Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Name that illness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bit of a long shot but i need some help in naming an illness.

It's a condition that affects the eye, the retina to be exact, where the rods and cones start to die off giving you blind spots on the retina and carries on until you're completely blind.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't know, but suspect it would have 'degenerate' in it somewhere. Have you tried looking places like the RNIB website or anywhere that gives information about causes of blindness as that would probably have it.
    Oooo that's an idea, ta :)
    Retinitis Pigmentosa - however its an inherited genetic condition so i'm not sure if thats the same as what you at thinking about. But I could ask one of the information people at work if you want.......
    Macular degeneration?
    Wyetry wrote:
    however its an inherited genetic condition

It could well be a genetic condition.
    Then that might be it then. Otherwise i'm not sure.
    Wyetry wrote:
    Retinitis Pigmentosa

That's what it is. Leigh's back and asked him if this was the condition and he said yes.

Bit of background, a friend of his has apparently had a miraculous recovery from this condition :rolleyes: and i wanted to see if he's full of shit, which he obviously is. Another David :rolleyes:
    RubberSkin wrote:
    That's what it is. Leigh's back and asked him if this was the condition and he said yes.

Bit of background, a friend of his has apparently had a miraculous recovery from this condition :rolleyes: and i wanted to see if he's full of shit, which he obviously is. Another David :rolleyes:

Who's David?
    Fuck wit bunny boiler arsehole who made up several illnesses to make himself look like a 'victim' and out do me in the 'health stakes' when i was dating Leigh.
    I'm pretty sure that the three people I know at work who have it aren't going to recover - which is pretty crap as its part of a condition known as Usher Syndrome which means you are deaf as well.

However your eyesight does deteriorate over time and this can be quite slow - you dont' become blind within a matter of months sometimes this can take years or even decades. You can find more info here
    Are a lot of gay people a bit weird like that then?

Only, I've got a gay friend, and one of his 'friends' (which means they were probably shagging, from what he's told me :|) said he was dying from cancer. Which turned out to be complete bullshit actually.

Only, I've got a gay friend, and one of his 'friends' (which means they were probably shagging, from what he's told me :|) said he was dying from cancer. Which turned out to be complete bullshit actually.

I wonder if it's the same guy ? This David said he had cancer too.

I wouldn't say 'a lot'... I've know a fair few gay people in my life and only one has really said he has had illnesses.. Well he saidhe had piles and also later said he had a nervous breakdown, but I don't know if this is true.

Another gay guy I know told me my brother had been having unprotected sex with a HIV positive man for a joke, not nice...

But to be honest the biggest bullshitters I've known in my life have been bi or straight, so it's not a gay thing.
    ShyBoy wrote:

You can't generalise like that.
  • +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Damn right, you can't generalise like that. It's no good hearing distressing stories about people's health - and then finding out they're lies - but it has nothing to with their sexuality.

The RNIB is a great resource for your initial question - take a look at their common eye conditions factsheet.