Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why does no-one walk anywhere?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pavements are practically empty. I often walk into town (about 2 miles) and never see another person on the way, but the road is full of cars with one person in.

Oh and last week at work, I was in another office which is literally 5 minutes walk from a huge shopping centre. Yet most the people in the office DRIVE there in their lunch time and spend at least 5 minutes looking for a parking space.

And then people whinge about traffic...

Do you walk anywhere? It's just something that really annoys me!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I cycle most places, and walk almost everywhere else. It's not often I've got access to a car and it's worth the hassle.
    I have to drive places and then walk cos I live in the middle of nowhere, like I have to drive to the park to take the dog a walk etc.
    I walk everywhere, but I openly admit that if I could drive to places I would :blush:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Pavements are practically empty. I often walk into town (about 2 miles) and never see another person on the way, but the road is full of cars with one person in.

:yes: I know that feeling, not in London of course, but certainly in the 'burbs - feels more and more like America.
    I walk places when I can, as I do enjoy walking. I like the peace of it and the bit of alone time. Walking to work, or even public transport is really not a viable option though, seeing as I'm taking the motorway to work everyday at the moment...
    I walk most places. Unless the weather is like it is right now and then I get the bus >.<. I would never do a five minute walk in the car though.
    I do a lot of walking... I don't actually drive yet though. I quite like walking though, I used to walk half an hour to work rather than taking the bus.
    I walk pretty much everywhere, and the streets are never empty.
    Guess its just different areas.
    i walk the 45 minutes walk home from uni, but im never up in time in the morning so i get a taxi.

when im at home, i live in watford town centre so theres no real reason for me to drive anywhere, so i survive pretty much on my own 2 legs
    Kind of relevant:
    One of my mums work mates were complaining about being fat, She said to my Mum "It's alright for you, You walk everywhere!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:
    I walk to work and back, and to the shops - pretty much everywhere enless I'm off out and need the tube. Of course, being London, the roads are full of people walking from about 7 in the morning until 2am the next day
    I walk everywhere, because its good for you, and you get fresh-ish air, but mostly because i am le broke
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If it's close, I'll walk.
    For bigger distances, a bus or cab. Sometimes I walk these too, but not if I'm in a hurry or it's night.
    I don't live near school or the town center - they're both in the next town so i have to get a bus. It usually involves alot of walking inbetween though.
    I walk further from the bus stop into school than what most of my friends walk from home to school. Like today, i had to go back to a friends because my clothes were drenched from walking from the bus stop this morning, she only lives up the road and rang her step dad and asked him to pick us up.
    She's one of the laziest people i know though.
    I just walked across the living room, what more do You want??
    I live in a village 5 miles from Ayr, which usually means a car or bus journey into town. This doesn't stop my brother from walking home occasionally, though.

When I was at Liverpool University I walked from my flat (off Smithdown Road) into the university every day. I want to get a flat in Glasgow so I'm in walking distance from the clubs/shops.
    I walk home from work everyday and that takes just over an hour. I can drive i just don't have a car of my own, i don;t mind walking i just have my ipod on, days like today are utter poo though.
    Studying in York I walk everywhere. It's a bit of a faff cos town is about 30 - 40 mins away, and I just know in a car it would only be a 3 minute trip. But I enjoy walking, just a bit inconvenient when you don't want to faff about shopping.

Oh, and I recommend people don't try walking back from Aldi with 6 fully loaded bags of shopping. My arms ached for a week :(. Next time I'm just gonna bloody steal a trolley.
    Walked about 5 hours yesterday in the freezing cold, was amazzzzzing!
    I walk to my school and back every day and sometimes take a late walk with the dog. I see pretty much people in the morning and evening but I'm not living in central town. I think it's different here because many people, i mean many, try to make an effort and use public transport. Not everyone has cars and it's become cheaper and, convenient in the short run, to use your feet rather than a vehicle.
    Fairy wrote:
    Walked about 5 hours yesterday in the freezing cold, was amazzzzzing!
    :eek: :eek2: :nervous: :shocking: :confused: :sour: :p
    oops my internet bodged up double posted 10 minutes after the forst one, ha :p
    I walk nearly everywhere if it's possible. I have to work away from home two days a week, which is about 4.4 miles away. However, I still have to walk about 1.5 miles.
    I walk loads. On Monday I walked to Oxford Street from Camden (via Kings Cross and Euston) and back again.
    Also, if you are interested in walking to places in central London I would recommend the website www.walkit.com as it gives you routes, tells you how many calories you burn at different walking speeds and how much Carbon Dioxide emissions you avoid compared to going buy car, train or bus.
    PussyKatty wrote:

Oh and last week at work, I was in another office which is literally 5 minutes walk from a huge shopping centre. Yet most the people in the office DRIVE there in their lunch time and spend at least 5 minutes looking for a parking space.

And then people whinge about traffic...

Do you walk anywhere? It's just something that really annoys me!
    Dyspraxia makes bike riding hard for me, but I do walk most places unless I'm knackered, unwell or painfully late. I like to walk places, I rarely even use my minidisc player because often you miss some incredibe things.

I have a hatred of cars.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I walk, so stfu.
    Depends on the weather and the shoes I'm wearing. :p I can't drive yet (test on the 24th :S) but even when I do, it's going to be somewhere I can't walk to within 20 minutes.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I only ever walk up the pub. I have nowhere else to walk to.
    Living in a village if I want to go anywhere I have to drive, it's that or do the 20 mile round trip on foot.
    Weekender Offender