Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chrysler Question Climate Change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247371.stm
global warming is a far-off risk whose magnitude is uncertain

Nice to see a car company cares about profits rather than the environment... :rolleyes: No suprises there I guess, but in terms of the environment do you think all cars should be built to be more environmentally friendly? Even if this meant an increase in car prices?

Comments

• Options
    Evil, stupid cunt.

There is no other way to describe him quite frankly.
  • Options
    :thumb:

When I can afford a new car it's gonna be a big gas guzzling Chrysler.
  • Options

Whys that then?
  • Options
    It shouldn't mean a big rise in prices though should it. Any car company that actually cared would just accept a slight loss in profits. They make a bloody fortune on them anyway - and no I can't prove that, it's just a theory.
  • Options

The above proving (if proof was needed) that far from speaking out of concern for scientific objectivity and open mindness, Disillusioned pretty much knows that man made global warming is a reality but doesn't give a shit about it because like all right wingers he puts his selfish self above everything and everyone on the planet.

At least have the common decency to quit pretending you care about the future of the planet and that you genuinely believe there is a good scientific case against climate change. Clearly that's not the case.
  • Options
    I'm convinced that the climate is changing as it always has done. But I'm not convinced that banning aeroplanes, cars or 'gas guzzling' cars will have any significant impact on climate change whatsoever. (Anyway transport as a whole makes up a pretty small proportion of emissions).

And if cow emissions are more damaging to the planet why is it that we never hear about anything other than 'gas guzzling' cars? They're an easy target perhaps? Everybody hates oil companies and General Motors. I guess you don't eat beef Aladdin? Do you drink milk?

This whole 'global warming' debate in the present political climate has nothing to do with scientific concerns. I don't think anybody is gullible or stupid enough to actually believe that doubling taxes on flights or sticking black boxes in cars (to monitor where you're going and charge you per mile) will save the planet. 'Global warming' for 'concerned' politicians is a ploy to tax us more and interfere in our lives even more.

It's become taboo to question this fashionable global warming dogma, good on this chap from Chrysler for speaking his mind.

Now about that gas-guzzling Chrysler...This monster made by Dodge (which Chrysler own I think) looks pretty good:
    ram_2500_hotspot.jpg

345 horsepower 5.7 litre V8...Swish.
  • Options
    I'm convinced that the climate is changing as it always has done. But I'm not convinced that banning aeroplanes, cars or 'gas guzzling' cars will have any significant impact on climate change whatsoever. (Anyway transport as a whole makes up a pretty small proportion of emissions).
    Why do you not think that cutting down on transport will have an impact on climate change? Granted that it is also partly caused by other man made factors agriculture, landfill sites, fossil fuel power stations, food miles ect ect
    And if cow emissions are more damaging to the planet why is it that we never hear about anything other than 'gas guzzling' cars? They're an easy target perhaps? Everybody hates oil companies and General Motors. I guess you don't eat beef Aladdin? Do you drink milk?
    The meat industry is noted by environmentalists, although probably not pressed as hard at the moment because vegetarianism/veganism is something which is harder to encourage people to do (compared with asking people to get the bus). The meat industry is indeed destructive, the dairy industry probably less so, although the alternatives to dairy are difficult. I mean what is more environmentally friendly, soya milk, rice milk, cow's milk, goats milk?
    This whole 'global warming' debate in the present political climate has nothing to do with scientific concerns. I don't think anybody is gullible or stupid enough to actually believe that doubling taxes on flights or sticking black boxes in cars (to monitor where you're going and charge you per mile) will save the planet. 'Global warming' for 'concerned' politicians is a ploy to tax us more and interfere in our lives even more.

It's become taboo to question this fashionable global warming dogma, good on this chap from Chrysler for speaking his mind.

Now about that gas-guzzling Chrysler...This monster made by Dodge (which Chrysler own I think) looks pretty good:
    ram_2500_hotspot.jpg

345 horsepower 5.7 litre V8...Swish.
    Why would the IPCC lie? What about the Stern Report?

Maybe you're too cynical about the government, or haven't read much on climate change.
  • Options
    I guess Dis the reason why people complain about monster trucks but not cows is that the former are entirely irrelevant and unnecessary for no fewer than 95% of their owners. A totally pointless and stupid vehicle.

