Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can't breathe properly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since around four months ago, I've been unable to breathe properly. When I'm about to reach the end of a long breath I always end up burping! I smoked for a period of three months or so occasionally, could they be related? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm no expert on this area, but it sounds like air is getting down the wrong pipe, i.e. something might be wrong with your eppiglottis. However I wouldn't get alarmed as this is me just guessing. Ask a doctor?
    Originally posted by Neurotic:
    <STRONG>Since around four months ago, I've been unable to breathe properly. When I'm about to reach the end of a long breath I always end up burping! I smoked for a period of three months or so occasionally, could they be related? Cheers in advance.</STRONG>
    When we breathe in, the lungs expand and push down on the diaphragm which compresses the abdomen. Right? OK so the stomach gets squashed in the process. If you take in a particularly large breath the stomach will get squashed and this may force air out as a burp. In other words, you might just be susceptible to wind.

It could be the epiglottis like Alistair says, but I dunno, sounds unlikely. It's best to get a medical opinion from your GP. He/she will probably measure your peak flow to assess your lung function, and may have a look at the epiglottis down your throat.

I doubt smoking for 3 months will have caused this. To do serious damage to the lungs you have to smoke for years, not months. Although obviously by giving up smoking you will have improved your lung function.
    yeah she is right i had a mate that did it all the time was stress related in work