Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may be a stupid question, but is a car that's been used for towing more likely to be knackered? It's just that I've only just noticed that a car I was looking at has a tow-bar on it, and it occured to me that if it's been used for towing a caravan a lot or something, the engine might have been put under more strain than normal. Or am I talking bollocks?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're talking bollocks :). Infact, if it has a tow bar then it's probably been owned by older people, and at least that means it hasn't been ragged around town!. Just make sure you're able to test drive the car, usually you can tell if the car's knackered from the sound of the engine the quality of the ride and any quirky behavior of the car.
    Don't think its bollocks. I know plenty of people that tow heavy stuff find that the clutch gets hammered a lot faster so would be worth asking what its been towing.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Don't think its bollocks.

It's not bollocks.

And the fact it may have been owned by older people doen't always mean it's in better shape. Young people tend to look after there cars more and run them more often, where as old people often ride the clutch and leave the car idle for days.
    Weekender Offender 
    So basically it could or could not be any worse than a car without a bar.

You never know. It might be a 1300cc car that's been used to tow a gargantuan caravan, or a 3000cc monster that's been ferrying around a couple of bikes in a trailer.

Can't say it would mean much by itself.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    So basically it could or could not be any worse than a car without a bar.

You never know. It might be a 1300cc car that's been used to tow a gargantuan caravan, or a 3000cc monster that's been ferrying around a couple of bikes in a trailer.

Can't say it would mean much by itself.

Exactly. And a towbar's handy anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
    Indeedy.

Our 1.2 Clio has a tow bar, is really well looked after and tows sailing dinghies that weigh in at about 100 kg so really have no impact on the car at all, other than meaning that when we tow we drive really carefully because it's such a light trailer.

Another mates is shagged because theirs tows gennys and stuff.
    Towing something big and heavy will put a greater strain on the clutch, brakes and suspension. So long as it is within specifications then it shouldn't harm anything else, just accelerate wear.

Towing a small trailer twice a year to the tip is nothing to worry about. :)

Sorry if it's too late to be of any use.
    Being owned by older drivers doesn't mean its been looked after or not driven hard. My grandad for some strange reason revs the bollocks off his focus. He doesn't drive it fast, just revs it a lot. I also have a feeling he can't park whatsoever because every time I see his car it has a new bump or scrape on it. I feel sorry for the poor car :(