Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Security gone mad? Halifax online service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a bone to pick with them. They're a bit rubbish online. Whereas barclays give you a username, a 5 digit numerical pin, and a secret word where they ask for certain letters (like the 2nd and 8th, for example) - Halifax are rubbish.

You have to enter a username, which it never remembers, so I've remembered it of by heart even though it's one of those jsmith124235635764572451234 jobbys. Grr. Then password. Mine was insecure; so I changed it. Finally. You have to go from the main page to 'online services' then 'change password', but because there's so much spam for loans i didnt know what the online services meant.

Ok, there's two down, but then they ask you a simple question, like your mothers name, first school, etc. - thats ok too.

So I'm in, want to open a websaver account. 5% APR. I click on it, but then they want me to tell them my name and stuff :eek2: I'm already signed into the account?? They then say they need my password. So I put it in. Guess what?

It's a different password. I have an 'account password' and a 'web password' and god knows how many and it just says 'password'. So obviously, I locked out my account.

So how many numbers do you have to remember?

Barclays
PIN, 5 digit online PIN, secret word

Halifax
PIN, username, password, personal info, telephone passcode, 'secret password' which I have no idea what it is :confused: (a name or a place, apparently) etc.

Doing my nut in now. I couldn't even ask the guys at student loan company a while back if I had given permission for my financial information to be shared, because he asked me as a security question what was the other female contact other than my mum, it was my aunt, then he wanted her address - who here can remember their aunts address???

Seriously, the sooner everything goes fingerprints the better. I have to wait now for Halifax to send me a new password. Might be better off just going back to barclays. Halifax said when I joined up they were going to set up a new online interface, but it's still as old as feck, doesn't work properly, I mean don't take my word for it: https://www.halifax-online.co.uk/_mem_bin/formslogin.asp look

grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Comments

• Options
    I personally love Halifax. I have an easy username, an alpanumeric password and a collection of security questions, like my first school, or my dad's first name etc.

HSBC works too, IB number and a security number that it only ever asks you for part of.
  • Options
    If you phone up though, they ask you for your 'password' and I've no idea what it is.

I only signed up with them for the big interest free overdraft, but when I phoned up for it, they wanted my 'password'. Enigmatic password. Customer service isn't great, they seem a bit rude, talk down to ya like.
  • Options
    *shrugs* I've never had any problems.
  • Options
    I like Natwest Online. You give them your customer number, which is essentially your Date of Birth plus a couple of numbers. Then a couple of letters/numbers from your PIN, then from your password and you're in! :)
  • Options
    It's just a bit frustrating when you have 3 passwords to remember and then if something goes wrong they ask you for your secret password which you have no idea what it is.

Should have just gone on webcam and shown them my passport :lol:
  • Options
    Ohh I totally have this problem as well - i forgot all the info about my account the moment after I set it up, so the only way i could ever get any money was to get it out with my account card - which has since been stolen - arghghgh. Thankfully i've only £100 left in it.

They won't even talk to you over the phone about it either you have to do everything on line. Thankfully all my other halifax accounts are all nice and easy to understand and can be sorted out over the telephone.
  • Options
    EDIT: Oops, wrong thread.
  • Options
    I've been with HSBC online banking a while now and its really easy. Just an IB then a long number (which if you use a lot then you'll remember in no time) then DOB and three of your numbers from your security number and thats it! It's also a great online service. All the accounts are kept up to date instantly, e.g. i took some money to the bank, ten mins later when I had got back home it had already shown up online. It was also dead easy to open other accounts. I set up a credit card account and I didn't have to do anything, it just popped up online once my account was opened. I also set up a savings account instantaniously (sp?) and was transfering money in minutes. A great online service!

I did have a Barclays online account but I found they weren't as good as HSBC and they didn't give me a huge 0% overdraft which increases every year without me asking for it :D