Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

using rollers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am very nieve here...but how the hell do they actually work...and am i better using those than using a braun gas styling thing...

Comments

• Options
    First you section your hair. It works best on wet hair. You then take a piece of hair and starting at the end you roll the roller around the hair until you get to your scalp. It'll either be clipped in place or will be velcro and will stick itself (it depends which type of rollers you buy). You do the same all over your head, usually in an orderly fashion so that they follow the natural hair pattern (partings and such).
    Leave them to dry naturally, or you can give them a helping hand with a hairdryer. Let them cool totally, or the curls will drop out.

When they're cool, take them out by unwinding them the same way you put them in.

Finger and tease until you like what you see......
  • Options
    If you wash your hair in the evening, put the rollers in and sleep with them overnight, it works well because the hair has plenty of time to dry - I think if you tried to do them in the morning then you might end up getting impatient and unrolling them too early. It's not very comfortable sleeping in rollers but that's what people used to do in the past and you do get used to it apparently!

I use a gas curling iron for curling my hair, but I only do it for special occasions as my hair's quite thick and it takes ages (about an hour). It's also not good if you're impatient because you can only do one strand at a time and you have to hold the iron there long enough so the hair sets itself into a curl - at least with rollers you put them in and can sit around doing something else while they do their magic.

Anyone have any recommendations for good rollers?
  • Options
    i want medium sized curls rather than corkscrew curls, but i will buy some rollers and see how they do...
  • Options
    people in rollers look funny.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    people in rollers look funny.
    Especially on a night out :lol:
  • Options
    rofl
  • Options
    If ya have the big ones, not heat ones either... is it very hard to sleep with them? I want to try rollers, just the leave in ones, to keep drying easier and get the look...
  • Options
    I use those bendy rag roller things.
    They are heated and after i have finished inserting the last 1 into my hair the first one is about cool so i start taking them out. They work really well in making curls and to be honest the best method i have found.

Tried sleeping in rollers but couldnt get used to it and curling irons take too long on my very thick hair.