Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Exeter Uni Evangelical Christian Union takes legal action through Human Rights Act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6232869.stm

I thought I'd add this discussion to the table, as its very close to home for me. Basically, the ECU had their Guild funds suspended because they were not compying to the guilds equal opportunities legislation. Further to that, they are the only society on campus in which not anyone can stand for election to committee, the current committee has to 'approve' people to stand. I have to say i hope they lose. These lot are always causing trouble on campus...I've been told I'm going to hell because i don't beleive before too. :D

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    It does seem a little odd that they say 'everyone is welcome' but all those who attend must sign to say they believe in Jesus, those two points dont work together. How do they expect to get new members?
  • Options
    it's not attendance. It's membership. You don't ever have to be a member to attend, but to be a member you have to be a christian. I personally don't get what the problem is with wanting the members of a christian union to be a christian.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    It does seem a little odd that they say 'everyone is welcome' but all those who attend must sign to say they believe in Jesus, those two points dont work together. How do they expect to get new members?

They generally prey on freshers in freshers week! Knocking on doors, introducing themselves, offering you a biscuit...then they'll try and talk about the wonders of Jesus. Usually Christians will sign up anyway, but they do try and grab as many people as they can.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it's not attendance. It's membership. You don't ever have to be a member to attend, but to be a member you have to be a christian. I personally don't get what the problem is with wanting the members of a christian union to be a christian.

OK, well that makes more sense, still, unless there is a history of trouble makers joining to try and disrupt the group I dont see the point in making people sign, surely by the very nature of the group people wanting to join are going to be Christian.
  • Options
    The CU at York is not a member of YUSU (York University Student's Union) because they won't let people stand for election as such, instead the current group leaders etc get together and pray for God to decide who should lead. Obviously this makes sense to the people within the CU, but YUSU don't see this as an acceptable way to select leaders. Oh and they won't let you in if you are Catholic, because apparently this is not proper Christianity. (According to my crazy Christian flatmate from last year :razz:)
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    OK, well that makes more sense, still, unless there is a history of trouble makers joining to try and disrupt the group I dont see the point in making people sign, surely by the very nature of the group people wanting to join are going to be Christian.
    Exeter are the same type of CU as my one in lufs, that is they're both UCCF, so probably have similar consitutions. No-one is made to sign at loughborough, you can attend every meeting for your entire time at uni and never have to sign for membership, but on the membership form it states christian beliefs, and that's what you're signing up to.

As for electing the new executive commitee, the old exec select a group to replace them, and present them to the rest of us, who vote. It's my understanding that a single no vote results in the entire exec being thrown out and a new selection made under consultation. Nominations are made by the members of the CU.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Exeter are the same type of CU as my one in lufs, that is they're both UCCF, so probably have similar consitutions. No-one is made to sign at loughborough, you can attend every meeting for your entire time at uni and never have to sign for membership, but on the membership form it states christian beliefs, and that's what you're signing up to.

As for electing the new executive commitee, the old exec select a group to replace them, and present them to the rest of us, who vote. It's my understanding that a single no vote results in the entire exec being thrown out and a new selection made under consultation. Nominations are made by the members of the CU.

That does make sense, and I'm sure that works perfectly well, I would be curious as to the legal obligations that the SU is under to make sure that all can take part fully, or if it is just because they dont like the Christian group.

This sounds like one of those stories with considerably more to it than meets the eye (or at least the eye of the BBC journalist).
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

The of the problems The Exeter Guild (It should be Union!) have is that the Exeter ECU really control who the new committee is, people who are members can stand, but if the current committee have problems with them they won't be elected. I hear a woman isn't even allowed to be chair...though that may just be a rumour i will check up on it. All Exeter Guild societies are required to have unbiased and fair democratic elections through a STV system. The ECU are not doing this. This is one of the reasons why their account has been suspended.
  • Options
    A lot of CU's would rather have a man chair because some christians think that women shouldn't have authority over a man and CU's are collections of lots of different christians not just one group of christians. Leicester CU had a lady president a couple of years back though, and AFAIK my CU are considering one for this years new exec.

