Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctors Appointments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right If I want an appointment at my local health centre I have to ring up after 7.45am THE DAY I WANT THE APPOINTMENT. So if i wanted my appointment on monday I couldnt ring up now, would have to on Monday morning.

Is this everybodys health centre/GPs like this or do some GPs not have really stupid unpractical appointment systems?

Comments

• Options
    Yep.
    Morning appointments you ring between 7 and 1030 - afternoons 230 - 4.
    God knows how but there's always only 1 or 2 appointments left by 236!
    I find it useful if I'm really ill as I can see someone on that say.
  • Options
    It's better than having a back log of 2 weeks to see the doctors, by which time it's probably gone.

Ours is the same, have to ring first thing in the morning and get an appointment that day. It's alot better. 7.45 is early but it's not too bad.
  • Options
    But then if you can't ring till say 8.15, 8.30 then you have no chance of getting an appointment. Never mind when I need to see a doctor after 2 when I am out of college, I got no chance then.
  • Options
    At mine you can just ring whenever. They don't seem to have a system in place where you book that morning, everythings already booked up. Although they do let you ring up that morning for emergency appointments between like 9am and 10am.
  • Options
    Mine is, ring in the morning for an appointment that day, or to see a specific doc on their next free pre-booked time, usually in about a week. If you phone in the afternoon they might have free slots for that day, especially on the days they run late clinic for people that work. Receptionists at new Docs are rather nice, shame the docs are all pricks though really, it's one or t'other it seems!
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Mine is, ring in the morning for an appointment that day, or to see a specific doc on their next free pre-booked time, usually in about a week. If you phone in the afternoon they might have free slots for that day, especially on the days they run late clinic for people that work.

Now that is a good doctors, good appointment system. Fucking hate my health centre!
  • Options
    It is a good system, the wiating rooms are nice, parking is ample, toilets are fresh and stocked with toilet paper, there's a kiddy play area with decent books and toys, good reading magazines, get seen close on time to appointment time, chemist on site, all you could ask for...
  • Options
    I have to phone up on the day for a doctors appointment, but can book about a week in advance to see the practise nurse, who I see a lot more anyway. If I want a morning appointment you have to phone by 8.15 and the phones open at 8.
  • Options
    It really annoys me, does it not bug anyone else??

I can't make any appointment in advance for anything. Even if you are due for a smear or something you have to ring on that day. Bloody rediculous!
  • Options
    At mine you can make an appointment in advance. I think you have to make an appointment in advance actualy cos its unlikely that you would get an appointment on the day you ring up. Though i think they have to have some emergency slots every day.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    So if i wanted my appointment on monday I couldnt ring up now, would have to on Monday morning.

Isn't there some government guideline that says you have to have an appoinment within 3 days of phoning up, or something simialr. By doing what they do at your clinic they're getting round this, a well known practice.

Mine's not too bad i'm usually seen that day or the next.
  • Options
    Still doesn't help when I need to go on Friday afternoon after college but cannot actually make the appointment until Friday morning, which I won't be able to actually do at 7.45am. Wish I could just ring up now.

Suppose when I am ill I would be mad if they told me I had to wait till the day after or the day after to see a doctor.

Works both way!
  • Options
    I get why they do it but to not be able to make an advanced appointment at all is madness.Have you lookda t changing practices?
  • Options
    My old docs used to do the 'ring on the day' thing, and it used to drive me insane.

They'd tell you to ring after 8, so you'd phone at 7.58, when it would ringandringandring. Phone at 8.01 and it would be engaged, and stay engaged until about 8.40, when you'd get through and be told all the appointments had gone, and you should ring the next morning at 8. And so on for the next 4 or 5 days. :mad:

My current practice is fab. They have a percentage of pre-bookable slots which you might have to wait a few days for, but are perfect for when you know you'll need to see someone soon (like pill checkups). But then if you want to be seen on the day, you can ring in the morning and leave a contact number, then at some point the doctor will ring you, decide if you need to be seen and then give you an appointment then and there, or decide you don't need to be seen and give you advice over the phone. :thumb:
  • Options
    My GP at home and possibly the most useless and abrupt receptionist known to man, who has never heard of patient confidentiality.

You have to ring on the dot of 0845 for an urgent appointment that morning (and persuade the dragon that you're dying and deserve one), and if you don't get one then and need one then you can try for an urgent afternoon one at 1430.

You can also book in advance, but you can only book a max of 6 weeks in advance, and you'll have to wait about 3 weeks for a 'routine' appointment.

It's a very very annoying system, and there's no provision in it for something you'd like checking out in the next couple of days, and if you don't lie to the receptionist then there's no way you'll see a doctor the same day.

My GP at uni is awesome, you can book up to 3 months in advance, or ring up anytime and if it's urgent they'll see you that session, if it's less urgent they'll see you in the next couple of days. They've got a common ailments nurse too, who deals with loads of simple stuff and will get a doctor if needed. They are quite simply fantastic.
  • Options
    my drs you dont book, u just turn up and wait. there are a few appointments in the morning on a monday but thats it.