Whereas cows have been and still are rather important to the human race- not to mention a living creature of its own accord.

A massive 33% of all greenhouse gasses emitted by the US come directly from fossil fuels. If monster trucks and other gas guzzlers were to be ditched by all but those who genuinely needed one, the US would cut its emissions easily by 15%+. If other countries were to follow suit the reduction in harmful gasses would be very considerable.

No matter how you look at it, the fact remains that anyone who insists on driving a ridiculously large, heavy, innapropriate and overpowered vehicle purely because they like the look of it are being selfish fucking tossers. It's high time some people stopped denying the undeniable simply because they don't want to give up their favourite toy and started acting responsibly.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I guess Dis the reason why people complain about monster trucks but not cows is that the former are entirely irrelevant and unnecessary for no fewer than 95% of their owners. A totally pointless and stupid vehicle.

Whereas cows have been and still are rather important to the human race- not to mention a living creature of its own accord.

Oh but if global warming is as important as you believe and if, cow 'emissions' are indeed more damaging than "cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together" surely slowing the growth of the cow population should at the very least be top priority? (But it's not - the priority is taxing 4x4s, taxing airline passengers and making people feel guilty for setting foot on an aeroplane).

Cows might be very useful but it's possible to live without them. Sure, driving an SUV is not a necessity for most people but then eating beef several times a week isn't a necessity but some people do. And it's all apparently some part of this global warming problem.

I do have concerns for the environment (although, deforestation and overpopulation strike me as greater dangers to the planet than 4x4s and aeroplanes) but I can't really see the purpose in the green brigade focusing all of its energies into campaigning against 4x4s and aeroplanes. (And I find environmental issues being used to increase taxes and take away more power from the people disgusting).

But, I'm optimistic. The countries resentful of being energy dependent on undesirable sources also happen to be centres of research and development - and in the end such research will be further bolstered by the simple fact that fossil fuels are running out. If it's not an alternative, it'll be the simple fact that there are none left that ends use of fossil fuels, forget Kyoto.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497116/

I think most people would benefit from watching this, if at all possible.

Personally, I don't care what you all do with regard to global warming and climate change. We're fucked, whichever way you choose to look at it. The virus we really are has all but sealed the fate of this planet.

We're a parasite. We rape the planet of it's natural resources, dump our crap into the land, sea and air, and have no regard for anything else lucky enough to inhabit this beautiful place.

Let Disillusioned have his thirsty Tonka-toy. People are inherently selfish and have little regard for land we believe to be ours. Why expect him to be any different to 90% of the rest of the population?
  • Options
    Oh but if global warming is as important as you believe and if, cow 'emissions' are indeed more damaging than "cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together" surely slowing the growth of the cow population should at the very least be top priority? (But it's not - the priority is taxing 4x4s, taxing airline passengers and making people feel guilty for setting foot on an aeroplane).
    Methane lasts for 12 years in the atmosphere... CO2 for anything up to 200 years (not that I condone the meat trade). So effectively the damage by CO2 is more permenent.
    Cows might be very useful but it's possible to live without them. Sure, driving an SUV is not a necessity for most people but then eating beef several times a week isn't a necessity but some people do. And it's all apparently some part of this global warming problem.
    Yes, we can live off a vegan or ovo-vegetarian diet, but then a lot of vegan foods contain soy which still has an environmental impact, rice paddies also emit methane (instead of milk you can have rice milk)... Also, the majority of vegan products I've come across also contain palm oil.

You have already said that part of the problem is the meat industry, but you can't deny SUV's have an environmental impact. Why not get a bus, or ride a bike, walk, get a train? Electric cars are already out too (although personally I'm sceptical of biofuels). I live in Kingstn, which apparently has more big ass cars than any other London boroughs... Why the hell do you need such a big car unless you're a farmer or park ranger?

Compensating for something?
    I do have concerns for the environment (although, deforestation and overpopulation strike me as greater dangers to the planet than 4x4s and aeroplanes) but I can't really see the purpose in the green brigade focusing all of its energies into campaigning against 4x4s and aeroplanes. (And I find environmental issues being used to increase taxes and take away more power from the people disgusting).
    I think a big problem some people have with environmentalism is that they don't want their luxiaries taken away, or to feel guilty for enjoying them. Kenyan mini sweetcorns, cheap flights to Ibiza, their own cars ect. At the same time I think people are right about taxes and we do need to really look at how it will affect the poorest in society.

