Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

alocohol drinking age should be lowered

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i think it should be, simply because it would encourage a more responsible approach to drinking if approached well as a law i dont know, say non-distilled alcohol from a licensed premises and/or if purchased with an adult in company or something like that

spelling mistake in title, apoligises

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think it should, not with the attitude to drink we have in this country.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't think it's the law that's the problem in our country, it's the culture assocciated with it. A lot of it has to do with the pressures of work, French people work less than us and they have far less a problem with binge drinking.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I don't think it should, not with the attitude to drink we have in this country.

id poke a guess at the reason most adults get plastered of a weekend is because they're the most overworked population in the world (bar japan) and feel like some proper escapism
  • Options
    i think it should be, simply because it would encourage a more responsible approach to drinking if approached well as a law i dont know, say non-distilled alcohol from a licensed premises and/or if purchased with an adult in company or something like that

spelling mistake in title
    don't agree

16 year olds can drink in pubs if accompanied by adults anyway cant they? So lowering the drinking limit will just allow them to buy from off licenses with potentially NO supervision

Also children over 5 can be given alcohol by an adult in the home

so i dont see what lowering it will acheive to be honest :chin:
  • Options
    Brits are never going to have a Mediterranean cafe culture attitude towards drinking. In France and Italy people seem to go out for a meal and if they go to a bar they'll order one or two small beers and make it last all night. I'm not saying nobody there gets drunk because they do but whilst it's perfectly normal for us to go to the pub in the evening and have 4 or 5 pints and more it's a lot rarer in France or Italy. But we're not the only ones, the Germans have a similar attitude towards drink. (Although, the Germans do have the sense to drink decent stuff, German beer rocks and there's the German purity law...)

For once, Hazel Blears is right.

Lowering the drinking age will just mean that underage drinking starts a little bit earlier...

Personally, I'd like to see vastly increased duties on nasty chemical filled alcopops and reduced duty on beer produced by small breweries. And when I'm 21 I'd probably support raising the age to 21 for everything except beer and wine. I think that might help.
  • Options
    I can't see that working harder = heavier drinking.

How do you explain student drinking for example?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How do you explain student drinking for example?

An ancient tradition?
  • Options
    and for everyone else as well probably so I don't think it has much to do with how hard people work.

Correlation is not causation.......
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

:yes:

If the drinking age was lowered, what exactly would it achieve? Like someone has said, it would possibly mean that underage drinking will start earlier.
  • Options
    In austria you can drink and purchase wine and beer at age 16 and hard liquor (drink and purchase) at age 18.

We never had a problem with that, even tho many start to drink beer a tad younger. I started around 15...

/e: I agree with skive with the attitude towards drinking. I haven't lived in the UK at drinking age, but let alone from what I read about it on this site, it seems people see the weekend as their life raft to get so fucking sloshed that they can't even lie flat on the ground without grabbing something for halt. I don't say it does not happen over here, but not that much and not in that extent.

Maybe it's just me being foreign to the clubbing scene, but afaik 'normal' people don't take anywhere as much drugs, but anyhoo, that exceeds the topic.
  • Options
    id poke a guess at the reason most adults get plastered of a weekend is because they're the most overworked population in the world (bar japan) and feel like some proper escapism
    Well then shouldn't Japan have a worse problem than us? I also think Americans work more hours per week on average. They have a similar binge culture, but in terms of units drunk, they are nowhere near us. And I'm not sure about Ireland, but I know they drink more units per person than any other country.
  • Options
    To be honest a lot of adults lack the ability to drink responsibly anyway...

But I wouldn't lower it to 16 at all, if anything I'd put it up to 21.

People's bodies aren't developed at 16 (and no doubt this would make it easier for 13 year olds to get served) and they shouldn't be encouraged to drink. Wouldn't the risk of damage to their bodies be greater than that of an 18 year old?

