Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Saddam executed

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    It'll be on youtube anytime soon

It's on Google video, found it this afternoon, just gon on to Google video and search for "Saddam Excuction" (without quotes) there is the full filmed on mobile.

Yes in fact I am still confident in my views, I know so many Palestinians who have lived and their famillies still live in the countries I named. Yes, they are unhappy about not being allowed back into their own country but they have good lives and are in no way mistreated.

You can read as much as you want, but when you live in the Middle East and interact with these people on a daily basis and have met their famillies you will see a different and more upto-date (it appears that some of your references are over 15years old now) version of what is published.

Anyways happy new year, I am tired.
    Amira wrote:
    The man kept his country in order, he did what was needed to keep the "peace" in Iraq, since his fall over 3 years ago, i have seen nothing but deterioration in a country which was once seen as a stable fast developing country.

Quite an interesting point. Order vs Justice?
    When looking at the whole Iraq case, both the war and Saddam's execution from the perspective of Order vs Justice, it all seems full of contradictions. Interesting nevertheless.

I am not going to go in to the whole Palestine debate that sprung up on the last few posts, but Amira whilst you have examples of "real-life" Palestinians, then I have "real-life" examples of the mistreating of Palestinians amongst "their own". It's all about perspective really, isn't it?
    Not necessarily perspective, I would opt for exposure. I am not denying there is occasionally some hostility amongst very few Arabs towards Palestinians, but at the same time governments and individuals do help. I guess no group of people is perfect, there will always be people who hold grudges and look for negativity when people need help.
    If Saddam deserved to hang, then a great many more people deserve too, including the President of the US of America and our very own Prime Minister.

But I don't believe any of them deserves to hang. No person can ever be, regardless of what despicable monsters they might have been.

Incidentally, I have not noticed a 'R.I.P.' post from Disillusioned yet. No doubt lack of time only would be to blame for this, because we know he is in the noble habit of wishing anyone to rest in peace regardless of their crimes during their life time- such as the late General Pinochet.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If Saddam deserved to hang, then a great many more people deserve too, including the President of the US of America and our very own Prime Minister.

But I don't believe any of them deserves to hang. No person can ever be, regardless of what despicable monsters they might have been.

Incidentally, I have not noticed a 'R.I.P.' post from Disillusioned yet. No doubt lack of time only would be to blame for this, because we know he is in the noble habit of wishing anyone to rest in peace regardless of their crimes during their life time- such as the late General Pinochet.
    Oh come on, you cant compare someone like Sadaam to Tony Blair.
    To warrant the death penalty you don't need to kill hundreds of thousands. 1 person will do.

Saddam was sentenced to death for killing 150 people in retaliation for an attack on his life. Tony Blair has killed a lot more than that in retaliation for an attack on America and to further the geopolitical and financial interests of a nation that isn't even his own.

I'd say Tony is every bit as deserving of the noose as Saddam ever was.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Quite an interesting point. Order vs Justice?
    When looking at the whole Iraq case, both the war and Saddam's execution from the perspective of Order vs Justice, it all seems full of contradictions. Interesting nevertheless.

I am not going to go in to the whole Palestine debate that sprung up on the last few posts, but Amira whilst you have examples of "real-life" Palestinians, then I have "real-life" examples of the mistreating of Palestinians amongst "their own". It's all about perspective really, isn't it?

:yes:

Which is kind of the point I was making.

I have no doubt that Bush and Blair are war criminals, I know that the man who they vilified (until a couple of days ago) is the same men our respective Govts armed and supported in the 80s. I have no doubt that they are arming and supporting despots from around the world.

Neither do I have any doubt that Arab leaders use the Palestinian cause to gain popularity in their own country (because it's easy to attack Israel on this basis) whilst at the same time treating Palestinians in their own country like second class citizens.
    Aladdin wrote:
    To warrant the death penalty you don't need to kill hundreds of thousands. 1 person will do.

Saddam was sentenced to death for killing 150 people in retaliation for an attack on his life. Tony Blair has killed a lot more than that in retaliation for an attack on America and to further the geopolitical and financial interests of a nation that isn't even his own.

I'd say Tony is every bit as deserving of the noose as Saddam ever was.
    If Tony was as bad as Saddam, you wouldn't be saying it in fear of your life. Saddam was an evil dictator, alot of people here talk about Tony like a piece of shit, if Tony was an evil dictator would you be saying this still?

And saying he only killed 150 people is stupid, you know it was alot more than that. A friend I speak to who used to live in Iraq was telling me how his soldiers came to a near by village and killed a whole family including the children, what kind of people do this? Like fuck would Tony do something like that.

You think the war with Iraq was unjust and fair enougth, alot of people do. But putting Tony on the same level as someone that launches attacks against his own people is ridiculous.
    HIT wrote:
    If Tony was as bad as Saddam, you wouldn't be saying it in fear of your life. Saddam was an evil dictator, alot of people here talk about Tony like a piece of shit, if Tony was an evil dictator would you be saying this still?

And saying he only killed 150 people is stupid, you know it was alot more than that. A friend I speak to who used to live in Iraq was telling me how his soldiers came to a near by village and killed a whole family including the children, what kind of people do this? Like fuck would Tony do something like that.

You think the war with Iraq was unjust and fair enougth, alot of people do. But putting Tony on the same level as someone that launches attacks against his own people is ridiculous.
    I didn't say he was as bad. I said he was as deserving of the noose as Saddam was.

The number of people one kills is irrelevant.

