Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I stop being so pessimistic?

Had a bit of an argument with a friend of mine on Monday. I emailed him about something and he totally ignored whatever it was I was asking him about. His reply was 'Sofie, you need to stop being so pessimistic.' I've asked him what he means but he hasn't told me.

So, my question is how do I stop being so pessimistic?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    By being optimistic? ;)

Basically not thinking the worst of things, having a better outlook, i.e.things are not as bad as it seems, will get better. Stuff like that, it's a mindset like.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    By being optimistic? ;)

:p
    Basically not thinking the worst of things, having a better outlook, i.e.things are not as bad as it seems, will get better. Stuff like that, it's a mindset like.

I thought this is what he meant but wasn't too sure...
  • Options
    Always look on the bright side of life :yippe:
  • Options
    Look, who fucking cares if the cup is half full or half empty?

Have you never realized, that the damn thing is never full?
  • Options
    I've been told off for being pessimistic when I say thins like "Well if X happened then I was thinking I could do Y to sort it out." It doesn't strike me as particularly pessimistic but I guess it thinking about the bad things that could possibly happen could be classed as being pessimistic.
  • Options
    maybe he was still sore at the argument and said it just to annoy you.

unless you said something along the lines of "this friendship is pointless" or something like that.

but how to stop being pessimistic? (im a big pessimist myself)

Just consider the bad things that MAY happen but don't dwell on them, however be prepared for the bad things but aim for a positive outlook.
    hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    unless you said something along the lines of "this friendship is pointless" or something like that.

I've never said that to him. A few times I think he's implied something along those lines.

I emailed him about this on Thursday and got his reply just now. His reply was 'You are like that too though, Sofie. If I don't talk to you whenever you want or give you whatever songs you want you throw a paddy.' which is a load of rubbish and I'm not entirely sure where he got that from or what on earth this has got to do with me being pessimistic?:confused:
  • Options
    maybe hes just trying to get your goat.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    don't see why you bother to be honest.
  • Options
    He's only just started being like this and I have asked him why but he ignored the question. (and carried on acting like a twat)
  • Options
    only answer is to ignore him then.
  • Options
    I don't think you should put such a great value on his statement. But being optimistic never harms and there's always room for improvement!

/from the largest pessimist the world has ever had the honour to make acquaintance with ;)
  • Options
    I think I've only just realised what he was trying to tell me in the second email. We talked for a bit this morning (about music stuff) and I've just had a few emails from him and he said that if he stays away (my suggestion - it's either that or we're going to argue all the time) then he seems to think that I'm going to do something stupid.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    my question is how do I stop being so pessimistic?
    think happy thoughts ;)
  • Options
    I must admit, that I did not read the thread, but with the.. 'force' you want to find out of what is pessimistic about you, you might be intrusive and naggy on him, and therefore he ignores you and is short with you...

Just an idea...

I know you will find 13 ways to rebut my thought, but think about it for a minute.
    If I don't talk to you whenever you want or give you whatever songs you want you throw a paddy.' which is a load of rubbish and I'm not entirely sure where he got that from

ahhh, there you are... I might have been right. Well how can it be a load of rubbish if that's his opinion and his sentiments?
  • Options
    Maybe you are being too naggy with him...

Maybe he is saying stuff because he's jealous of you (it's been happening to me from certain people)...

Maybe he is having a rough time and is expressing himself like that or being over sensitive...

When I feel all doom and gloom I think of the street kids in Nepal and that whatever creator there is that I am not in their position. I find comfort in that somehow...