Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got an interview next week with Clarks shoes and I'm just beginning to shit myself.

I've been looking for a job for months and have only got so far as an interview once before.
I really really really want this job but don't know exactly what to expect or what to say.

I think last time I was interviewed I probably looked stupid cos they caught me off-guard with questions like 'what three words do you think your friends would use to descibe you?' and I had a total blank...

Anyone any tips or suggestions of what they might ask so I can try and prepare myself?

I think I may sink into a deep depression if I don't get this job. :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lu_C wrote:
    caught me off-guard with questions like 'what three words do you think your friends would use to descibe you?' and I had a total blank...

Thats a weird question to be asked ! Where was that for? I think you just need to relax and just try and sell yourself lthe best, really just try and use your talents to what they want. You seem nice enough, to me means customer facing. So you can interact with people you dont know and get on with it.

Ive had 3 interviews for 3 jobs...and got them all. I was nervous for all of them, but was honest and showed them who i was, that seemed to work for me. The question you were asked above, in my opinion is just weird. Not a normal question that intervierws should ask
    In my proffesion the interview questions are very focused, so if i were asked something like that it would throw me off too! My friend went for job at Asda and was asked if she could be an animal which one would she be. Strange..

Just stay calm, think about why you want the job and really big yourself up.
    Phoenix_ wrote:
    Ive had 3 interviews for 3 jobs...

Show off. :razz: Well done though... Can you do my interview for me?

Was a bit of a weird question maybe... Was for a Christmas job at some shop... I didn't really want to work there though, so I maybe came across a bit unbothered. :chin:
    I hate interviews...i dont think anyone likes them. Its a good chance to show you enthusiam and confidence though.
    satehen wrote:
    My friend went for job at Asda and was asked if she could be an animal which one would she be.

HAHAHAHA!!! Omg really? I'd have so cracked up if I'd been asked that... If only there was an Asda nearby... I want an interview with them now. :lol:

Tough though... what would you say? An owl because they're wise? An Elephant because of their memory? A hyperactive chimp with a thirst for learning... Endless possibilities :chin: I hope she didn't say sloath.
    a lot of places ask you to talk about situations where you've done certain things like: worked in a team, held a position of responsibility, put someone else before yourself etc so have a think about that sort of thing - maybe clubs or something you've belonged to. anything really that demonstrates you can work well with other people and are responsible etc. they might ask you why you want to work there, what skills you think you can bring... and think of some questions to ask them too!! just try and relax, smile, eye contact, come across as confident even if you're not!
    Kat_B wrote:
    a lot of places ask you to talk about situations where you've done certain things like: worked in a team, held a position of responsibility, put someone else before yourself etc so have a think about that sort of thing - maybe clubs or something you've belonged to. anything really that demonstrates you can work well with other people and are responsible etc. they might ask you why you want to work there, what skills you think you can bring... and think of some questions to ask them too!! just try and relax, smile, eye contact, come across as confident even if you're not!

Thanks. Very helpful indeed :)
    EEEEEEKKK!!! Now I have a second interview with Dorothy Perkins... I want this more! HELP!
    Lu_C wrote:
    EEEEEEKKK!!! Now I have a second interview with Dorothy Perkins... I want this more! HELP!

You'll get it :thumb:
    Phoenix_ wrote:
    You'll get it :thumb:

I hope that's prophetic.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Do Trainspottin. :p
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Do Trainspottin. :p

ha. i was just about to say 'do a spud'.
    I hate when they ask you the weird questions. And even more when they ask, what can you bring to the company?

I was always just told to just keep it straight. Even if you're caught off guard or not sure what to say, just try your hardest not to stumble or paus, just start talking.

And good luck, tis the season :thumb:
    my_name wrote:
    I hate when they ask you the weird questions. And even more when they ask, what can you bring to the company?

I was always just told to just keep it straight. Even if you're caught off guard or not sure what to say, just try your hardest not to stumble or paus, just start talking.

