looking very good on you or your mum.
    I dont quite know why that reflects badly on me or my mum.

My mums always had her kids best interests at heart. It took her a year to get me moved classes because I was so badly bullied, and the head seemed to think there wasn't a problem. She was also extremly unhelpful with my brothers behavioural problems and learning difficulities as well, and told my mum that he would have to go to a special needs boarding school as there was no other option available. He lost a year of schooling because she was so difficult to deal with. She moved to one of the other local middle schools and various people my mum had worked with who have kids there have said how bad she is.
  • Options
    I dont quite know why that reflects badly on me or my mum.

My mums always had her kids best interests at heart. It took her a year to get me moved classes because I was so badly bullied, and the head seemed to think there wasn't a problem. She was also extremly unhelpful with my brothers behavioural problems and learning difficulities as well, and told my mum that he would have to go to a special needs boarding school as there was no other option available. He lost a year of schooling because she was so difficult to deal with. She moved to one of the other local middle schools and various people my mum had worked with who have kids there have said how bad she is.
    As I said, I'm biased and didn't know the full story. I'm still not sure where I stand on the matter mind you.
  • Options
    We had this stupid maths teacher at my school, she said she wouldn't help me and my friends because she was scared of us, i'd say it was because she was thick as two short planks. Still think shes pathetic and this was nearly 5 years ago.
  • Options
    I had the best maths teacher.

He said openly that some students attitudes to school sucked, and (we were an a level class) thought they were better off trying to get a job if they wanted to act like idiots.

However, he still phoned up their parents, got them dragged in, gave up his lunchtime to take over the maths room and 'lock them in' before exams to literally force them to do coursework just to try and get a grade in Maths.

Many of them didn't even turn up for exams tho! He still tried. Ace man, if I ever graduate I will send him a letter of thanks. [/aside]
  • Options
    I was extremely annoyed with my business course. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong; I want to teach it! But my teacher was just really lazy and would rather shove on a video than teach us. She would give us a unit workbook then read over it with us and send us to a computer with the workbook and question sheet and tell us to do the questions!

I always tried to put the answers in my own words (she still insisted we hand them in for marking!)

Anyway, I always find that teachers expect you to be childish and stroppy, it's how they win the argument! If you speak in a normal voice and be adult about it and try to discuss it without raising your voice 9 out of 10 times you'll find it's the teacher who raises their voice and gets flustered!