Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

3D Monitors a reality - digital decade for sure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7628

Very interesting. Although for the time being it's not best suited to a home environment, it's only going to lead the way. Is it just me who quivers at how exciting new technology is these days? The Wii taking console gaming in a different direction, home media centres letting you control all your music, films, tv, radio, internet, email, phone all from the same place, online desktops which you can connect to from any computer in the world with a web browser that supports web 2.0 (java?).

It's incredible.

Think what it's going to be like in 2017. Or 2027. I remember 1997 at school we had our first computer hooked up to the internet, and you used yahoo for most things (although I only went on the 'net once I think). To do word processing we used amy pro? Was it, or something like that, had 15 inch chunky crts sitting on top of IBM cases with a single floppy drive. My first CD drive was one of those where you had a disk, which you opened and put the CD in, then put it into the drive like a 5 3/4" floppy.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ive got one at home better than that!!
    ive got one at home better than that!!

Is it 3d? :p
    yes
    and interactive.
    thats why its better.
    yes
    and interactive.
    thats why its better.

:chin:

Like charlie and the chocolate factory where you can take the bar out of the TV?

Willy wonka magic revolutionises technology! :d
    very nice :thumb:

Did you design it yourself?

Is that posted by the same 'nihilisticmadman' that used to post on here? And talking of which, where is he these days?
    Teagan wrote:
    Is that posted by the same 'nihilisticmadman' that used to post on here? And talking of which, where is he these days?

nihilisticmadman and suzycreamcheese are one and the same :p. Well, not exactly, but they are together afaik :)
    :D

Its a project that NMM and his company have been working on for a while.
    Hes very well, but doesnt tend to post on here much anymore
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :confused:
    That video looks to me like a monitor displaying 3D graphics, which isn't anything new... What am I missing?
    it is a 3d screen with the image projected several inches in front of the screen. You cant really get what it looks like totally from that video, but I thought you could see it was projected in front.
    Its rather dandy when you actually see it though. my little boy thinks its great, and even the dog gets a bit freaked out by it.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I remember 1997 at school we had our first computer hooked up to the internet, and you used yahoo for most things (although I only went on the 'net once I think). To do word processing we used amy pro? Was it, or something like that, had 15 inch chunky crts sitting on top of IBM cases with a single floppy drive. My first CD drive was one of those where you had a disk, which you opened and put the CD in, then put it into the drive like a 5 3/4" floppy.

Heh, go back another 5 years. We had a network of 8088 Nimbus machines, without hard drives or floppy drives, booting off the network. The server was a 386 running at 16mhz, with an 120mb hard drive I believe. CGA monitors... and a token-ring network. Unable to run Windows, we had a crappy text-menu system.

The DTP machine was a 286 with 2mb of extended memory, a 30mb hard drive, a PGA video adapter(same as VGA to all intents and purposes), a scanner and a huge Qume laser printer. If you wanted to print something really complicated, you'd have to leave the PC and printer on all night. Windows 3.0.

We were running mono 9-pin dot-matrix printers. and they sucked. We had a single colour inkjet(may have been bubblejet, can't remember), and a single 24-pin colour dot-matrix.

First machine with a CD-ROM was in the library - a 386, with the cartridge-based disc system. We had 3 discs, and were in awe at what you could do with them. An entire encyclopedia on a disc - we were still using 1.44mb floppies, and a typical hard disk was 20-40mb. Imagine having over 600mb at your disposal... and reading at single-speed. It was still waaaaaaay fast, but pants by modern standards.

No internet access. We had a 2400 modem and could dial-up to Prestel.

I moved schools in 1993, and the setup was completely different. No network, we had to book our floppy out from the library. 386 and 486 machines running Windows 3.1. I bought a 14.4k modem and we used to dial-up to bulletin boards - we could transfer a megabyte in around 10 minutes, which was awesome.

On to college in 1995, and a network of 486 DX4/100 computers, running Windows 3.1. Most machines still didn't have a CD-ROM, and were nowhere near as functional as machines are today.

Things have moved on a lot in the last 12 years. One has to wonder if they will continue to move at the same speed, or branch off into different areas - the Wii is a prime example. Nothing spectacular in terms of hardware, but a unique concept regarding the controller, and the user interaction. The iPod is only so successful because it's so simple to use - the clickwheel is most certainly it's strongest asset.

More memory and bigger hard drives are no longer terribly appealing. More ghz doesn't really mean anything, as a 1ghz machine(or less) is still perfectly adequate for what most people want to do - a bit of typing, retrieve email, go on the internet, download and play music and films. With the current desktop requirements. anything more is bloated, to be honest.

I think we're moving off in a different direction. :)
    ShyBoy wrote:
    nihilisticmadman and suzycreamcheese are one and the same :p. Well, not exactly, but they are together afaik :)
    :D

Its a project that NMM and his company have been working on for a while.
    Hes very well, but doesnt tend to post on here much anymore

Oh wow! I never knew that. I really enjoyed his posts (one of the most prolific posters on here) .. and I miss his games web site too ... :crying: ....

So, Suzy, did you meet him on here - or were you together before then? (If you will excuse the personal questions) :)
    nah we didt meet on here, although it was online. He has his own site now with arcade games on that! links in my profile I think if youre interested. :)
    I told him you asked after him, so :wave: from nmm :)
    Cool! Thanks for that and a big :wave: to both of you too ... :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVCL7mGO1Pc

I think the concept of using that, anytime in the near future, is cool. Maybe devices would have speech recognition built into them more as well. Artificial Intelligence is going to allow for more 'human like thinking' devices.