Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housemate hell

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been doing some work experience here at TheSite.org, and I've written a rant about my lovely housemate.

Have a read, and let me know what you think. :)

Housemate Hell
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i like it!! :yes: strikes a bell with me because ive got a female housemate too who is very much like that!!

like your housemate, mine only ever comes out of her room to cook (spaghetti bolognaise EVERY time! :eek2: ) and use the toilet - which she neever cleans or supplies toilet roll for!!

.. basically everything that 'your girl' has done so has mine lol. .. except for the car parking thing!!
    Spaghetti bolognaise all the time?

At least my housemate varies her diet between pizza, indian or chinese take-away or the ever yummy sausages cooked in butter (:confused:), chips and 2 yorkshire puddings (obviously all cooked in the trusty oven)!
    HAHA. Good story.

Sounds like a male flat mate of mine who got shoved in with us this year. I tried talking to him about the cleaning as he leaves he shit everywhere and he told us that to him, cleaning is "putting stuff in the dishwasher" yet he leaves shit on the worktops, wrecks the hob, puts shit on the floor >.< Also, he uses the dishwasher tablets, foil, etc and although it sounds really petty but he doesn't contribute to any of it! Its really annoying.

He lives in his room and only comes out to cook his food (He only eats pasta, noodles, cereal and stir fry). When he does come out he's usually either taking piss out of us or being argumentative. He's really aggressive when drunk too which I don't like.

He always slams doors which is annoying as he's up till 4am everynight so constantly wakes me up.

He just annoys me in general.

URGH.
    soraliah wrote:
    mine only ever comes out of her room to cook (spaghetti bolognaise EVERY time! :eek2: ) and use the toilet - which she neever cleans or supplies toilet roll for!!

From my vast experience in living with twats, i have discovered that the best way to teach them a lesson, is for the nice contributing housemates to each have toilet rolls in their rooms and take it to the toilet when they go, leaving the toilet free of any toilet rolls. Thus meaning said stingy housemate gets a big shock when he/she does a big poo and has nothing to wipe their arse with :cool:
    ... reminds me of some of the people i've lived with over the years... :yes:
    Nice article, only one thing which grated me:
    When I pointed out that the housemate I was talking about was in fact a girl, they were disgusted. That's the thing though - you expect poor hygiene and general filth from a boy, but not a girl. Girls are supposed to be nice and clean.

See, this (for me) is just blatent sexism, even if it is couched in a light-hearted way. Why would you 'expect' boys to have poor hygiene and to be generally filthy? Why not a girl? The 4 girls I have shared flats with were all absolutely disgusting, to the point of leaving dishes in the sink for weeks on end.... Their rooms were all gross. The didn't take the bins out. Left food in the fridge well past its sell-by-date. You get the idea.

My current flatmate is uber-clean, tidy, washes his dishes, hoovers etc. And guess what? My flatmate is a boy.

Sorry, but I think this comment brings down an otherwise good article.
    It made me laugh because the housemate doesn't sound that bad, a few communication issues but, nowt to rant about really.
    I think she meant it in a stereotypical sense - NEARLY every male student household I've been to have tendencies of living in squallor quite happily. I do know one lovely young man who has a bit of a cleaning OCD living in a house of otherwise messy boys. I live in an all girl household and one of them is forever leaving the kitchen like a shit pit but the rest of us put in a conscious effort to clean up after ourselves and confine her messyness to her room. Obviously there are exceptions as I've said above, but I do find grubby girls nastier than boys as I personally even seem to accept grubby boy tendancies.

And now I'll go read the article...!
    This must be the third if not fourth work experience kid who has written a rant, is that 'preperation' for the world of work?
    im my experience girls are equally messy as blokes. maybe more, but i dont have proof!

i feel that blokes get the place more messy, but clean it up every so often. whereas girls have this ongoing mess that never really goes away.

this is entirly based on under 25s though.
    in my first year i lived with 1 person i knew, 1 other girl i didn't know and then a lad i didn't know. it was fine really but i liked the lad we lived with and we slept together a few times (lost my virginity to him actually!). after that it got a bit sour 'cause he knew i liked him but still had girls over (which i can't blame him for really) and all the while he had a girlfriend (not when we were sleeping together..they were on a break he said!). then 1 of the girls i live with (the one who i knew before) fell out with him and for the rest of the year it was god awful. she can be hard to live with as it is but she made it much worse. i didn't really like him but just got on with him to keep the peace. he moved out and in the second year another girl moved in so it was much better. but all the while my dislike for the girl i knew previously was getting stronger and stronger and i didn't like living there. she never used to say anything really, just sit and watch telly and i spent most of the time in my bedroom. didn't fancy going downstairs and sitting in silence! she was such a hypocrite - she bought a hair catcher thing for the bath plug because she was fed up of the plug getting covered in hairs. thing is she never pulled her hairs out after she'd finished and she used to leave the bath really minging. god i'm glad i don't live there anymore. :thumb:

now i live with 13 other people and it's great. only downside is the girl above me has noisy sex sometimes - they don't seem to have sex very often but when they do it's annoying and i hate going to bed incase i hear it. :(
    Blah wrote:
    From my vast experience in living with twats, i have discovered that the best way to teach them a lesson, is for the nice contributing housemates to each have toilet rolls in their rooms and take it to the toilet when they go, leaving the toilet free of any toilet rolls. Thus meaning said stingy housemate gets a big shock when he/she does a big poo and has nothing to wipe their arse with :cool:

lol nice 1
    I think she meant it in a stereotypical sense - NEARLY every male student household I've been to have tendencies of living in squallor quite happily. I do know one lovely young man who has a bit of a cleaning OCD living in a house of otherwise messy boys. I live in an all girl household and one of them is forever leaving the kitchen like a shit pit but the rest of us put in a conscious effort to clean up after ourselves and confine her messyness to her room. Obviously there are exceptions as I've said above, but I do find grubby girls nastier than boys as I personally even seem to accept grubby boy tendancies.

And now I'll go read the article...!

I know she meant in a stereotypical sense, and that's why it's wrong. If the article had said 'when I said that my flatmate was a girl and couldn't cook, all my friends were shocked. I mean, girls are all supposed to be able to cook and clean.'

Or

'When I said my flatmate was a Muslim and liked white people, all my friends were shocked. I mean, all Muslims are supposed to hate white people and want to bomb them.'

Just because it's envoking a stereotype doesn't make it right. If anything, it's perpetuating a damaging stereotype of men as lazy slobs, unable and unwilling to look after themselves. You'd think in the age of sexual enlightenment, individuals would have moved beyond this.

And you saying you're more accepting of 'grubby boys' only implicates you in maintaining notions of what it is to be a man.
    Just because it's envoking a stereotype doesn't make it right. If anything, it's perpetuating a damaging stereotype of men as lazy slobs, unable and unwilling to look after themselves. You'd think in the age of sexual enlightenment, individuals would have moved beyond this.

You are forgetting that sexism towards men is now apparently acceptable, you only have to watch half the adverts on telly to notice that.
    My flatmates are Ok, although they sometimes pinch my food.

Last year I lived with 2 Americans who were lovely people, but often acted like they were 16 and didn't wash their stuff up... So they went in to our cupboards and used our plates and left them out dirty. That was annoying.
    Well at least you didn't have a flatmate who tried to SingleWhiteFemale you. Scary stuff!

I know more male clean freaks than female I think. Though a lot of men are more prone to growing eco-systems in coffee cups etc whereas lasses will just leave a whirlwind of their clothes and general crap etc wherever they go. Or maybe that's just me :razz:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote:
    This must be the third if not fourth work experience kid who has written a rant, is that 'preperation' for the world of work?

Ha ha - more like zillionth - and yes it is preparation for the world of 'work as a journalist'.
    now i live with 13 other people and it's great. only downside is the girl above me has noisy sex sometimes - they don't seem to have sex very often but when they do it's annoying and i hate going to bed incase i hear it. :(
    lol that made me laugh alot :D
    **Helen** wrote:
    Ha ha - more like zillionth - and yes it is preparation for the world of 'work as a journalist'.

Wouldnt drinking a lot then making most of the story up be better preperation for being a journalist?
    budda wrote:
    You are forgetting that sexism towards men is now apparently acceptable, you only have to watch half the adverts on telly to notice that.
    Yeah, not forgotten that. You would have thought that now things would have changed as far as inequality of the sexes goes.
    Yeah, not forgotten that. You would have thought that now things would have changed as far as inequality of the sexes goes.

Afraid not, its now totally acceptable to depict men in adverts as little more than monkeys. Not that sexism against females has disapeared, but I'd kind of hoped that we'd have a slightly more adult attitude it.