If Saddam should hang for his crimes, so should Tony.
    At least if they were going to kill him after a dodgy trial they picked the most humane way of doing it.
    It is a man dying. I'm very glad they didn't show it. I don't even like the picture they have on the bbc news website at the moment.

And to say 'it would be something different' is just one of the most bizarre things to say.
    One of my friends started watching it online (then he saw sense) but I can't understand why anyone would want to.

That said, I don't agree with the death penalty anyway.
    have everyone forgotten that britain and america are just expanding their imperial control!!!!! or perhaps it just never occured to everyone!!!! the death of saddam is just a distraction from what is really going on!!!!

true saddam is a horrible person. but the war that removed him from power was justified under false claims!!!! now politicians will say they didnt know and more imprtantly the media will not report, or perhaps once or twice, that this was the case.

we are all stupid and naive. we all argue about the things that the powers that be feed us. and like dogs we eat it up. we do not see beyong it.

we are all stupid.

saddam? fuck saddam. he is just a distraction. and we are all conditioned to be distracted.

we are all stupid.

does anyone remember what the war was about? i doubt it.

we are all stupid.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I didn't say he was as bad. .
    Oh ok. ;) I thought that's what you meant. :blush:

Each to there own opinions though.
    the war!!!!

the invasion!!!!!

who gave us the right to invade other sovereign nations?!?!?!

stupid people.
    On a human note does anyone think Saddam was quite brave at the very end?

I can't imagine ever being so calm and controlled having a rope tied around my neck.

It's a real shame ...he probably had a lot of qualities that makes someone a good leader of millions of people .. and he must have had Billions in swiss bank accounts .. he could have enjoyed the most amazing life and lived in splendor far greater then what Blair or Bush could ever afford.

There are no winners at the moment with the whole Iraq situation .. well except the companies that manufacture arms, bombs, war places, etc for the USA.

I do wonder how Tony Blair sleeps at night ..

I can't imagine ever being so calm and controlled having a rope tied around my neck.

It's a real shame ...he probably had a lot of qualities that makes someone a good leader of millions of people .. and he must have had Billions in swiss bank accounts .. he could have enjoyed the most amazing life and lived in splendor far greater then what Blair or Bush could ever afford.

There are no winners at the moment with the whole Iraq situation .. well except the companies that manufacture arms, bombs, war places, etc for the USA.

TBH people like that are so evil, they don't know what fear is.

tony blair sleeps very well at night. he cares no more than we do about the people in Iraq! can you sleep at night? do you feel guilty about it? of course not. nobody here does. even those that think the war was wrong. thats the beauty of our society. we are all pacified. we dont really give a shit so long as we are comfortable at watching tv, footie and drinking beer. of course saddam was an asshole to IRAQIS but we are assholes to the IRAQIS, AFGHANS, and ARABS. we dont give a shit to be honest.
    Whereas actively seeking footage of an execution is a sick facet of human nature, on the other hand perhaps we should show them in full detail.

I would even go further. I would make people who advocate the death penalty to watch an execution live. To pull the lever themselves actually. To listen to the condemned's heart before the execution as it beats. To watch him eat, drink, sleep. To have a conversation with him.

And then, to execute him themselves. To extinguish that life; to stop that heart forever. To render a functioning human body and a human being to a decomposing worthless pile of skin and bones.

Let's see how many advocate the death penalty afterwards. Regardless of whom the condemned might be.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Whereas actively seeking footage of an execution is a sick facet of human nature, on the other hand perhaps we should show them in full detail.

I would even go further. I would make people who advocate the death penalty to watch an execution live. To pull the lever themselves actually. To listen to the condemned's heart before the execution as it beats. To watch him eat, drink, sleep. To have a conversation with him.

And then, to execute him themselves. To extinguish that life; to stop that heart forever. To render a functioning human body and a human being to a decomposing worthless pile of skin and bones.

Let's see how many advocate the death penalty afterwards. Regardless of whom the condemned might be.
    it doesnt matter. so long as we have enough distractions and is pacified, WE DO NOT CARE. we will be hypocrites. we will say one thing. yet that is how far we will go. there is no other option.
    Aladdin wrote:

Why stop there? I think I've said this before but perhaps we should make people who were against the war clean out Saddam's have to disinter the mass grave, those who supported it be drafted into the infantry (though preferably the US army so as not to dilute ours with hordes of useless conscripts), those who are pro-abortion carry out abortions, those who are anti-choice have to adopt unwanted babies.

And frankly there are people alive today who I'd shoot dead like a rabid dog and not feel any remorse about it. And I'm against the death penalty...
    And frankly there are people alive today who I'd shoot dead like a rabid dog and not feel any remorse about it.

Such as ?
    Anarchists ;)
    Aladdin wrote:

Exactly.

Who is anyone on this earth to make that decision to issue the death penalty to someone?

No one- had this conversation with my mates mum and her bf the other morning steaming.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What a stupid action. Let's face it.

Killing him was an arse decision. We condem a man for killing political opponents and not letting them have a fair trial. Then we do the same!
    i'm not a big fan of the death sentence but i can think of a few other politicians who are more deserving of an execution......nuff said.
    Iraq's PM threatens to cut ties with nations critical of Saddam's execution

It's just a sad joke isn't it...

Specially when he claims Saddam received a "fair" trial.

Like puppet like master, obviously...
    According to the report the "Prime Minister" has
    promised to take action against all armed groups in Baghdad

What action is he likely to take against those with "US Army" on their clothing ?
    seeker wrote:
    What action is he likely to take against those with "US Army" on their clothing ?
    I think it'll involve a large quantity of lubricant.
    I think it'll involve a large quantity of lubricant.

.. and a rubber chicken.