Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Price of the Pill!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi!

I'm thinking of taking the pill but I have no idea if it actually costs any money or not!

Does it cost anything? If so, how much?

Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are in the UK it is free. Well iv'e never paid a penny anyway.
    browny wrote:
    Hi!

I'm thinking of taking the pill but I have no idea if it actually costs any money or not!

Does it cost anything? If so, how much?

Thanks!
    As in the contraceptive pill? It's free. Go to your docs, and they will sort you out. :thumb:
    Oooh I can get it before pay day then as I'm skint at the moment lol.

Thanks for the fast replies!
    All prescribed contraceptives are free on the NHS. (As far as I know) However trying to explain to the dippy cow in the chesmists when its busy why you dont have to pay for it can be a bit embarrassing.
    I'll give someone &10 a month plus s/h for you to pick me up some and send them on over :p

Do you not need a prescription for them over there and such?
    my_name wrote:
    I'll give someone &10 a month plus s/h for you to pick me up some and send them on over :p

Do you not need a prescription for them over there and such?
    You get a prescription for them for about 3 or 6 months from your doctor. But it's free on the NHS. Wahoo.
    Captain wrote:
    You get a prescription for them for about 3 or 6 months from your doctor. But it's free on the NHS. Wahoo.
    :yes:

I can only use certain brands of pill for hormonal reasons and none of them (especially the one I'm on at the moment) are cheap.
    Every brand varies. The one I'm on costs about $45 a month, the one I want, seasonale, cuz it gives you 4 periods a year, that costs around $200 for the three months it gives you at a time... I"m looking at one though, the one that gives you 3 day periods, it comes in a generic and that only costs about $30. And what sucks is alot of insurance's don't cover birth control unless its for a medical reason... as in something more than just birth control, but alot of doctors, if you tell them your insurance won't cover it, they'll write it so it tells the insurance company its for a medical reason and then will be covered.
    my_name wrote:
    Every brand varies. The one I'm on costs about $45 a month, the one I want, seasonale, cuz it gives you 4 periods a year, that costs around $200 for the three months it gives you at a time... I"m looking at one though, the one that gives you 3 day periods, it comes in a generic and that only costs about $30. And what sucks is alot of insurance's don't cover birth control unless its for a medical reason... as in something more than just birth control, but alot of doctors, if you tell them your insurance won't cover it, they'll write it so it tells the insurance company its for a medical reason and then will be covered.

and I complain at the NHS charge of £6.65 for prescriptions!!
    less than 7 for one prescription? for a whole month?

Come on, I know one of you want to participate in some illegeal prescription drug trades ;)

I actually just got back from picking up two one month prescriptions... both covered by insurance, boty $30 a piece :p
    Condoms are also free on the NHS, just pop in to your local sexual health clinic. :)
    satehen wrote:
    Condoms are also free on the NHS, just pop in to your local sexual health clinic. :)

Any kind? Or do they have just a couple specific kinds? As many as you want?
    The amount is limited, and it's only the very boring latex kind.

Contraceptive pill is free in UK, just see you doctor, they'll weigh you, measure you, take your blood pressure ask a few questions and that's about it.

You should be able to tick box X on the back of the prescription which tells them why you don't pay for it.

Contraceptive pill is free in UK, just see you doctor, they'll weigh you, measure you, take your blood pressure ask a few questions and that's about it.

You should be able to tick box X on the back of the prescription which tells them why you don't pay for it.

Sorry for so many questions, and stealing your thread, Browny, but if you have to tick a box that says you don't have to pay for it, in some cirmstances do you have to pay for it? And what would that be?
    Nah, you never have to pay for contraception on the NHS, but the prescription forms are the same for everything and there's a whole pile of boxes on the back to fill in about paying/not paying and why.
    Nah, you never have to pay for contraception on the NHS, but the prescription forms are the same for everything and there's a whole pile of boxes on the back to fill in about paying/not paying and why.

For a while I was still in the habit of ticking the '17,18,19 still in education box' when I had finished my a levels at 18. Not on purpose though!!

No prob.

I've got boxes of Dianette and Cerazette lying around not needed here.....
    my_name wrote:
    Sorry for so many questions, and stealing your thread, Browny, but if you have to tick a box that says you don't have to pay for it, in some cirmstances do you have to pay for it? And what would that be?
    The NHS prescriptions are all written on the same type of form, there are a range of standard payment exemptions and you can just tick the box that applies (e.g. if you are pregnant, are a child, have been prescibed a free contraceptive, are in receipt of certain state benefits etc etc). The six-pound-something price is what you pay per item if you have to pay for it e.g. if it's not the pill and you aren't exempt from paying.
    When I first went on the pill I wasn't weighed or measured....
    Maybe they had a record already, or could make a pretty good guess from looking at you.

You are getting them from the wrong place then. In the past I went to the Brook and got a huge selection, different sizes, flavoured, ribbed, lube as well. The guy even demonstrated some of the products...um not physically .. that sounds rather dodgy.

As for paying for the pill, be careful if you are prescribed dianette or any pill for your skin, you have to say the main purpose you want it for is contraception otherwise you WILL get charged a prescription fee.
    Brook isn't NHS, that's why.

If you take Dianette you need to get 'FOC' , 'for contraceptive use' , or that female o+ thing on the prescription because it is no longer licensed soley as a contraceptive.
    I'm sure last time I went to the family planning clinic the NHS one we got all sorts of exiting condoms - however that was years and years ago
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    and I complain at the NHS charge of £6.65 for prescriptions!!

It's oly £3 here in Wales...and free for the under 25's :D
    And we have a 'National' Heath Service........
    And we have a 'National' Heath Service........

No we don't, we have several.
    Brook isn't NHS, that's why.

Can be, if they have been commissioned to provide the service. marie Stopes do our termination and vasectomy work.

~~~~~

Oh and BTW, to veryone here, read what Manda has written and remember it the next time you slag off the NHS...
    No we don't, we have several.

I'm very aware of that, and this case makes that point very well.
    Can be, if they have been commissioned to provide the service. marie Stopes do our termination and vasectomy work.

But generally Brook aren't, they describe themselves as 'is the only national voluntary sector provider of free and confidential sexual health advice and services specifically for young people under 25.'