Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plants, herbs and flowers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who has plants, herbs, or flowers in their home?

Can anyone recommend some easy to care for plants that don't mind central heating and won't die if I go away for a week?

Anyone grow their own herbs?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spider plants will NEVER die. But in my opinion they're kinda boring to look at. I prefer ferns... they're fairly low maintenance and some of them look really pretty. Having one in you bedroom is supposed to be quite good for you spirit...or something....

As for herbs, we have a pot in the garden and grow basic things like chives, basil, coriander, that kind of thing. I'd definitely reccomend it as you don't have to do a lot and its so handy. Tastes so much better than the crap you can buy in the supermarkets, and is lovely to put on salads in the summer :)
    I planted the excesses of chives and corriander late summer/ early autumn last year. I'm hoping they'll come up again this year. The corriander flowered but not sure if it seeded.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Having a plant in your bedroom is not a good idea, unless you take it out during the night.
    Why?
    It's not a problem to have plants in your bedroom at night. We sorted that one out here.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I planted the excesses of chives and corriander late summer/ early autumn last year. I'm hoping they'll come up again this year. The corriander flowered but not sure if it seeded.

outside or inside?

my supposedly all year round herbs died a death :(
    Outside. I planted basil too and it went mental, had loads of the stuff. But that won't grow back this year.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Miffy wrote:
    It's not a problem to have plants in your bedroom at night. We sorted that one out here.
    Ok then... :)
    I have a plant in my kitchen. Dunno what it is but it's been alive in there since september and I am a cactus killer so it must be pretty tough. It has oval rubber leaves the size of a rounded fifty pence piece...
    my sister got a spider plant from when she was at primary school and i swear until recently we still had it. infact my dad might even still have it! she's 22 now. my sister i mean, not the plant. i think it even grew babies and other people got given them.
    katralla wrote:
    I have a plant in my kitchen. Dunno what it is but it's been alive in there since september and I am a cactus killer so it must be pretty tough. It has oval rubber leaves the size of a rounded fifty pence piece...

Sounds like some kind of succulent. They are pretty hard to kill.
    Still goign strong. Shouldn't jinx it though I suppose...
    I used to have loads of houseplants. I love them.
    At the moment I only have three aloe veras of which two were here when we moved in, and even though the house had been empty for months, they were still alive, just a bit yellow. Theyre thriving again now though and back to bright green. Added bonus is that you can break a bit off if every you have any sore bits or spots and use the gel.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Basil plants are very high maintenance - I realised this when my neighbour asked me to look after his and I went away for two days and then returned and it had died. Apparently they need lots of water!
    Unluckly, that's the sort of thing I do!
    katralla wrote:
    and I am a cactus killer ...

That makes me feel better. I felt like death when I killed mine.

Bamboo is really easy too, I've only killed a copule of the stalks I've got.

And I planted some flowers last year, forgot I even had them, but they lasted all summer, was quite an ego boost. A marigold maybe? They were orange.