Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Saddam executed

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HIT wrote:
    When I first saw it on my mates phone I thought it was a joke at first.
    Sorry.. But what kind of person sends around/downloads disgusting material like an execution on to their phone? That's pretty fucked up man... :eek2:

I don't condone anything that he did, but hanging him was just double standards on our part, why should we convict a 'murderer' by murdering him? Surely it's hypocricy and people would learn a greater lesson if her were locked up in a cell to rot rather than if he were killed.

And what will it do for Iraq? Maybe some of his followers will now see him as a martyr, to be showered with virgins in a blissful afterlife. Maybe they too will want to be martyrs... Maybe they will be angry and see the British and American occupation as imperialist, dangerously progressive in some way, maybe they will revolt or maybe they will become completely displaced and then become a group of people marginalised and treated badly by society.

I am yet to believe that this war, nor the capture and execution of Mr Hussein has been an entirely good thing for Iraqi civilians.
    I am yet to believe that this war, nor the capture and execution of Mr Hussein has been an entirely good thing for Iraqi civilians.
    I doubt there are many people left today who would believe such a thing- least of all the Iraqis.
    Saddam was the legal president of Iraq. He was overthrown by an invading force who declared their intentions as finding weapons of mass destruction. Of this, no such weapons were found.

He was a prisoner of war on those charges.

For all intensive purposes, he should have been released. Past crimes or not.

A twisted form of justice has been served for the men and women who died at Saddam's command. But what about justice for the many, many more lives lost in the three years that the coalition has occupied Iraq? Who will take responsibility for those deaths?

When history is written, George Bush's war will reign as more bloody than any crime of Saddam. Yet the war was waged for reasons that were never justified.

The trial was an absolute shambles. It should have been taken to the Hague. From the very second Saddam was captured, his fate was sealed. It seems that we've taken a step back to guilty until proven innocent.

No prizes for guessing why the trial was such an unorchestrated mess though. Everybody knows that a dead man is a dangerous man, and Saddam has been bearing politically damaging secrets for years.
    I don't think they needed any more evidence to prosecute Saddam tbh. The only question was whether it was a good idea in the grand scheme of things, whether the court was fair, and whether the punishment is right. I think it is bullshit that they let this court case become some bullshit political point about how Iraqis are running their own country. He should've been tried for all of his crimes in an international court, like every other dictator has been.
    News just in: Iraqi Court 'drops all Saddam charges'

You have to fucking laugh don't ya...
    A government put in power by the two most incompetent governments of recent times. You can't expect any more really can you?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    News just in: Iraqi Court 'drops all Saddam charges'

You have to fucking laugh don't ya...

Too little, too late. As usual.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Too little, too late. As usual.

I`d say it makes perfect sense to some.

The only charge that wasn`t dropped appears to be the one that didn`t involve Saddam`s former buddies as accomplices.

D-I-Y pardoning.