Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religious groups trying keep discrimination of gays legal

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the owner of a B&B, pub or club wishes to ban smokers, gay couples or whoever it is the owner's decision. Government involvement should be limited to forcing such businesses to clearly state such discriminatory admissions policies. That way people can choose to boycott such establishments if they disagree.
  • Options
    If the owner of a B&B, pub or club wishes to ban smokers, gay couples or whoever it is the owner's decision. Government involvement should be limited to forcing such businesses to clearly state such discriminatory admissions policies. That way people can choose to boycott such establishments if they disagree.
    I don't agree with that, but at least you're consistant. Personally, I believe that anyone who opens a business to the public should be required to serve all of the public without discrimination. Both are equally valid positions in my view. What I can't stand is people who sit in the middle and want to pick and choose the basis on which they are allowed to discriminate, because it wouldn't surprise me to learn that these same people would be against allowing business owners to ban Christians, Muslims or Jews (though I have no evidence that they would be against it).
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Maybe it is a different interpretation.

I was talking about physical and verbal harrassment.

I wouldn`t exactly say it flew over my head but I did, and do, deal with it.

However, I think you are mixing up harassment and discrimination.

The latter I see as passive (at worst) and personally positive (at best).
    Uh... How can you mix up harassment and discrimination?

Here we have different interpretations.

There are no "ginger people".

There are individuals with "ginger" attributes.

In my experience, grouping people causes,paradoxically, division among individuals.
    Makes no sense... Are you Klintock's less mean twin or something?

And is this division always a bad thing?
    I`m unclear by what you mean as treating people as equal.

My guess is that you don`t. And I bet you discriminate. And I would probably commend you for doing so in many instances.

Again... I don't see the point in this.

You claim that understanding differences between people segregates society, no shit. Then you put society in speech marks and say "society can't treat anyone"... Are you talking about society as an entity? Do you not believe it can exist?

I discriminate? No shit... Who the hell doesn't? Simplistic statement, no point to it.
  • Options
    I don't agree with that, but at least you're consistant. Personally, I believe that anyone who opens a business to the public should be required to serve all of the public without discrimination.

Plenty of hotels reject all-male or all-female group bookings (perhaps if they don't want the stag do/hen night crowd). You presumably think hotels have no right to do that? The reason hotels would provide for turning down such bookings would probably be that they are 'family-orientated' establishments or have had problems in the past with such bookings - which certainly isn't serving all of the public without discrimination...

Some gay bars/clubs turn away straight people. Should this be allowed? (I believe this will be banned with the new legislation). I don't agree.

The nearest pub to where I went to school always refused service to Sixth Formers with a school tie (even if over 18 with ID and outside school hours). Should they be allowed to do that? I think so - but I always thought they were twats for it and consequently I always avoided the place whatever clothes I was wearing and I still avoid it because I didn't like their policy. (Or attitude for that matter).

I admit that doesn't compare to refusing service because of someone's race or sexuality - but I know for sure that if establishments intent on refusing service to people for that reason were forced to publicly and clearly acknowledge their bigoted policies, a lot of people would boycott them. Indeed, wouldn't it be preferable to allow the racist twat to deny entry to black people and for him to then go out of business?
  • Options
    Uh... How can you mix up harassment and discrimination?

The way you have ?

You brought up harassment in a thread discussing discrimination.

Makes no sense... Are you Klintock's less mean twin or something?

:lol::lol:

Not that I`m aware of.I have a similar accent to young Mr.Klintock and that`s about it.
    And is this division always a bad thing?

Not always.
    Again... I don't see the point in this.

You claim that understanding differences between people segregates society, no shit. Then you put society in speech marks and say "society can't treat anyone"... Are you talking about society as an entity? Do you not believe it can exist?

You appear to be talking about society as an entity. That`s a lie.

All your other groups that you treat as entities likewise.
    I discriminate? No shit... Who the hell doesn't? Simplistic statement, no point to it.

But you are asking a third party to put a gun to the head of someone else who also discriminates, in order to stop it happening.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The implication of the article is that most are, and that the views of these people are somehow officially sanctioned by religious leaders.

I've been thinking about the above comment, and I think kermit is absolutely right, I refer you to my first post in this thread.

I'm embarrassed by this, because the article explicitly mentions christians. None of you are embarrassed because none of you are linked to those people. Because the article says christians, I have to answer for them, because I'm a christian. No-one will expect anything from any of the agnostics or atheists here.

Incidentally, I'm sure you've all noticed that it failed, big surprise.
  • Options
    I think the whole slant was very discriminatory, and if it had been about anyone else there would have been an uproar. Attacking Christians is alright though.

I noticed in a picture of the demonstration that 95% of the people there were black, but if I'd come on and said that "black people hate gays and want pro-gay laws banned" I'd have been rightly attacked for it.

I am in favour of the legislation, although I doubt it will make too much difference. Bouncers still keep black people out if they are racist.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think most people who were against the law were against them using religious justification, but that isn't the same thing as Christians or Muslims being against the law.

