Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Use by dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always thought that frozen stuff was probably alright long-term so long as it's been frozen completely since you bought it.
    I'd avoid the prawns too, sea-food is riskier. But beef you can smell if it's spoilt when you start to cook it, even when it's frozen. Good meat doesn't smell of a lot, but slightly off you can start to smell it a lot more. Like fresh fish doesn't smell of anything except maybe salt, but two day old fish smells that proverbial "fishy"
    I rarely go by use by dates, if something looks and smells ok then I'll use it.
    UBDs are just a rough guide really.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'd avoid the prawns too, sea-food is riskier. But beef you can smell if it's spoilt when you start to cook it, even when it's frozen.

:yes:
    I don't bother with use by dates in the freezer but thats because I don't eat meat or fish so my food isnt really high risk
    prawns eat poo off the bottom of the sea. :crying: :sour:
    prawns eat poo off the bottom of the sea. :crying: :sour:

HAHA do they? :confused: I take it you don't eat them then!!
    If you freezed them before the use-by date was passed, you should be fine provided that your freezer temperature is below -18C. If you've got a modern freezer it will be, but freezer compartments in fridges are not.

The main reason why the box says only freeze for one month is because food gets damaged after being frozen for too long- "freezer burn" damages the molecules of the food and basically makes it taste ming. But it won't kill you.
    If it's a proper freezer and you've not had a power cut then I'd eat the lot. Stuff lives in our freezer for ever and I've never been made ill by it (other than when the labels came off the mince that had peppers in so I didn't know).
    itll be fine.

in case you needed another person to say it.
    What about I can't Believe it's not butter? Will be ok for an extra 2 or 3 days, yes?! I hope so :D
    as long as it doesnt smell funny.
    You can tell wehn fats gone rancid a mile off. If it smells/looks normal, itll be fine .
    kangoo wrote:
    HAHA do they? :confused: I take it you don't eat them then!!

i think i'd still eat them, i'll probably forget that they eat poo.

a lady at work..her son had a bone marrow transplant (i think that's what it was...) and so he has virtually no immune system. the nurses have told him what he's not allowed to eat and it includes prawns - because they eat poo off the bottom of the sea. also diet coke because it lowers your levels of calcium. :yes:
    also diet coke because it lowers your levels of calcium. :yes:
    It does???? :eek:

I only drink regular Coke myself but then all the women I know in my life only drink diet Coke. I think they'll want to know about this! Especially since the risk of osteoporosis and all that.
    They always advise to not keep anything in the freezer for more than 1 month. However, I rarely live by that rule and have never had any problems...thats including with prawns as well.