Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Career in Marketing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya everyone,
I'm new in this forum so I'd better introduce myself first.
I'm a 24-year old Italian girl and I'm moving to England in March.
I'm just about to complete my degree here in Italy (basically, Foreign Languages - English & Spanish - and Communication Studies) and I've suddenly realised that, really, I should've chosen another course.
I know it might sound silly but does anyone feel about the same?!
So, to cut a long story short, I'm thinking about a career in Marketing and, thanks to a couple of websites, I've decided that I'm gonna find myself a temp admin job (just for the cash) and maybe volunteer at weekends to gain some new skills.
Also, I'm considering applying for a Chartered Institute of Marketing course, I guess a qualification like that would be good, especially cos I've no marketing background at all.
Does anyone work in Marketing? Or want a career in this field?
Any suggestions (your experiences, websites, etc) on how to get some work experience?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello, welcome to the boards :wave:

I considered going into marketing but, as you probably already know, it's so competitive. Your main options are to get onto a graduate scheme for marketing, where they usually pay for you to take CIM exams and then you are usually offered a job at the end of the graduate program, or to start as a marketing assistant and work your way up, but i've heard that you start on fairly low pay and it can take a lot of time and effort to get up to a reasonable level due to the competition and relative lack of high-paying jobs considering the number of people going for them.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's just something to be aware of.

Good luck with it all!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

I'm not trying to put you off but it's just something to be aware of.

Good luck with it all!

Thanks a lot Chocolate Fairy!
    Unfortunately I know it's not gonna be easy but nothing ever is in life, is it?
    The main thing is that I think I already made a mistake in chosing my degree course and now I'm willing to do anything to do something I really enjoy.
    Thanks for your help, I'll have a look at some graduate training schemes as well...hopefully I'll find something interesting in this area.