Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

mental age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when i was a kid, i always felt grown up.
now i'm an adult i feel like i'm a kid... years younger than i am.
most people i know behave and think etc like the age they actually are.
not sure why i don't exactly.
and when i'm with other people i always act like the cute kid.
so, i rekon i have the mental age of about a 12/13 year old.
does anybody else feel like this? or is it just me? ~ how old do you rekon you are mentally?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Know what you mean, I always feel about 15 even though I am actually 21.
    I know what you mean, I'm the exact opposite. I'm married with my own house and aren't interested in the boozy nights out so much anymore, I feel older than I am at 23.
    I feel my age tbh. Especially at the moment
    In certain times, especially when I'm with my (male) friends, I - or we - behave rather immature, which isn't the annoying immature (for us), but the funny kind... I'm just too young to be so super serious (if I don't have to be).

I will still wear my baggypants and skate when I'm sitting in the office or lab one day and will still do things like betting with a few friends if I can open that girls bra in one hand motion.
    (the trick is, to talk the girl up, tell her you have a bet running and promise her 50% if she lets you open it), and other infantile crap, because it's funny :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do feel like that sometimes, but I doubt it matters. You are who you are, and acting more or less carefree as others your age doesn't mean you're more or less mature.
    I'm still mentally somewhere between the age of 14 and 18 - but doing "grown up" things is now just more normal for me and I kind of take them forgranted. I think for most of your adult life your still "learning" new things - just becuase your now 25 doesn't mean that you automatically know how to run a household or have children - I think everything is a process of trial and error.
    I'm 23 but feel much much older and generally get on better with older people, I always have (apparently it's a dyspraxic thing). I don't have the same interests as a lot of my friends (i.e. getting drunk, laid, shopping ect), I am more interested in my career and global issues.

Can't wait to finish uni and enter the world of work.
    I've always thought I'm a lot mentally younger than I am (I'm 23) because I love big nights out, and I'm quite emotionally immature and naive.

But then when I think about it, I've lived away from home ever since I was 17, I've always sorted out my own accomodation and every job I've had has been better (career wise and money wise) than the previous one, I'm a lot wiser about relationships now through experience, and in the last year I've moved to a totally new place off my own initiative where I didn't know a soul and made myself happy.

You need a bit of maturity behind you to do all that, so maybe I don't give myself the credit I deserve.

Who knows.
    Yeah a lot. When I'm with friends I always feel less mature than they are. Pretty crappy really. I think it's because so many people act shocked when I tell them my age because they think of me as really young. I ask why and they say, 'you just give off the air of a young person and you have a young face'. Cheerz.
    Kermit wrote:
    I know what you mean, I'm the exact opposite. I'm married with my own house and aren't interested in the boozy nights out so much anymore, I feel older than I am at 23.

Tsk, and here I was about to try and drag you out for a cheeky pint of ale. Fuddy duddy :grump:

I can be very immature or fairly mature [I won't say very mature as that is a bare-faced lie]. Depends who I'm with, what situation I'm dealing with, what day of the week it is etc.
    When I was little I felt really old. As did people around me. Now? that's change completely. I've gone down in years and I don't mind making a fool out of myself and having a childish, immature sense of humour.

Rant warning?

But i've always been emotionally immature. Not the negative immaturity, just that I am verryy clingy (although I never show this quality, making me very insecure and doubtful over what to say) and extremely paranoid. With the past I have that's understandable. My inexperience, loneliness and introversion holds me bakc and prevents me from getting any experience... But it just sucks now that when I try, it doesn't work out. I give it my all, I find myself in full exposure and I show every ounce of love i can find, and it doesn't work... Cheats anyone?

Self-pity, out :)

I think the reason is that i have a problem with intimacy. I still feel like a 12-year old insecure and innocent boy sometimes. :(
    briggi wrote:
    Tsk, and here I was about to try and drag you out for a cheeky pint of ale. Fuddy duddy :grump:

Cheeky lunchtime pints still win. You just won't catch me shimmying away in World Headquarters every weekend:p
    I was born middle aged, I still act middle aged, I'm now rapidly heading for middle age. Maybe in about 25 years I'll begin acting younger than my age for the first time.
    i don't know if i feel older than my age, whenever i tell people i'm 22 they're like ? , so either I've lost my youthful looks or I give the impression I am a bit older than I am....I think my sensible side usually wins over these days, i don't deal/take drugs anymore, not as many late nights and having a full time career job can really age you in a way.....I think I have learned a lot of lessons early on in life and I'm sure there's plenty more but looking around I'd say I have a good headstart, by 30 i think i'll be well sorted financially then I can go back to being a bit more immature....err, i mean carefree.
    I'm 25, but in my head i'm still 20/21.
    I'm 22, 23 in a couple of months
    but mentally i feel about 17/18?

I think its because when I was 17/18/19 i was chronically shy, had massive self confidence/self esteem issues and basically hated myself, i was in a long term relationship and really because of my issues missed out on seeing my friends all time, playing the field with different lads (being single basically) going out all the time etc.

Now (from the age of about 20) im totally different so i think im catching up on lost time. a lot of my friends are a little bit younger than me and they always say they dont think of me as 22, they think of me as 19 same age as them.

Saying that though I've got a few friends who are 17/18 and sometimes they annoy me and i can tell how immature they are, so I suppose i must be mature in a way :)
    Depends on the situation. I can feel very adult and discuss politics and crap like that. Though usually I'm like a wee kid having a laugh and messing about.
    I had a serious stage and thought that all that 'adult' stuff was important, now I think it's all bollox and stuff it!
    I think I'll feel more 'grown-up' when me and my boyfriend have a place of our own (hopefully we'll be looking from about September) and we are responsible for all the food & utility bills etc....I know that's not the 'funnest' bit of being adult and we'll bitch about it no end when the time comes, but I kinda feel in limbo at the moment; we're more or less given a free reign in what we do at the moment, but it'll be nice not to have to inform Dunc's mum whenever we want to do something on a whim. We're just waiting for 'real life' to start...once we've got the flat sorted we can then focus on boring coupley things like dinner parties and engagement plans!

Real, grown up responsibilities :hyper:

Emotionally I don't really think I've changed a huge amount from when I was 18 and I still love listening to the stuff I was listening to at 15.