The homophobia has nothing to do with their religious beliefs, and their religious beliefs have nothing to do with their homophobia, just as the skin colour of the protestors has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    I admit that doesn't compare to refusing service because of someone's race or sexuality - but I know for sure that if establishments intent on refusing service to people for that reason were forced to publicly and clearly acknowledge their bigoted policies, a lot of people would boycott them. Indeed, wouldn't it be preferable to allow the racist twat to deny entry to black people and for him to then go out of business?
    I wouldn't think so. Simply because in this sad world of ours some of those businesses would do well.

But also because it should be illegal (IMO) to discriminate against anyone on race, ethnic, sexual orientation or religious grounds.
  • Options
  • Options
    I personally think that its more a case that these people hate gays and scrabble around in the dirt for a good reason to hate them. Religion's always a good reason.

Religion used to be used as justification for racism, too, without it having diddly squat to do with it.
  • Options
  • Options
    See, that's exactly the point isn't it. Non-prejudiced christians should be annoyed by the way people use christianity as justification.

No-one else is connected that way. Non-prejudiced brits don't have to apologise for, or be embarrassed by, prejudiced ones. No-one here is doing that.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's definately upsetting, most people wouldn't say that I have to answer for them. But whenever I have a conversation with my friends about my faith, this sort of thing gets brought up, as if I am somehow culpable.

So reporting like this isn't exactly helpful.
  • Options
    This article in the OP is why I’m very sceptical about organised religion. It’s a particularly slippery beast. When events like this occur it’s very difficult find two people from the same faith who believe the same things. Ostensibly all Christians, Muslins, Jews etc. are subscribing to the same doctrine, but in reality member’s views often couldn’t be more polarised. I find this generally means that religious beliefs are cherry-picked, the desirable parts selected and the not so desirable parts selectively ignored – or dismissed as incorrect interpretation. I’m sure that moralistically I have more in common with some Christians, than they do with other Christians, and hence would find it difficult to consolidate, from a religious perspective anyway, what exactly I was supposed to believe as a member of an organised faith.

In practice I think it often means there really isn’t any religious accountability.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    The way you have ?

You brought up harassment in a thread discussing discrimination.
    I don't know even why I bother.

You appear to be talking about society as an entity. That`s a lie.

All your other groups that you treat as entities likewise.
    Why is it a lie?

But you are asking a third party to put a gun to the head of someone else who also discriminates, in order to stop it happening.
    Again, makes no sense... Nor is this even relevent. Where have I (or has anyone) condoned violence to people who don't think like them?

You just come across as if you're pumping out pseudo-intellectual philosophy to confuse people or spark irrelevent debate tbh.
  • Options
    Whilst watching Sky News yesterday, I saw an interview between a bishop (can't remember the exact name now) and Peter Tatchell. Were they able to debate this new law in a sensible manner? Hardly. Both sides accused the other of lying. Tatchell accused the bishop of lying when he said the law would force the church to "promote" (his word, not mine) gay sex. The bishop accused Tatchell of exaggerating, coming very close to saying that homosexuals have enough protection in the law. The end of the "discussion" couldn't come soon enough, frankly.

As for my views on this... I don't believe that people should be forced to promote things that they don't believe in. Muslims, for example, have no time for gays. I don't agree with that view, but they are perfectly entitled to believe it. That said, I don't think anyone should be allowed to actively discriminate against someone else on the grounds of sexuality, nor anything else. If, and that's a very big if, the new laws force people to promote practices they don't agree with, then I would be deeply uncomfortable with its introduction.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Whilst watching Sky News yesterday, I saw an interview between a bishop (can't remember the exact name now) and Peter Tatchell. Were they able to debate this new law in a sensible manner? Hardly. Both sides accused the other of lying. Tatchell accused the bishop of lying when he said the law would force the church to "promote" (his word, not mine) gay sex. The bishop accused Tatchell of exaggerating, coming very close to saying that homosexuals have enough protection in the law. The end of the "discussion" couldn't come soon enough, frankly.

As for my views on this... I don't believe that people should be forced to promote things that they don't believe in. Muslims, for example, have no time for gays. I don't agree with that view, but they are perfectly entitled to believe it. That said, I don't think anyone should be allowed to actively discriminate against someone else on the grounds of sexuality, nor anything else. If, and that's a very big if, the new laws force people to promote practices they don't agree with, then I would be deeply uncomfortable with its introduction.
    But I don't see how it is anything to do with "promoting" LGBT lifestyles, it is not asking the church to give pro-gay sermons, it is simply saying that doctors cannot refuse a smear test for lesbians (as has happened), or insurance, or to discriminate against LGBT people in restearunts and hotels.

There was a good article in the Guardian before Christmas about it (the Guardian is 20p in my uni shop, cheap read), I think Ruth Kelly said something too. Can't quite remember.

To be honest, why is it any business of any religious group what people do behind closed doors?