Also, can you imagine the clubs? The amount of people who will get in trouble for having sex with underaged girls. Eek! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Also, can you imagine the clubs? The amount of people who will get in trouble for having sex with underaged girls. Eek! :crazyeyes
    No-one said clubs have to go down to 16. But yeah, I like the fact that you're free to look at girls in a club safe in the knowledge that they're gonna be at least 16 (well I hope, anyway).
  • Options
    No-one said clubs have to go down to 16. But yeah, I like the fact that you're free to look at girls in a club safe in the knowledge that they're gonna be at least 16 (well I hope, anyway).
    Well clubs are generally 18+ because they sell alcohol aren't they?
  • Options
    Brits are never going to have a Mediterranean cafe culture attitude towards drinking. In France and Italy people seem to go out for a meal and if they go to a bar they'll order one or two small beers and make it last all night. I'm not saying nobody there gets drunk because they do but whilst it's perfectly normal for us to go to the pub in the evening and have 4 or 5 pints and more it's a lot rarer in France or Italy. But we're not the only ones, the Germans have a similar attitude towards drink. (Although, the Germans do have the sense to drink decent stuff, German beer rocks and there's the German purity law...)

For once, Hazel Blears is right.

Lowering the drinking age will just mean that underage drinking starts a little bit earlier...

Personally, I'd like to see vastly increased duties on nasty chemical filled alcopops and reduced duty on beer produced by small breweries. And when I'm 21 I'd probably support raising the age to 21 for everything except beer and wine. I think that might help.

i started at 6, everyone i know who was able to drink from a young age at family house dos has landed up alright

itswhn you try to restrain kids
  • Options
    Well clubs are generally 18+ because they sell alcohol aren't they?

no thats why theres over 21 clubs as well, as well as under 18 nights
  • Options
    no thats why theres over 21 clubs as well, as well as under 18 nights
    The under 18 nights don't sell alcohol, or at least I've never been to one which does.

With the exception of a few clubs which let 16 year olds in and stamp the hands of anyone who's over 18 to get access to alcohol, clubs are generally 18 plus because they sell booze and people get pissed.
  • Options
    With the exception of a few clubs which let 16 year olds in and stamp the hands of anyone who's over 18 to get access to alcohol, clubs are generally 18 plus because they sell booze and people get pissed.
    No clubs aren't allowed to let under 18's in by law. It's completely seperate to the legal age of drinking law. So there would be no problem changing drinking laws and keeping the club entry laws intact.
  • Options
    No clubs aren't allowed to let under 18's in by law. It's completely seperate to the legal age of drinking law. So there would be no problem changing drinking laws and keeping the club entry laws intact.
    It's just going to make the age of binge drinkers younger. 16/17 year olds manage to get in clubs now.. if the age was lowered we'd be accompanied by a bunch of drunk 14/15 year olds who have managed to get in.

Bleh!
  • Options

Of course they don't sell alcohol, otherwise they would be breaking the law. I think most places stick to the over 18 law where as some clubs chose to leave nights free for certain social groups. The Oceana in Leeds has student nights on Mon and Wed for students only (18+ obviously) but I think a Saturday is over 19's and over 21's night.
  • Options
    Captain wrote:
    It's just going to make the age of binge drinkers younger. 16/17 year olds manage to get in clubs now.. if the age was lowered we'd be accompanied by a bunch of drunk 14/15 year olds who have managed to get in.

Bleh!
    How d'you work that out. Surely if the age to enter a club is kept at 18, the legal age for drinking wouldn't make any difference. They'd still have to look 18 to get in.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If the drinking age was lowered, what exactly would it achieve? Like someone has said, it would possibly mean that underage drinking will start earlier.

Unlikely.

If you accept young drinking as a given, then it doesn't matter if its legal or not, teenagers are going to drink.

Given that, I'd like to see the age lowered for certain drinks (normal beer and cider, but not spirits or alcopops over 4.5% vol), simply so that the younger people can come inside the pubs and drink in relative safety. I'd rather that 16-year-olds were drinking in the pub rather than standing on the street corner and in the bus shelter swigging white lightning. They'd get into much less mischief in a pub playing pool.

A lot of the problems with drinking in Britain come from the fact that alcohol and getting pissed is seen as "adult", and therefore teenagers want to do it as much as possible as early as possible. Where alcohol isn't seen as an adult thing, the problems are much less noted. In the UK drinking is seen as competition- the one who drinks the most is the most adult and "manly".