I can understand kicking them out of the guild, my CU aren't members of the union, what I don't like and can't understand is the way funds that are raised by the CU are seized.
  • Options
    If they can't affliate to the Students Union because of their election policy then I can possibly go along with it.

If they've been kicked out because they don't let non Christians become full members then I think that's ridiculous. I'm sure if you started looking closely at other societys then there would be plenty where you are expected to have a genuine interest / commitment to aim of that society, and if you didn't then there would be very little point in having societies.

Inclusion and equal opportunities is all well and good, as is the opportunity for people to have different faiths, beliefs and interests and meet with others who have similar mindsets.
  • Options
    If my sports team could stop people becoming members because we KNEW they were wasting our time, we would. Fact. Our sports membership is limited by Union H&S policy, so time-wasters keep spots from people who're genuinly interested.

I fail to see what the problem is with having membership of a religious group limited to people who subscribe to that faith, especially as non-membership does not limit attendance...
  • Options
    Our sports team gets round that by insisting that no one can partcipate beyond the warm up unless they have properly completed the warm up. Make your warm up evil ( and dull) and you can piss off the time wasters quite easily.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Our sports membership is limited by Union H&S policy, so time-wasters keep spots from people who're genuinly interested.

Its got nothing to do with H&S, its equal ops and the DDA.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the CU being barred from affiliation with the students guild- if they can't or won't abide by the guild's terms then they can't be a member. But I want to know why the CU's funds have been seized- if those funds belong to the members of the CU then the CU should have full access to those funds.

As usual the decision has been brought about by the trendy anti-religious arsewipes who seem to run all students' unions and guilds, and it goes to show that the people who run students' unions have little or no interest in students who don't agree with them. And then the little arsewipes grow up into big arsewipes like Jack Straw, which explains why this Government has little or no interest in anyone who doesn't agree with them.

The amusingly named DICCU (Durham's CU) were barred from the union for not allowing non-Christians to be on the exec, but curiously enough the LGBTA and Deaf Soc did not face the same sanctions despite having the same attitude.
  • Options
    I wonder if I'd be allowed to join the black society?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

Probably not, but thats possitive discrimination, so thats ok.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Probably not, but thats possitive discrimination, so thats ok.

Yeh it's like Affirmative Action in the US. Though can they prove I'm not black, I'll just say I'm an albino black.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Yeh it's like Affirmative Action in the US.

Its just racism given a new name, a patronising rather than spiteful racism but its racism none the less.

I'd try and join if I were you, and if they dont let you in report them to the Race Relations Agency (is it agency? or is it a board?).
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Its just racism given a new name, a patronising rather than spiteful racism but its racism none the less.

I'd try and join if I were you, and if they dont let you in report them to the Race Relations Agency (is it agency? or is it a board?).

Commission for Racial Equality?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Commission for Racial Equality?

That would be the one.
  • Options
    Well under the constitution (I think) it isn't allowed that a society can be set up that excludes certain groups of people. Something similar was to be set up for the Jewish sociey in my uni, that certain members would be allowed more benefits andto be higher up in the society, but we didn't allow it to pass as it was deemed unfair.

As for signing up for the society, wouldn't they like non believers to join because it's a chance to convert them?

I think that it is good that their account is frozen and nothing to do with their beliefs. If they want to run a society, they should do it properly.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I don't think you can join the afro-carrebean society in my uni, not sure... I have a white friend who went to their meetings however.

You could join LGBT
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I have no problem with the CU being barred from affiliation with the students guild- if they can't or won't abide by the guild's terms then they can't be a member. But I want to know why the CU's funds have been seized- if those funds belong to the members of the CU then the CU should have full access to those funds.

I could well be wrong, but would the society funds not come from the SU budget? We had a very similar situation with our CU very recently, and it led to all societies having their accounts frozen, and being barred from using SU premises until the constitutions were rewritten to be in line with equal ops policies.