I think the new act is great. You can't refuse somebody a service on the grounds they are black, or of a diffeent religion to you, so why should somebody who is gay have any less rights?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's definately upsetting, most people wouldn't say that I have to answer for them. But whenever I have a conversation with my friends about my faith, this sort of thing gets brought up, as if I am somehow culpable.

I've noticed the very same thing happening with Americans, British people seem to latch on to them and blame them personally for all the ills of the Bush administration.
  • Options
    There was a good article in the Guardian before Christmas about it (the Guardian is 20p in my uni shop, cheap read), I think Ruth Kelly said something too. Can't quite remember....

I think the new act is great. You can't refuse somebody a service on the grounds they are black, or of a diffeent religion to you, so why should somebody who is gay have any less rights?
    I do find The Guardian newspaper to be very smooth on the rear myself. It flushes well too, but I digress.

Consider this scenario, for example. A young woman comes in to see a Catholic doctor. She wants to know how she can get an abortion. I don't think the doctor should be forced to tell her, as he's more likely than not to be against abortion - he may see it as a form of murder. However, I don't think that he should be forcing his view on her either, so I would suggest he delegates this issue to another doctor. It seems a fair compromise to me.

The trouble is, there's so much confusion and spin going around at the moment regarding this act that it's hard to tell just what it will and won't do. Why, oh why, in the 21st century, isn't it possible for some people to discuss this in a sensible, orderly manner?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Consider this scenario, for example. A young woman comes in to see a Catholic doctor. She wants to know how she can get an abortion. I don't think the doctor should be forced to tell her, as he's more likely than not to be against abortion - he may see it as a form of murder. However, I don't think that he should be forcing his view on her either, so I would suggest he delegates this issue to another doctor. It seems a fair compromise to me.

They are paid by the NHS, they should follow the NHS line.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I do find The Guardian newspaper to be very smooth on the rear myself. It flushes well too, but I digress.

The trouble is, there's so much confusion and spin going around at the moment regarding this act that it's hard to tell just what it will and won't do. Why, oh why, in the 21st century, isn't it possible for some people to discuss this in a sensible, orderly manner?
    To be honest, if you're a doctor and have issues with people having abortions you should be in a different profession. If you're a vegatarian you shouldn't work in a slaughterhouse should you?

If you have a problem with, for example the issue of abortion then maybe you should be in a different profession. That's not to say that Catholics cannot be doctors, it is just that if your religious views or political views affect how wellyou do your job then maybe you should have chosen another profession.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    They are paid by the NHS, they should follow the NHS line.
    Good point. In a sense, I suppose most of us have to do things we don't agree with entirely in our jobs. Civil servants, for example, have to enforce government policies which they may not agree with. I hadn't considered that one before.
    To be honest, if you're a doctor and have issues with people having abortions you should be in a different profession. If you're a vegatarian you shouldn't work in a slaughterhouse should you?

If you have a problem with, for example the issue of abortion then maybe you should be in a different profession. That's not to say that Catholics cannot be doctors, it is just that if your religious views or political views affect how well you do your job then maybe you should have chosen another profession.
    You know what I mean, that was just an example.
  • Options

... and a Chef who's jewish should have to prepare pork?

Sorry, that's just bollocks.

Remember abortions are elective procedures and there are other ways of securing support frmo a doctor. I know of many OB/GYN surgeons who won't perform them, ditto anaesthetists...

That said, it's not like they would then refuse to treat that person for something else, including complications. The issue at stake here is discrimination generally and I fail to see what the religious groups problem is, it isn't a sin for them to associate with homosexuals and according to their beliefs the homosexual person will face judgement at "the Pearly Gates" anyway...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Tatchell accused the bishop of lying when he said the law would force the church to "promote" (his word, not mine) gay sex.

Well it's not true is it?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    if it were my faith, I'd be annoyed and indignant with those people who were misrepresenting it and using it as some kind of acceptable excuse to be homophobic.
    Oh I most definitely am. :yes: Here's my embarrassment of those bigoted twats who use Christianity as a scapegoat for their prejudices :o:o:o

Although, admittedly I do also save some of my anger for 'selective' press, as they feed the ignorance with their selective 'truths'.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well it's not true is it?
    No, it's not. I personally don't approve of a lot of things. General sexual promiscuity for example, that doesn't mean I stop being friends with every single one of my mates who's had sex with more than one person. I wouldn't have many friends if I did that, and it would be a completel pointless act.

Whether I approve of homosexual behaviour or not has no bearing on treating all people with a basic level of respect and decency. I can say to someone, I don't think actively pursuing a homosexual lifestyle is ok, and that have no impact on how I actually treat them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Whether I approve of homosexual behaviour or not has no bearing on treating all people with a basic level of respect and decency. I can say to someone, I don't think actively pursuing a homosexual lifestyle is ok, and that have no impact on how I actually treat them.

Exactly, I have a feeling there might be some sort of christian teaching covering that sort of thing.