Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

which ones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Know this has probably been done before but i'm a lazee cow :)

My straightening irons have died a death and i'm def. in need of some new ones but i've had mixed comments from friends. Some swear by GHD's and some prefer the cheaper babyliss ones etc. So if anybody could give me their opinions on which ones they've got it'd be appreciated as i'm just confused now. For the record i have curly/fuzzy hair :rolleyes:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have wavy hair and my remingtons straighten it out pretty well. They were only 20 quid as well from boots, bargin! I've had them about 2 years though and have left them on all day a few times :rolleyes: so they're a bit worn so I'm kinda in your position too.

My friend has GHDS (lucky cow lol) and if you've got the money for them, I've heard they're the best.
    Do you have conair? I have a fuller version of richard simmons with hairspray head but those only cost me about 20 and do it stick straight at setting 15ish... it goes to 25. http://www.conair.com/professional-instant-heat-straightener-with-ultrahot-ceramic-2andquot-plates-p-59.html this thing. Then it has this uber hot power thing for tough places Most places around here at least will let you return such things if you don't like it, if its not up to your quailty. Take advantage if they do.

I looked on the conair website and they linked to that babybliss place when I typed in UK...

As innocent Kate says, I've also heard good things about Remingtons.
    i dont think you'll find much better than GHD's. iv tried loads of different types of straighteners (friends pairs and stuff) and to be honest cheaper ones have never managed to do anything to my hair. or maybe its just my hair.

iv found that cheaper straighteners will straighten it but it doesnt stay straight for long, especially when submitted to nightclub settings!
    GHD's all the way!
    GHD's are the best, its official. Well it must be official somewhere!

You could opt to buy a cheaper pair but you are better of saving up and investing in some. They are amazing and you won't be able to live without once you have had them for a little while!
    I've been a GHD owner for about 5 years now. Before then I scraped by with crappy Babyliss ones from Boots.

Lemme tell you, when you've tried GHD, you won't want ANY others.

Lemme tell you, when you've tried GHD, you won't want ANY others.

It's true. I don't know anyone who's had GHD's and then changed to something different.
    I was wanting to get GHDs until i was at my hairdressers and she told me they're really bad for your hair. They get too hot and they have no temperature control. She said she'd had quite a few people coming in with fried hair from GHDs. But i'm still tempted....might just get some remmingtons with temerature control.
    I don't get temperature control anyway. Surely, you want straight hair, so why would you lessen the temp? The hotter they are, the straighter your hair will be, and stay.

Plus, heat protection spray people :thumb:
    if you have curly/frizzy hair - get GHDs. yes they're about £90 but well worth it. i've had the same pair for 4 years now!

:yes: If you have a Boots Advantage card, get yourself down there now, because if you put your card into the machine you can get a voucher for a free mini (as in travel size) Toni and Guy (or Umberto Gianni or Trevor Sorbie) hair care product. Toni and Guy do a mini 50ml heat protection spray which counts under that voucher :)

ETA: Smells nice enough as well (just sprayed it on my hand as I haven't used it yet, still got some Avon stuff left)
    I don't get temperature control anyway. Surely, you want straight hair, so why would you lessen the temp? The hotter they are, the straighter your hair will be, and stay.

but the hotter they are, the worse it is for your hair - everyones hair is different, some people might have thick frizzy hair that need it hot, others might have fine weak hair and need a low temp.
    I'm not sure how much different protection spray makes tbh.
    Nikki* wrote:
    :yes: If you have a Boots Advantage card, get yourself down there now, because if you put your card into the machine you can get a voucher for a free mini (as in travel size) Toni and Guy (or Umberto Giannini or Trevor Sorbie) hair care product. Toni and Guy do a mini 50ml heat protection spray which counts under that voucher :)

ETA: Smells nice enough as well (just sprayed it on my hand as I haven't used it yet, still got some Avon stuff left)
    I swear by Toni and Guy Heat Protection Spray.
    I swear by Toni and Guy Heat Protection Spray.
    i got some of it for xmas, not too sure about the smell. It reminds me of ciggie smoke - maybe its just me. :chin:
    toni & guy heat protection spray smells delicious! nothing like cigarette smoke. :no:

i've nearly finished one by regis, gonna try a paul mitchell one next. i borrowed it from my friend and it was good. :yes:
    toni & guy heat protection spray smells delicious! nothing like cigarette smoke. :no:
    maybe it's just me - or its fake lol
    Ballerina wrote:
    I was wanting to get GHDs until i was at my hairdressers and she told me they're really bad for your hair. They get too hot and they have no temperature control. She said she'd had quite a few people coming in with fried hair from GHDs. But i'm still tempted....might just get some remmingtons with temerature control.
    never heard a hairdresser say ewt like that, they usually use them :confused:

if your hair is fried then you hair must be in pretty bad condition in the first place

i have a full head of bleach and use my ghd's every single day and my hair's never been fried, nor have any of my mates

besides, IMO the hotter they get, the less damage they do

because they get so hot, you only have to go over your hair once, if you're using a cheap brand that don't get as hot, you may have to go over you hair twice, maybe even three times to get the same effect as using ghd's just the once which surely will damage the hair more?

not having a go just putting my opinion across :)
    my hair's never looked healthier :love:
    Littleali wrote:
    my hair's never looked healthier :love:
    TBH, I can say the same about my hair. I've been using GHDs for 5 years and not had a cut for 3 of those years and my tutor at college (professional hair and makeup artist) is surprised that I used straighteners at all, because it's in such good condition.
    i've nearly finished one by regis, gonna try a paul mitchell one next. i borrowed it from my friend and it was good. :yes:

Is it the paul mithcel heat seal one? I use that it smells just like a hair dressers :p

I don't have GHD'S I have these http://www.hqhair.com/code/products.asp?PageID=407&SectionID=455&FeaturedID=2719&FeaturedProduct=4025&pID=1
    which are even more expensive, (argh :/ ) but they do come with a 2 year guarentee, and i've had mine over 2 years and they are fine.
    They are lovely and you can change the tempertaure on them aswell, but i normally whack it up to 210 which is the hottest. I just prefer them to ghd's but each to their own, when they die i will probably get ghd's as they are cheaper and i'm not as rich as i once was, ha :p

You can get ghd's for about 75-89 on the internet although i have seen them a bit chepaer, new, on ebay before. If your hair is a bit wild on occasions then i would gor for the ghd's over the cheapo ones you spend less time straightening and stuff which is always good when your getting ready to go out.
    I've had ghds for just over a year now, and tbh, with them, I don't need to use straightening balm/blow dry my hair straight/touch my hair up during the day anymore. They're fantastic. And my hair's pretty wavy and thick.

And regarding Toni & Guy products.. I went into Boots today, and they were on offer, so I got the serum (£5.99) and heat-spray (£7.99) together for £7. Bargainnnn!
    GHD's no question.

As long as you look after your hair and use heat protection spray (t&G smells yummy), deep condition every so often hair will be fine.

I have been using straighteners for about 5+ years now and my hair does not look dry.
    FilthyChav wrote:

And regarding Toni & Guy products.. I went into Boots today, and they were on offer, so I got the serum (£5.99) and heat-spray (£7.99) together for £7. Bargainnnn!

Bloody loads of hair stuff is on offer in Boots atm (at least in ours). Toni and Guy, John Frieda, Umberto Gianni, Lee Stafford... it's worth a gander.
    Thanking you everyone, i managed to get some GHD's for £78 and they're fine and dandy :thumb: Just waiting to get some protection spray and some intensive conditioner and then wow, i might look less like Kate Bush and more like Kate Moss (or not but i needed a kate );)