Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Musicals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What musicals has everybody seen, and what's your favourite?

I've seen Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat three times, twice with Mr Donovan and once with Pip Schofield :o They're opening a new production of it down south at some point, would love to see it again :thumb:

Mamma Mia was great too, need to go and see this again soon. Wasn't to keen on Miss Saigon or Les Mis though.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I loved Miss Saigon. Bawled my eyes out I did. Les Mis has one of my favourite soundtracks but I've never seen it. Phantom of the Opera was good too. Starlight Express fascinated me - how the hell do they skate and sing and do all that stuff? Cats was a little strange but again, I enjoyed it. I've also seen Crazy For You, which was great.

I can't choose. I just love the mixture of singing and acting, even though it doesn't always go together too well. Having said that, the Rocky Horror Show is probably an experience I can manage without reliving.
  • Options
    I haven't been to see many that I can remember. The Lion King was amazing, I cried :o

Liking the new av btw Bri.
  • Options
    Not sure if its really a musical but I saw stomp a while ago and thought it was great. Seen chicago which was cool and also saw phantom of the opera which I was bored titless throughout. Loved we will rock you though.
  • Options
    I love musicals. And luckily I get to go for free through work.

I've seen Blood Brother twice (would recommend it), Fame (not that great to be honest), Miss Saigon (loved it), Les Mis (hated and detested it, so depressing and long and no catchy songs), and my favourite is West Side Story which I've seen twice.

I went to see Guys and Dolls with Nigel Harman just before Christmas, that was fantastic.

I also went to see the UB40 musical, that was quite good. I don't like it when there's no proper story, like Fame doesn't have much of a story.

Later this year I'm going to see the Producers, which I've heard lots of good things about.
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I saw Joseph with Jason Donovan too, it was camper than Milletts.

Ohh me three - though i swear I was only about 11 when he was in it so you all must have been so young? I also saw with philip Scofield and again with someone else - possibly darren Day?

Other than that I've seen, South Pacific, West Side Story, Saturday night feaver, Greece, the lady in white, Jesus Christ Super Star, Chicargo, Starlight Express, Cats, the rockey horror show, mamma mia and a few more that i can't remember at the moment!

I love musicals so much though and i'm slightly obsessed by Joseph as are all my friends.
  • Options
    I've not seen that many, I'd love to go to more but I don't know anybody who likes seeing them!

Out of them all though Miss Saigon is my favourite, ever ever. I've seen it 4 times now :)
  • Options
    I :heart: musicals so much!

I have two favourites. The first is Wicked which is based on the stories of the two witches from the wizard of Oz. I saw it a few weeks back and it was so funny and just amazing, especially with Idina Menzel playing Elphaba! The other is Les Mis, i don't know how anyone can say it's dull and boring! It's such a moving story and the music and songs are beautiful, i've seen it twice now and would love to see it again!

I've also seen Joseph (about 3 times, lol), Starlight Express, Phantom of the Opera, Annie, Oliver, The Lion King, Saturday Night Fever, Chicago, Grease, Tommy, Fame, South Pacific, The King and I, Guys and Dolls, The Sound of Music, Cats, My Fair Lady... probably others too but i can't think of any more right now!

I'd choose musicals over plays or concerts any day!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    The Lion King

:heart: Agree with Moon on this. By far my favourite musical

I've also seen Brat Pack - pretty good.
    Saturday Night fever - good, but not as good as I thought it would be
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Surprisingly extraordinarily good
    Rent - hated it
    Phantom of the Opera. On Ice. No comment.

Have to agree with Sophia though - a fun and cheezy night out and missed going to see Avenue Q with some mates this week. Gutted.
  • Options
    Cabaret is my favourite musical ever AND the best I've ever seen performed (and not by a professional theatre company either :thumb:).

I have seen loads though, I bloody love a good musical. Oklahoma!, Guys and Dolls, Blood Brothers and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are the ones I've seen performed that were especially fab though :D
  • Options
    I haven't been to see many that I can remember. The Lion King was amazing, I cried :o

I'm in two minds about going to see that, I really want it to be amazing but I'm scared it's just some fool mucking about in a lion costume :impissed:
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I went to see Beauty and the Beast with a friend and we got told off by the woman in front of us for joinging in with the words :o Specifically, saying "Craaaaaazy old Maurice hey? Craaaaaaazy old Maurice!" Oops. I think I've seen that film a few too many times.

:lol:

I genuinely think we might be soulmates.

I have seen that film 5 billion times and know all the words but the "craaaazy old Maurice" part complete with chin-stroking Gaston-style is my fave quoteable :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I saw Summer Holiday in Blackpool in 1996-ish.
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Not seen that many to be honest. Avenue Q was brilliant. Saw Les Mis and Blood Brothers in NZ years and years ago. Intending to go to Wicked later this month though.
  • Options
    I saw Billy Elliot in London that was very very very very very good.

Then seen footloose in manchester which I thought was OK but would have appreciated it more if i watched the film before the musical.

Wanted to see Mammia Mia but never could afford the tickets boo hoo!!
  • Options
    I don't see the attraction with musicals :confused:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I don't see the attraction with musicals :confused:

Some people don't some people love them.

Personally I love them and would see many more if i was nearer London, seeing as I am up North I don't tend to see as many but hey.

Whateva floats ya boat eh!
  • Options
    Guys and Dolls :heart:

I've seen a lot of musicals but this is my favourite.
  • Options
    They only one I've seen is Starlight express. Twice. I'm really not a massive fan of musicals. Apart from Grease, which I will always love.
  • Options
    Just saw guys and dolls recently (for free!) :D

Seen Chicago twice, caberet was good.

Want to go see Wicked and and I am going to see Avenue Q for my birthday :)
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    I saw Billy Elliot in London that was very very very very very good.
    Oh lucky you, I want to see that so bad. If I ever get to London on time it'll be the first thing I do when I get there! :hyper:
  • Options
    I got tickets yesterday for the King and I in May :heart: