Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

aargh quick cake help please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, im in the middle of baking a huge 80th birthday cake for my nans party tomorrow

I tripled a cake mixture (which is 175g flour, sugar and butter) and 3 large eggs. x3

Cooking time for the original mixture was 20 minutes, obviously i dont triple it, so how long shall i give it?!!

The light in our oven doesnt work so i cant just remove it when its done and if i open the oven too early it will ruin it.

Help!

Comments

• Options
    Blah wrote:

The light in our oven doesnt work so i cant just remove it when its done and if i open the oven too early it will ruin it.

Help!

Not following this.

Why Can't you just take the cake out of the oven after day 30mins and put a sharp knife through the middle. If it comes out clean then it is ready. If it comes out with gunky mixture on it is not ready.

If it is not ready keep checking on it every 10mins or so.

As a rough guide when it is brown on the top it is worth checking if it is ready in the middle.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Ok, im in the middle of baking a huge 80th birthday cake for my nans party tomorrow

I tripled a cake mixture (which is 175g flour, sugar and butter) and 3 large eggs. x3

Cooking time for the original mixture was 20 minutes, obviously i dont triple it, so how long shall i give it?!!

Help!

If i was you. I'd run down the local supermarket and buy a ready made sponge and decorate it. No-one will know the difference.

I had that problem with my oven, I just wouldn't attempt it!

Other than that i'd probably add about 15 minutes, but that's purely a guess. :nervous:
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    Not following this.

Why Can't you just take the cake out of the oven after day 30mins and put a sharp knife through the middle. If it comes out clean then it is ready. If it comes out with gunky mixture on it is not ready.

If it is not ready keep checking on it every 10mins or so.

As a rough guide when it is brown on the top it is worth checking if it is ready in the middle.

Once the air get's to it though, it's usually buggered.

Even if it's brown on top, doesn't mean it's baked in the centre..
  • Options

indeed.

Well panic is over i think, i checked it after 25 minutes and stuck a knife through. It was a big gunky, so its having a bit longer. And only time will tell if taking it out ruined the rising!
  • Options

Na course it doesn't I do it all the time, never does no harm to take it out for 15seconds.

Thats why you need to get it out and put a sharp knife through it - like i said before in my post.
  • Options
    If i was you. I'd run down the local supermarket and buy a ready made sponge and decorate it. No-one will know the difference.

nah we want a home made one.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    Na course it doesn't I do it all the time, never does no harm to take it out for 15seconds.

Thats why you need to get it out and put a sharp knife through it - like i said before in my post.

I agree. I would keep checking on it from around the 15 min mark, and use the knife or a skewer to check if its done. If it comes out clean, then you're all clear. If not, just be vigilant.
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote:
    I agree. I would keep checking on it from around the 15 min mark, and use the knife or a skewer to check if its done. If it comes out clean, then you're all clear. If not, just be vigilant.

checking on it from 15 minutes would definatly ruin it when the original un-multiplied mixture required 20 minutes cooking time!

Panic is over now anyway. The first half of the cake is done and it took 20 minutes. Its perfect. Thanks for all help anyway :thumb:
  • Options
    LOL Well done!

I love sponge cake! :yum:
  • Options
    maybe i'll post a piccy of it when ive dont the other half and iced it :D
  • Options
    Youre joking arent you.
    Theres no comparison between home made and packet mix shop cakes.
  • Options
    here's the finished cake

It may not look fancy and professional, but my nan will appreciate a cake that i put time and effort into making, rather than one that we went to the supermarket and bought.

And it will taste better than any supermarket cake!

Its a coffee sponge (my nans favourite) with a buttercream filling, and coffee icing on top with walnuts and white chocolate chips to decourate. And i made it entirely myself :D
    cake.JPG 352.7K
  • Options
    Oh i thought you we're going to make an '80' cake. My made made a '75' cake for her nan's 75th, made it, iced it beautifully. She said to me -

'What do you think ?'

'It looks great Anne, but shouldn't it read 75, not 57 ?' :lol:

ETA That looks rather yummy Blah :)
  • Options
    its an 80th cake we are putting an "80" candle on it tomorrow :) (you might be able to see the holes to the right,that i already made while trying out the 80 candle)
  • Options
    Youre joking arent you.
    Theres no comparison between home made and packet mix shop cakes.

I didn't mean the packet mix ones, I meant the all ready made ones.

I personally don't see much difference for all the hassle it's worth.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    here's the finished cake

It may not look fancy and professional, but my nan will appreciate a cake that i put time and effort into making, rather than one that we went to the supermarket and bought.

Its a coffee sponge (my nans favourite) with a buttercream filling, and coffee icing on top with walnuts and white chocolate chips to decourate. And i made it entirely myself :D

Coffee and Walnut Is the best! That looks Divine! I reckon I could polish off half of that... :yum:
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    here's the finished cake

:thumb: well done you!

Turned out super dooper!