You need to book for bloods or asthma clinc thou, but that is usually within a few days and you can ring up any time.

i prefer it that way!
  • Options
    You can't pre-book at mine. Ring at 8:30, listen to an engaged tone repeatedly for 30 mins and then be told there are no appointments and that you are to ring back the next day. In theory it's good for people that need appointments then and there BUT if you can't get through you're buggered and will probably be feeling better by the tenth day or repeating this process anyway.

Do what I eventually did - go to a walk in centre. They will deal with you if they can and if not they will phone and make an appointment for you, even if 'there are no pre-bookable appointments'.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Isn't there some government guideline that says you have to have an appoinment within 3 days of phoning up, or something simialr.

Not a guideline, a rule. Information here

You have the "right" to book an appointment 48 hours in advance, with a GP of your choice, or within 24 with any health professional.

People, your practice is being paid to make sure this happens - £1.37 per patient and the average number of patient at a practice is about 5,500 - average of £7.5k per practice.
  • Options
    The doctor's I go to are nothing like this. I was asked by my GP to make an appointment for 2 weeks later a few years ago and they just said (reception) that it was fine to do that and gave me an appointment for then. Sometimes we would be able to ring them up and they'd give us an appointment for later that day.
  • Options
    my doctor surgery is pretty good. Open from 8 am and last appointment is 6.15pm. I phone up whenever I like for an appointment, whether it be for that morning or a week later. I have never been 'refused' an appointment. Sometimes you just need to be felxible on who you see. I have not seen my own GP in the last 5 years but that does not bother me.
  • Options
    My old surgery used to do the ring on the day thing which I used to like.

My new surgery does advance booking with isnt so good, if you want to see a named doctor it's a 7 day wait.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    My old surgery used to do the ring on the day thing which I used to like.

My new surgery does advance booking with isnt so good, if you want to see a named doctor it's a 7 day wait.

1. Ask them if they will put in writing that you need to wait 7 days
    2. Inform your PCT, anyway.

Seriously, they are getting paid taxpayers money for doing this. If they aren't doing it then it's theft IMHO.
  • Options
    1. Ask them if they will put in writing that you need to wait 7 days
    2. Inform your PCT, anyway.

Seriously, they are getting paid taxpayers money for doing this. If they aren't doing it then it's theft IMHO.
    They told me before requesting a specific doctor meant I was refusing an appointment in the 3 day rule thing, is that not the case then?
  • Options
    My surgery is the best. Drop-in each morning between 8.45 and 10am and get seen the same morning. Or phone up and make an appointment up-to a month away. Morning surgery is generally fairly busy, so I get up there for around 8am as I don't like crowded rooms.

My doctor is excellent too, if I don't make it up there in the morning(I have big problems sleeping), he'll squeeze me between patients or let me take an emergency evening appointment.

Can't think of a better system. They should all be like this :).
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    They told me before requesting a specific doctor meant I was refusing an appointment in the 3 day rule thing, is that not the case then?

Yeah, it's "a" GP only for the 48 hour rule. You have to accept tha tthe GP may not actually be on duty within that timeframe (they are allowed holidays apparently :no: )
  • Options
    I rang up today and asked for a female doctor and they said they dont have on in today. I asked if I could book to see one next week and it was a "no you will have to ring up the morning you want the appointment". Because my whole life revolves around the pissing doctors doesn't it! grrr! I know I am being picky by asking for a female doctor but I don't give a shit, If I want a female doctor then I should be able to see one surely? :banghead:
  • Options
    I think i clearly am abnormal and hardly ever have to see the doctor because I have no idea what kind of system my doctors uses - but i think you can both book in advance or phone up and get an "emergency appointment" on the day. But i've only been to see an actual doctor their once.

However I will get to my point - I didn't have to see a doctor for my smear - one of the practice nurse's did it - did you tell them why you were phoning - maybe you don't need to see a nurse at all.

otherwise you could try your local familly planning clinic - though these now have a different name and i've no idea what they are called - that's where I had all my other ones done and you could get an appoitnment there or just walk in and they were alwasy in the evening as well.
  • Options
    I dont know what to do about mine.
    I work mon-fri 9-5.30. The doctor i see only works tues and fri and u have to book on the morning. But more often than not its engaged then fully booked. Work need an appointment card as proof of why you're having time off. So i cant tell work ill be at a certain time because i have no choice and if i use my holiday entitlement, i may end up wasting it because theres no appointment available.
    I have to go to the doctors at least every 2 months aswell.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Work need an appointment card as proof of why you're having time off.

They shouldn't.

It's up to them to prove that you are lying, not the other way around.
  • Options
    Thats the wonderful NHS for you, ya can barely have a wee without having paperwork to fill in.