Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Given that, would you wanna work in a room filled with cigarette smoke?

If I hated cigarette smoke I wouldn't have took a job in a pub.
    No, but nor would I want to work in a room filled with exhaust smoke.

However, I think it should be the premises deciding and not the Government.
    Why is exhaust smoke relative to the arguement? Cars are driven outside... Not inside pubs where people are forced to breath in their smoke.
    Why is exhaust smoke relative to the arguement? Cars are driven outside... Not inside pubs where people are forced to breath in their smoke.
    Because its the only argument smokers can come up with. ;)
    forgive me but you saying that coughing doesnt shorten your lifespan but passive smoking does or may?
    I was making a joke, you know, ha ha?
    If I hated cigarette smoke I wouldn't have took a job in a pub.
    Not everyone has the luxury of choice.
    You got any proof of this?

Is what the non smokers saying not enough?
    Because its the only argument smokers can come up with.

And it's a rubbish one.
    Sofie wrote:
    Is what the non smokers saying not enough?

:confused::confused:

What are you asking ?
    seeker wrote:
    :confused::confused:

What are you asking ?

Read the stuff at the top of this page. It's not that hard.
    Obviously all non smokers are liars and just exaggerating for fun.

I'm not feeling too sympathetic to poor smokers at the moment as they are affecting me at work (and I work in an office not a pub or bar or club or restaurant) and I've been forced to start using inhalers for asthma again, which I haven't used for years. Just because of some selfish people getting paid to sit on their bums and fag away.
    Sofie wrote:
    Read the stuff at the top of this page. It's not that hard.

Still confused.

Some have asked for proof that passive smoking kills/harms.

None that I can see has been forthcoming.

Then you asked your question, which I didn`t understand.

Are you saying that "smokers" should listen to the pleas of "non-smokers" ? :chin:
    Yes they should. Why should I have to breathe in smoke? It's gross and it makes me adn my clothes smell. (which other have said as well as stuff about their eyes, nose & throat/chest)
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Obviously all non smokers are liars and just exaggerating for fun.

I'm not feeling too sympathetic to poor smokers at the moment as they are affecting me at work (and I work in an office not a pub or bar or club or restaurant) and I've been forced to start using inhalers for asthma again, which I haven't used for years. Just because of some selfish people getting paid to sit on their bums and fag away.

Have you considered telling them your problem like you have this board ?

If I was one of those smokers and you said to me what you have above, then I think I would quit smoking in your vicinity.
    seeker wrote:
    Have you considered telling them your problem like you have this board ?

If I was one of those smokers and you said to me what you have above, then I think I would quit smoking in your vicinity.

I do not want to have a confrontation with a room full of smokers all of whom are much older than me.

I have complained to my boss, the company nurse and the health and safety manager, but nothing is going to be done till the law comes in.

Bring on July.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I have complained to my boss, the company nurse and the health and safety manager, but nothing is going to be done till the law comes in.

Seems strange, smoking in the workplace could easily be argued as coming under existing legislation anyway, COSHH regulations for example.
    No, but nor would I want to work in a room filled with exhaust smoke.

And that is why car maintenance places have such rigorous health and safety laws.

Unless you think that it should be the "proprietor's choice" as to whether they should be enforced?

As for "personal liberty", nobody is preventing a single person from smoking. I don't want to ban people from smoking (they keep my taxes low after all), but I want the freedom to go out and not have to go home because one or two smokers have triggered an asthma attack in me or my family.

I'll ask again: why does the "right" of a smoker to smoke supercede my "right" to go out and not have to breathe their smoke in? Yes, I could stay at home and not have trouble, but equally the smoker could, but with a ban we both get to do what we want. It's not a tough question but I note that not one single smoker has ever been able to answer it, and I've been asking it for over five years. Funny that.

It couldn't be because smokers are selfish little twerps who couldn't give a stuff about anyone else's health and comfort, could it?
    Kermit wrote:
    It couldn't be because smokers are selfish little twerps who couldn't give a stuff about anyone else's health and comfort, could it?

Not all smokers are like that. My dad never was and a friend of mine isn't like that at all.
    My mum, her sister and her fiance all smoke, so no, not all smokers are like that.

But smokers who think that their right to smoke ranks ahead of my right not to are selfish.
    So smokers have seven months until this ban, are any here planning on trying to give up?
    I'm all for it

Smoking has been proved beyond reasonable doubt to be more addictive and harmful than some drugs.

If people want to smoke in their own homes or cars (windows closed) fine, that's their choice. But keep it away from other people who don't choose to smoke.

And I think it'll help a lot of people who would like to give up as it'll break the habit. For example, one of my tutors smokes but she'll be unable to anywhere on college property so she says it is going to encourage her to give up.
    Gemmzie wrote:
    If people want to smoke in their own homes or cars (windows closed) fine,

Is it?

