Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Chartered Accountants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know how many exams need to taken, what the workload for the exams is like and what courses gain exemptions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Accredited Degree level Accountancy courses gain some exemptions, and to a certain extent the exemptions you gain will also depend on your grades.

From what I could gather when I looked into it there were a fair number exams over several years to get fully chartered and the work load preparing for them was fairly huge.

There's someone around here that's training to be one, do a search for accountant and you might find where they mentioned it in a thread.
    freeallangels19 I think.

I PM her frequently annoying her with questions about it all :D
    freeallangels19 I think.

Yeah you are correct. I remember in the how much do you get paid thread that she mentioned when she is a fully qualified accountant she will get such and such a year.
    Depends what exam you're studying for.

I only know about the syllabus for the ACA exams which is split into 7 sections.

- Accounting
    - Audit & Assurance
    - Business Finance
    - Business Management
    - Financial Reporting
    - Taxation
    - Law (Commercial and Company)
    Check the professional bodies websites, there are a few through which you can gain chartered status and it depends whether you're doing management or financial accounting. Bear in mind that it's not just the exams, you work full time as well, so it's pretty intense although some firms send their employees on full time courses.

A lot of accountancy courses from well considered universities have exemptions, again, in order to find out which you need to have a look at the website. I think that the exemptions are primarily based upon a first time pass at a certain level, but i'm not sure - the website for the qualification i'm doing just says that it's discretionary. I did a degree in accounting and i got exemptions from quite a few exams - i have 5 left to take now.

Let me know if you want to know any more, i'll help if i can - but i'm training as a chartered management accountant so it might not be too relevant.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    freeallangels19 I think.

1) Its not frequent and 2) Its not annoying. :D

I'm a fully qualified AAT accounts person. Currently on a study break. Planning to do CIMA not charted though so dont know the ins and outs that well. (I nearly died of boredom in a practise on work expereince) Best bodies to look at if you want to do chartered accounting are ACCA and ICAEW are the main proffessional bodies. Minimum study time is a good two-five years depending on how fast you work through the exams support you get etc. Degree exemptions vary by course and accounts body. If you do AAT it gets you quite a few exemptions as well.