Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ill/not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have dithered about where to put this.

I worked for 8 weeks over the summer on my placement from uni. I then had two operations in September and went back to University at the start of October. Came home from uni after 6 weeks because I wasn't well enough to be there, and am not well enough to work.

Does anyone know of any kind of financial support I might be entitled to?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're not actually in active study you would be entitled to claim either JSA or disability benefits, but if you don't desperately need the money then its not really worth the hassle.
    I'm definitely not in active study and won't be until October. I suppose I don't desperately need the money as I'm living at home until I go back and my parents support me, but then again £5 to spend a week isn't really a lot!
    I'd send a PM to Joolyknockers and see what she thinks about going for benefits, etc- I don't really understand it!

I know that you can, but I don't know how easy it is, or which ones you are entitled to without the relevant NI contributions.
    From my own similar experience...

I was told by my GP that I wasn't entitled to sickness benefits for any period that I had already received student loan for (i.e. until the end of term), regardless of whether or not I was actually studying.

Also in terms of not having paid enough National Insurance contributions I was not entitled to 'incapacity benefit' but I was given 'income support' instead (at the reduced rate of £45.50 a week for under 25s).

Disability Living Allowance can only be claimed after 3 months of needing care and it is likely that the care will be required for at least another 6 months. That one is pretty hard to get but you can be studying whilst in receipt of this (I think).
    Thanks for that, I'll look into income support then.

I never got my student loan, they hadn't sorted it out by the time I came home.
    I never got my student loan, they hadn't sorted it out by the time I came home.
    That should work in your favour then :)

Good luck for it all.
    One thing to consider is that if you sign on, for whatever, then it at least some record of what you were doing during the time period. Otherwise you'll have an 8 month gap of nothing. It can be useful to retain a complete history for work purposes, as some places may ask for one going back a few years.
    Gaps of a few months can easily be covered up, by the simple solution of only including the year you worked in your employment history.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Blagsta wrote:
    Gaps of a few months can easily be covered up, by the simple solution of only including the year you worked in your employment history.

When the boy started his last job, he had to produce references for all his previous positions and get references for any time he had signed on / was between contracts or whatever, including just a couple of months here and there. It was a real hassle.
    I've got a whole pile of hospital/doctors letters saying I'm ill and need to take the time off uni to rest so that side of things shouldn't be too much of a problem, but thanks for telling me.
    if you are officially registered as a student with your university you won't be entitled to any state benefits.
    if you have officially intermitted your studies from university you would be entitled to claim JSA / disability benefit until you return.
    I've officially intermitted my studies (I think).
    I've officially intermitted my studies (I think).
    you've have signed an official form stating such.
    if so you are entitled to claim benefits from the state.
    If you haven't had a full time job in the last couple of years then it's most likely Income Support for you. The jobcentre will probably go down the Incapacity Benefit route first, then tell you that you aren't entitled due to insufficient National Insurance contributions and award you Income Support instead. I don't know whether you are in rented accomodation, but you might also be able to claim Housing Benefit towards some or all your rent.

www.entitledto.com is pretty good
    Cheers for that. I will look into all of it, although fingers crossed I might have found myself a job I can manage in the near future.