Couple face Council investigation for smoking at home

I'm this fucking close to taking up the habit on general fucking principle... :rolleyes:
    The Council are duty bound to investigate though- they usually think its bollocks too, but they have to do it by law when someone complains. It's all part of the anti-social "clampdown"- if any old nutter complains the council have to act.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is it?

I'm this fucking close to taking up the habit on general fucking principle... :rolleyes:
    Funny. :lol: Technically, though, that's more a case of them simply not cleaning their house, rather than anything to do with them smoking.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is it?

So, where on earth can someone smoke without it bothering anyone? I admit I hate smoking but do think that smokers should have the right to smoke somewhere as long as it's nowhere near me...
    Sofie wrote:
    So, where on earth can someone smoke without it bothering anyone? I admit I hate smoking but do think that smokers should have the right to smoke somewhere as long as it's nowhere near me...

At home
    In their cars
    In their gardens
    In open air venues
    In specially built open air enclosures

The government could have gone a high tech air quality route to controlling levels of smoke with electronic monitoring (which is pretty easy to setup and police) but chose to use surface area of enclosed to open area ratios method instead

That article and complaint seems excessive, although we can smell other neighbors cooking sometimes, but usually their food smells yummy .. LOL
    I don't care if people smoke in their cars but many who do throw their fag ends out of the window, creating rubbish and also a couple of times have almost hit me in the face.
    At home
    In their cars
    In their gardens
    In open air venues
    In specially built open air enclosures

I would add to that list

- Anywhere outdoors. With common sense and good manners in mind (for instance, smoking at a bus stop right next to other people might indeed get smoke in their faces) but there is absolutely no excuse for saying people shouldn't smoke on the street, or in a park, or on the beach

- In cigar clubs, smoking rooms in pubs and restaurants and any indoor facility that procures segregated and properly ventilated areas for smokers. I realise this will not be the case in this country, but it should be
    Smoking has been banned in pubs, clubs and other workplaces in Scotland for some time, now. The results are clear to see. Last time I went to a nightclub (just before Christmas) I was able to ome home not smelling of smoke (which had been the case before the ban came into force). I'm sure smokers might have cause to complain, but if this is what is needed to improve the nation's health, so be it.

So the ban is a good thing? Er, not quite. I remember watching "Demolition man" where everything unhealthy (smoking, salt, red meat, even sex!) is banned. Unfortunately most things that are fun also carry an element of risk. If the government takes banning smoking to its logical conclusion, we are going to end up in a society like in Demolition Man where anything that might be fun, but dangerous, is illegal.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Smoking has been banned in pubs, clubs and other workplaces in Scotland for some time, now. The results are clear to see. Last time I went to a nightclub (just before Christmas) I was able to ome home not smelling of smoke (which had been the case before the ban came into force). I'm sure smokers might have cause to complain, but if this is what is needed to improve the nation's health, so be it.

So the ban is a good thing? Er, not quite. I remember watching "Demolition man" where everything unhealthy (smoking, salt, red meat, even sex!) is banned. Unfortunately most things that are fun also carry an element of risk. If the government takes banning smoking to its logical conclusion, we are going to end up in a society like in Demolition Man where anything that might be fun, but dangerous, is illegal.

Yeah, when I didn't smoke, it was crap going home reeking of fag. As already said, if pubs had a divider to segregate smoking/non-smoking, this would help. You know, a simple wall with doors in. I have seen places like this. Wouldn't hurt, or even cost alot.

And yeah, Demolition Man, with all these "don't smoke, don't eat fast food, don't do this, blah blah blah" I can see it going that way. Before long booze will be the target. Then bacon. Then, if they do go for bacon, I WILL be going postal.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, when I didn't smoke, it was crap going home reeking of fag. As already said, if pubs had a divider to segregate smoking/non-smoking, this would help. You know, a simple wall with doors in. I have seen places like this. Wouldn't hurt, or even cost alot.

I'm not a heavy smoker and even when I didn't touch cigarettes I can't ever remember being bothered by smoking in pubs or restaurants. Currently most restaurants in France still let you light up and I've not really even ever found that to be a problem when over there. But, yeah I accept, the days of lighting up wherever are over. I just think what we're getting goes too far, it's perfectly possible to accomodate smokers and non-smokers with separated areas and decent ventilation.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'm not a heavy smoker and even when I didn't touch cigarettes I can't ever remember being bothered by smoking in pubs or restaurants. Currently most restaurants in France still let you light up and I've not really even ever found that to be a problem when over there. But, yeah I accept, the days of lighting up wherever are over. I just think what we're getting goes too far, it's perfectly possible to accomodate smokers and non-smokers with separated areas and decent ventilation.

I wasn't bothered whilst there. It was just waking up the next day to find my room actually smelt just like the pub!:lol: Then promtly getting a glass of water and continuing my sleep.