Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essay - Gender

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, for my uni essay i have to write about 'Is Gender Learnt' very fun topic, for this i have to collect views from other people from different backgrounds ages etc.

Basically I was wondering what you thought about the above statement.

Also do you agree with this quote

'Sex refers to the biological differences between males and females ... Although we are born with our sex, we have to learn our gender'
(GCSE psycology book)

For me i thought sex and gender were one and the same until i began to research into it.

Just thought as well, what are you views in the case of hermafridytes (sp) and transexuals? Do you feel that in these cases the gender is not / canot be learnt?

Edit: Sorry forgot to metion earlier, i am also looking at cutural views of gender, so if you or someone you know are part of a different gender then i would be interested in hearing you views, thank you!

Any other views or comments would be much appricaited, thanks

x Emz x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like an interesting topic to study.

One of my best friends is transgendered... They're born female but have just started having their testosterone injections before getting a sex change.

I've never really thought of the difference between sex and gender... but I guess from having a friend who feels their sex and gender aren't the same it's made me think gender was nature rather than nurture.

Hmm tricky. I'm not sure.
    Just thought as well, what are you views in the case of hermafridytes (sp) and transexuals? Do you feel that in these cases the gender is not / canot be learnt?

Re : My view on sexual behaviour, intersex etc

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1470905&postcount=11
    Thanks alot for your contributions, any more ideas??