Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Back Pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have had trouble with my back for a long time, since i was 13 (i think), when i was diagnosed with scoliosis. Then last year during a routine checkup for my scoliosis they discovered that my bones are much thinner than they should be. I was told to up my intake of cacium, and take mild pain killers for the pain, whilst i wait for a dexa scan. Basicly for the last month or so, i have been in constant pain with it, and nothing seems to help, some days is worse than others, like yesterday my back went into spasm twice an i couldnt move without screaming out in pain.

So what im trying to say in my very round about way is, what is a good way to get calcium other than tablets coz i 4gt regually and also a way to deal with the pain.

Thanks

xx emz xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Milk, dairy and meat.

Brand name cereals often have it as an additive so a good bowl of cereal in the morning with a hefty serving of milk would be a good start. Another glass when you get in and then one before bedtime. If you hate the taste then try it with nesquick or something similar.

I'm getting back pain like that at the moment for completely different reasons, but apparently lying flat on my back in a warm bath may help give some temporary relief.
    sorry i forgot to say that, im vegatarian and cant drink milk coz it makes me throw up.

Might try a hot bath now
    Ice cream? Cheese? Yoghurt?
    Other than eating a shit load of calcium containing foods, you may well need to supplement. Try and get 1000-1200mg of calcium everyday from meals/supplement.

As for the pain, Im using a t.e.n.s machine, and its doing me wonders. I would speak to your Dr. about it first.
    I too suffer from back pain (HMS, spasms etc) and find these to be a godsend.

I'd also talk to your gp about POM painkillers and if poss a referral for pain management if it's available.
    I think Brocoli has a calcium source. :chin: Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist or asking your doctors about how they suggest to up your calcium intake? They'd probably be able to give you a few good ideas. :)
    I'm sure someone on here told me that nuts contain calcium?
    Sofie wrote:
    I'm sure someone on here told me that nuts contain calcium?

im allergic, so thats no good either. I can clearly see why i havent been getting enough calcium over the years
    If you're a veggie with a nut allergy that doesn't like milk then you are going to need professional advice. Your doctor or practise nurse should be able to help out.