I would not go so far as to say governments use climate change as an excuse to tax people though. Taxes are there to deter people from living less green lifestyles, although rewarding them for living earth friendly lifestyles may be a better option.
  • Options
    I have been reliably informed, through my academic grapevine, that Jaguar are currently testing an engine that runs so clean the air intake is dirtier than the exhaust.

Chin up P&D, not all car companies a shits.
  • Options
    I don't think global warming has anything to do with us and, to be brutally honest, I think that humans are (yet again) guilty of believing that they are stronger than nature. I also think that environmental campaigners do have ulterior motives which habe more to do with their idea of a perfect world than anything to do with the environment. The Green Party's ideological roots are in banning immigration, emigration and movement of people; effectively a return to the Dark Ages of tribal villages.

Ten years ago scientists were confidently predicting a new ice age after two cold winters. Two warm wet winters and suddenly its global warming and the ice caps are melting. Personally I think El Nino has far more effect than the power stations when it comes to the temperature of the planet. And besides which, the dinosaurs roamed a hot, wet and boggy earth for millions of years; who's to say that we've all just been living through a bit of a cold snap.

I think pollution is a bad thing, and anything that cuts it is a good thing- we used to live on a main road, and our windows were always caked in grime, grime that we were breathing in. That's not good for people. A lot of what we do is damaging- quarrying, mining, landfills, sea dumping, car pollution, nuclear pollution- and we are doing it in far larger quantities that we ever used to. That needs to stop, but not for climate reasons, but for the reason that it is foul. The crap in the sky and the crap in the ground cannot be good for us, but I don't think its going to make us melt. If we're meant to melt I don't think we can stop it.

But I honestly don't think that we are affecting the temperature of the planet, especially as we've only had records for 400 years and the mediaeval period is considered by some to be a mini ice-age. It's certainly regarded in some circles that the Romans enjoyed a similar climate to us.
  • Options
    Kermit, genuinely after the first suggestions of global warming came out people starting to look at how to find out earlier temps - using ice coring, examining tree rings, etc they have been able to accurately look at the temprature for a lot longer back. You can argue about what the results mean with regards to the level of human cause but the facts have stood up to continual scrutiny -
    The way scientists measure and interpret various proxies depends on the information each proxy provides. For example, to obtain temperature records from tree rings, scientists drill cores into several trees that are growing in a region. They identify site-specific factors that influence tree growth such as temperature, precipitation, altitude, and tree age, and then compare these factors against the width or density of the tree rings over the lifetime of the tree. The scientists then standardize the regional data and remove or adjust for individual tree growth responses that are not related to climatic factors. These can include forest density (trees in an open location face less competition for moisture and light than trees growing in a densely forested area) and tree age (a tree grows differently at the beginning and end of its life).
    The scientific discussion has focused on the best statistical method for combining these various records to accurately capture temperature fluctuations for the Northern Hemisphere. As is typical of the scientific process, independent teams of researchers have worked to reproduce the results of the "hockey stick" by using their own approaches and even by using slightly different data. These studies sometimes produce slightly higher temperature fluctuations in the past compared with the initial study. But despite their differences, they still yield the same essential conclusion: the past 10- to 20-year period was likely the warmest of the past millennium.
    The hockey stick graph constitutes only one among literally thousands of pieces of evidence that have contributed to the present scientific consensus on the human influence on global warming. In 2001, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concluded in its authoritative third assessment report that "there is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities."

1.jpg

graph-for-web.gif

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/hockeystickFAQ.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3569604.stm
  • Options
    I don't wish to dispute the scientific evidence (in the last ten years temperatures have been warmer in a lot of Europe and North America), but I don't think the IPCC is especially neutral. After all, failure to find climate change would rather negate the whole existence of the IPCC. I also don't believe other scientific evidence will indicates that cars are great, for the record.

I know a bit about this but not a lot, and a bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, I just happen to believe that the human cause of the warm weather is grossly overstated. We should be cutting back on consumption and pollution for a million other reasons, but not for climate reasons.