Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Problem with my phone number

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, ever since I bought my mobile several months ago, I've been getting texts from a Sri Lankan demanding that I tell them where someone called Sagara Dinesh is, and when I didn't reply because I have no idea who the fuck this is, I started getting texts like...
"Y cant u say at least NO. plz dnt be so rude. r UK ppl rude this much. is tht cos your white skin.m. sorry."
and...
"hai, im so tired of asking WHO R U? Y r si rude like dis. dont u hav sisters."
Along with some other crazy stuff.
The texts stopped after a while, but then I started getting phone calls from a different number with somone speaking in a foreign language (punjabi? I don't know) and I kept trying to speak to them with no luck so hung up.
Anyway today I got a text from Teanant loan, adressed to a 'Mr Sagara Dinesh' and saying that my loan application of £50,000 has been successful and that he'd like to arrange payment and for me to contact him on a number.
What the fuck is going on here? I'm not going to have bills sent to through to my house or anything am I? And how the fuck do I stop getting texts and phone calls from Sri Lankans, it's starting to do my nut!

Comments

• Options
    Who did you buy the mobile from?

It sounds like something's gone wrong at the phone company, give them a call, and if they won't resolve the issue ask for a new number.

We had a similar problem with Telewest- sometimes they recycle numbers.
  • Options
    Dunno sorry, but it sounds like they have a split personality. Canny funny (and strange) :razz:
  • Options
    I have to admit I did buy it off someone, but she is one of my really good mates who had only just bought the phone herself but decided she wanted a phone with bluetooth (which this doesn't have) so she sold it to me, no dodgy business. Although she does admit to me now that I've bought the bloody thing that she had recieved a few similar texts and phone calls.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Dunno sorry, but it sounds like they have a split personality. Canny funny (and strange) :razz:

Lol I have to admit that at first I found the texts hillarious, provided me and my mates with many good laughs, but now the phone calls and texts from Teanant Loan are really annoying me.
  • Options
    Yea I'd get in touch with your phone company first, in case it's a scam where texting / calling back costs you ridiculous amounts.

I've never been text spammed except by my friends who say 'you are beautiful. now send this on to 8 beautiful people or you will forever be ugly' or something silly like that.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I've never been text spammed except by my friends who say 'you are beautiful. now send this on to 8 beautiful people or you will forever be ugly' or something silly like that.

I love that shit it is hilarious! The last one I got was a Magners related ode to friendship. Interesting. Always the same daft bat that sends 'em too :razz:
  • Options
    We got that too...BT recycle numbers. We got calls to Mr Sandeep Gordon from Pakistan
  • Options
    Why not just change the sim? not exactly challenging..
  • Options
    Sounds as though someone's stole your address mate.

Get onto the citizen's advice bureau.
  • Options
    Ive had this before too. Only it was my house phone. Somebody rang twice a week for two years asking for a Mr Knapp! Did my nut in!!! Wouldn't believe us when we said it was the wrong number! :banghead:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    pill 'ed wrote:
    I have to admit I did buy it off someone, but she is one of my really good mates who had only just bought the phone herself but decided she wanted a phone with bluetooth (which this doesn't have) so she sold it to me, no dodgy business. Although she does admit to me now that I've bought the bloody thing that she had recieved a few similar texts and phone calls.
    If it was the phone she didn't want, why did she give you the SIM as well? Sounds strange.
  • Options
    jordy wrote:
    Mr Knapp! :
    LOL
  • Options
    If it was the phone she didn't want, why did she give you the SIM as well? Sounds strange.

Probably because it's usually cheaper to buy a new phone with a SIM than it is to get one without, unless you're on the kind of contract that does silly upgrades.

I'd suggest ringing up the network customer services and seeing if they can block the number, tell them you're being harassed.
  • Options
    Cheers guys,
    I've had the sri lankan persons number blocked but not the Teanant Loan because it didn't actually come up with a number.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Why not just change the sim? not exactly challenging..
    maybe because he's given out that number to all his mates n doesnt want the hassle of having to give out another new number to all of his friends?
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    maybe because he's given out that number to all his mates n doesnt want the hassle of having to give out another new number to all of his friends?
    Its not exactly that much hassle - 1 text sent to entire phone book. Better than getting dodgy phone calls off some foreign geezer.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Its not exactly that much hassle - 1 text sent to entire phone book. Better than getting dodgy phone calls off some foreign geezer.
    fair enough

i`d rather just ring my provider n have foreign calls blocked though ;)

but i`m lazy
  • Options
    I could have got a new sim and just sent a text to everyone but lack of credit or any money at all kind of stopped me doing that lol, so yeah I went with the blocking option
  • Options
    Has it worked?
  • Options
    It appears to have worked, although as I said I couldn't block the Teant Loan number because no number came up for it, but I only had the one text from them anyway.