And good luck, tis the season :thumb:

Cheers. I'll do my best.
    Lu_C wrote:

Anyone any tips or suggestions of what they might ask so I can try and prepare myself?

Make sure your shoes are clean
    Make sure your shoes are clean
    I've never had an interviewer ask if my shoes are clean :p
    Before an interview, I always think it is a good idea to sit down with a bit of paper and think about what they might ask and try and write down some examples and some ideas for answers.

You can say "I'm a good teamplayer," but anyone could say that in an interview, what you need is some evidence to support what you say so have some examples ready. Have you played team sports? Have you worked somewhere else as part of a team? Have you worked in a team at school/college?

Think about all your qualities, why do you think you would be good at this job? If you think about all of these things beforehand and write them down, you won't be caught off guard when they ask you in the interview. Think about things you have done- look at your CV and think about what you have learned from these activities.

For a job in customer services they might also ask you about a situation with a difficult customer and what would you do in a certain situation....think about what they could ask-possibly something relating to a situation where you have to deal with a difficult/abusive customer. Try and think of some examples like this and formulate some answers- staying calm and getting someone in charge to talk with the customer etc etc.

I'm sure you'll be fine, Good luck! :D
    Thanks very much silverhalo, very helpful. :thumb:

Well I had a sleepless night worrying last night... but hopefully I've got it out of my system for a good nights sleep tonight...
    I've heard a certain amount of nerves are good for this kind of thing... But I would prefer not to be a jibbering wreck.
    Some general things -

Dress suitably.
    If you shake hands, do it properly, give a firm handshake.

Since this is a second interview, you can be fairly sure in the knowledge that they are at least interested in you. All you need to do is more of the same.

Know when to stop talking, some people have a tendancy to ramble on and that just makes the people giving the interview switch off for a bit, which is not really what you want. If you have a message to put across, put it across succintly - though not snappily.

Relax, smile. Don't be afraid to engage in banter. The more that the interviewers are talking the less you have to come up with. Of course, if you go for that approach then make sure what you do say counts.
    my_name wrote:
    And even more when they ask, what can you bring to the company?
    I think it's usually a bad sign if they actually have to ask you that, because that's what you're supposed to be answering all the way through. Make sure you are demonstrating why you would be valuable to the role, and how things you've done would benefit this job, because you probably won't come across well if you just go in there saying, "I've done this, I've done that, I'm good at this."

Oh, and prepare questions to ask them too. I think the best interviews are the ones where you're already discussing how the job would be done, and what the arrangements between you and the employer would be. Give the impression that you are looking for a job that's right for you as well as the employer, and you'll come across as more professional and confident. For example, people are always worried about negotiating wages for a new job. But discussing wages, and negotiating with them (it might simply be saying, "okay, I'll accept that rate, as long as you promise to review it in 3 months time") you are demonstrating that you have self worth and confidence in your own ability.
    Mist wrote:
    Know when to stop talking, some people have a tendancy to ramble on and that just makes the people giving the interview switch off for a bit, which is not really what you want. If you have a message to put across, put it across succintly - though not snappily.
    Yeah, and don't be afraid to stop talking, or pause while you are thinking what to say next. That comes across much better than filling all the gaps with "erm."
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I've never had an interviewer ask if my shoes are clean :p

Yeah but one of the jobs she is going for is in a shoe shop, makes sense to make sure her shoes are well presented.
    Well one down and one to go... It went OK today I think... I did my best. Can only keep my fingers crossed now. She said I'd hear by sometime late next week.

Not so nervous about tomorrows interview. Thanks for all the help guys. :)
    Yeah but one of the jobs she is going for is in a shoe shop, makes sense to make sure her shoes are well presented.
    Yes but that wasn't the right answer to the question you quoted :p

To the OP, interviewers like to see black suits and white shirts.

When I go for an interview I study the company, usually easy to do if they have a website. I also list all possible questions that maybe asked and then sit down with some friends/family and get them to do practice interviews.
    Both interviews over with now. Both went OK. :yippe:

Just have to play the waiting game now.
    Well done! I hope you get a new job :)