Germany has a drinking culture, but it isn't a binge-drinking culture, and drinking is not seen as a competitive sport there. That's why its so much nicer to drink in Germany.
  • Options
    Can't people over 16 already drink wine or beer with a meal?

I've only really become more sensible about drinking in the last year or so. Most teenagers have no sense of taste and just go for sweet things that don't taste of alcohol.

I don't agree with the idea..even though I started drinking at 13 myself.
  • Options
    I think that a similar model to that used in a lot of Western Europe should be considered, where by 16+ can buy and drink normal beer/cider but you have to be 18+ to buy/drink spirits.

It might just help tone down the binge drinking culture, which is almost always spirit fuelled.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I don't think it's the law that's the problem in our country, it's the culture assocciated with it. A lot of it has to do with the pressures of work, French people work less than us and they have far less a problem with binge drinking.

Indeed.

This is the problem. To have a situation where we don't worry about this, like seen in many countries round the world, Britain is going to have to change drastically, and lose our apraoch to things. We are going to have to adopt the culture seen elsewhere.

We can't just have a high stress lifestyle and pretend our problems don't exist, and have easily availible alcohol. Then we'd be an even worse nation of bingers.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Can't people over 16 already drink wine or beer with a meal?
    It's 14 I think, but it's still up to the restaurant as to whether they want to serve them or not. I think it only applies to restaurants though, and not food in a pub.
  • Options
    Keep it all to 18 and put a harsher demand on identification.

I could walk into a shop and buy alcohol at 14, not wine but hard liquour. One night I was buying it for a party and bought 4 litres of vodka and crates of beer without even a second look.

This is where the problem is.

But how do you outbreed so to speak, something which is so accepted? Surely it would take years to convince people not to binge drink.
    And surely it has something, maybe cause maybe effect, to do with the fact that Briton is such a depressed nation.
  • Options
    Gemmzie wrote:
    Keep it all to 18 and put a harsher demand on identification.

I could walk into a shop and buy alcohol at 14, not wine but hard liquour. One night I was buying it for a party and bought 4 litres of vodka and crates of beer without even a second look.

This is where the problem is.

That's not where the problem is at all.

I've been drinking alcohol since I was three, my dad used to give me some of his beer watered down with lemonade, but I'm not a hard drinker and I never have been.

It's about how children are raised to see alcohol- I've always been taught that alcohol is nice, it tastes nice and makes you feel nice, but not drinking too much is important. The reason why the rest of Europe doesn't have the hard-boozing culture is exactly because people can drink at a younger age over there- you can drink at 14 or 16 in much of Europe, provided you stay off the spirits.

I would happily see it that children aged 14 to 18 can drink alcohol up to a certain limit, say drinks less than 4.5% ABV. I think it would remove the mystique of alcohol, and letting them drink in pubs with their mates, a jukebox and a pool table would curb a lot of antisocial behaviour.
  • Options
    i completely agree with the 2 step system...wine, beer and cider under a certain percentage (lets say 7.5%) being available to over 16s and then spirits available to over 18s... i do think though that the driving age should be raised to 18, purely because thats inline with the rest of Europe, and that fewer people would be so eager to get their provisional and crash cars like no tomorrow. that extra year may mean that people actually realise what driving a car can actually do..
  • Options
    ^ I disagree with that - if you're allowed to drive from 17 then it gives you to chance to learn to drive while you're still living at home rather than while you're at uni. If you raised it to 18 then people with birthdays at the end of the academic year wouldn't have that opportunity. Of my friends, the only people who can drive are the ones who learnt before they went to uni - the others all talk about trying to learn, but it's just not practical because you'd have to switch instructors or take a lengthy break during either term time or the holidays.

Going back to the original topic, I think if we have a law that says you have to be 18 to buy alcohol, we should stick to it a lot more rigidly than we do at the moment. A lot of underage drinking is to do with being cool, and getting away with buying alcohol when you're only 15 or 16 fuels that because it makes you feel adult, like you've got away with something you shouldn't really have been allowed to. That's certainly a factor to consider, anyway. But I agree with people who've said drinking (not spirits though) should be allowed from 16 in pubs as kids are probably going to drink anyway and it's better they've got somewhere to go rather than loitering on the streets or in parks.