Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

waxing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking about getting a bikini wax :nervous: because it's just too much effort faffing around trying to be fuzz free when most methods only last a couple of days.

I've never had any kinda waxing done before, so is it a good idea to jump straight to probably to most painful one?

Also, I know it's like the most common question ever, but is there anyway that I can reduce the pain a bit? :blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never had any kinda waxing done before, so is it a good idea to jump straight to probably to most painful one?

It's not actually considered the most painful one :) It's not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination, but I've experience worse pain. I let someone practise on me earlier, just to refresh their memory, and it was fine. If the therapist knows what they're doing then it should hurt no worse than anywhere else.

Make sure they lie you flat :yes:, and offer to help stretch the skin from other angles. It's hard to explain, but we have the client's bend their leg and lay it flat out to the side, then they stretch with their hand on their leg. It all depends on how your therapist works though.
    Also, I know it's like the most common question ever, but is there anyway that I can reduce the pain a bit? :blush:

You can take some paracetamol about 1/2 hour before, which might dull it, but otherwise, it's over quicker than you'd think :)
    Have any piercings? Its kind of similar, in that it stings for about a second, but its so quick that its over before you know it.

Are you thinking of getting it done professionally or diy?
    I get mine done and although its not pleasant it doesn't hurt that much. I alway take a couple of painkillers before hand though, not sure if it works or its just in the mind!

I think if your going to get it done your should get it done proffesionally as they know what they are doing.
    I take a painkiller or two beforehand. Also make sure you don't tense up when they're about to remove the strip - if your muscles are tense it's harder to pull the hair out and it'll hurt more. Don't DRINK beforehand either as it thins the blood and if you bleed at all (which sometimes you do a tiny bit from the pores) it'll bleed more if you've had a drink or two.

But honestly? Not nearly as bad as you'd think (unless you're talking to men, in which case you must tell them it's agony - make sure they appreciate what we go through). First time I had a wax of any kind it was a Brazilian and I was amazed. If you're still nervous then tell them it's your first one and ask for an experienced waxer - they're usually faster and more chatty, put you more at ease.
    ...(unless you're talking to men, in which case you must tell them it's agony - make sure they appreciate what we go through)...

:thumb::heart:
    my_name wrote:
    Are you thinking of getting it done professionally or diy?

definatly professionally, if i planned to do it myself i'd just chicken out.

Ahh, I'm glad you didn't all come back saying yes it's the most painful thing EVER :lol:
    i think im going to go ahead with my brazilian now I have read it doesnt actually hurt THAT much. But i have a very low pain barrier!! so itll prob kill me! My friend gets it done i dont think she has eva taken paracetamol before, so I will mention it to her.
    i had one and i didn't find it THAT bad really - but everyone has different experiences and you won't know until you try. :)
    its not that bad because the pain is over quickly.
    well i thought it fuckin killed!! and i swore quite a lot too. i'd never had anything waxed before but went straight for the brazillian. the closer in she got the more it hurt. but yes the pain does only last for seconds. the worse part for me was the pain and suffering AFTER the event. my poor sensitive skin was so bright red and burning and sore for 2 days. i put lots of tea tree oil moisturiser on it to help soothe the area. well it was an experience thats for sure.
    Where the heck do you get those professional waxes? Like a hair saloon? or some shady tatoo studios? Your gynaecologist?

I think I'm in the wrong career!
    Professional wax? Had it done once. Never again. Pure agony.

Done it myself a few times.

I tend to stick to shaving tbh.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Where the heck do you get those professional waxes? Like a hair saloon? or some shady tatoo studios? Your gynaecologist?

I think I'm in the wrong career!

Beauty salon. :yes:
    As Lipsy said, it can get sore afterwards, but I found that the second time it was a little less, and then the next go around a little less, and now it's fine.

Some people get really bad ingrowing hairs though and that can look HORRIBLE. I'm lucky in that I've only ever had one - maybe it's cos I have quite fine hair down there - but if you tend to suffer from them then waxing might not be your best bet.