Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the most expensive/poshest/strangest thing you've eaten?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not expensive or posh but I've eaten horse. Swordfish is regular now, I hate calamari, veal and foie gras don't interest me and when you live in th ecountry rabbit is pretty much staple diet...
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    foie gras [is] inherently cruel; there's no way to produce them without treating them inhumanely, so I'd never eat them again.

That's not actually true. I saw an episode of a programme with that chef who spent a year in France now lives and works in the South Hams, can't think of his name. Hang on.

That's it, John Burton Race, and the programme on Ch 4 was called French Leave.

Anyway, he visited a farm where fois gras was produced and they showed the farmer feeding the geese. Eventually he admitted that it is possible to produce fois gras just by overfeeding the geese rather than force feeding them, because they're greedy creatures anyway, but it would take longer.... so it's all about the money.
  • Options
    Have foie gros every Xmas. Eaten ostrich, snails, worms, rabbit, pigeon, grouse, which was sick. Once had a three course meal in France of truffles, was pretty good! Oh and chickens feet! Urgh they were the worst, boney and crunchy in batter!
  • Options
    I had no idea foie gras was illegeal there too, I remember when I heard it was going illegeal in Chicago and I thought it was just because we're a bunch of retards :p
  • Options
    I was gonna have crocodile a couple of months ago, but I already felt a bit shitty, so I thought I'd go for something a bit more traditional. But next time I'm in the restaurant, I'll have it and report back. I think they also do rattlesnake.
  • Options
    I love Freshly killed rabbit from the night before, put into a stew. Gorgeous!

Not had any for years though! :(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I :heart: calamari...its gorgeous.
    The battered stuff, with lemon juice squeezed on top is absolutely fuckin beautiful :yum:

And the strangest thing I can think of right now would be shark.

I eat all sorts of out of the norm foods though. Or at least they seem strange when I talk to most of my friends who hate even olives and mussles (yum!).
  • Options
    I was gonna have crocodile a couple of months ago

Theres a takeaway in trefforest that does crocodile, ostrich, swordfish, squid and a load of other weird things :yuck:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Walkabout does Croc. It's very nice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Since when was veal and foi gras illegal? Veal is on sale in my local supermarket, or at least it was the last time I was there which cant have been longer than a month ago. Why would they ban it?

Personally I think its rather a good meat and given loads of calfs are destroyed anyway its something we should eat more of.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    :yes: I generally love that gamey taste, but Rabbit is just wrong, it even smells vile too.

I'm disapointed in you, especially given the part of the country you're from, rabbit is excellent, its pretty much the best pie filling.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Since when was veal and foi gras illegal? Veal is on sale in my local supermarket, or at least it was the last time I was there which cant have been longer than a month ago. Why would they ban it?

Personally I think its rather a good meat and given loads of calfs are destroyed anyway its something we should eat more of.

they aint illegal in england at all, im pretty sure both are widely available if you want it. be bloody stupid if they banned it, stuff like that pisses me off.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    they aint illegal in england at all, im pretty sure both are widely available if you want it. be bloody stupid if they banned it, stuff like that pisses me off.

On a related topic haggis is banned in Auz, so people have to smuggle it in for Burns Night.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Theres a takeaway in trefforest that does crocodile, ostrich, swordfish, squid and a load of other weird things :yuck:

:eek: where?! ill be back in treforrest tomorrow - need to check this place out!! .. maybe not try crocodile tho :sour:

altho ostrich apparently is quite nice!!
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:

altho ostrich apparently is quite nice!!

I've eaten ostrich. It's very unlike unlike other bird meat, probably closer to beef I would say actually!
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I've eaten ostrich. It's very unlike unlike other bird meat, probably closer to beef I would say actually!

Apart from biltong I've only ever had Ostrich from the local curry house, and I suspect it's not really the best way to apreciate it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Since when was veal and foi gras illegal? Veal is on sale in my local supermarket.

It's not illegal, but veal farming is still banned in this country as far as I'm aware. Most veal comes from the Netherlands, but yes, they sell it in the supermarket.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I'm disapointed in you, especially given the part of the country you're from, rabbit is excellent, its pretty much the best pie filling.

My dog brings one in from the field behind our house from time to time. Needless to say they go straight in the bin. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Rabbit is yummy.

I've eaten:

Rabbit
    Horse
    Crocodile
    Ostrich
    Veal :yum:
    Foi Gras :yum::yum::yum:
  • Options
    I think and i'm pretty damn sure i heard a whole programme on radio 4 about it - that its only Veal crates which are banned in the UK - clicky

However anyone who eats dairy products, chicken or pork (unless they ONLY every eat free range) is being highly hypocrytical when they say that veal is wrong because those methords of production are equally cruel.
  • Options
    Ah, there we go then.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I think and i'm pretty damn sure i heard a whole programme on radio 4 about it - that its only Veal crates which are banned in the UK - clicky

However anyone who eats dairy products, chicken or pork (unless they ONLY every eat free range) is being highly hypocrytical when they say that veal is wrong because those methords of production are equally cruel.

Indeed, and as that show says;

"If we don't consider consuming the young, male calves of dairy cows, what is to be done about this 'by-product' of the dairy industry?"

As it stands they are just destroyed, is that better than people eating them?
  • Options
    I totally agree - I also get really annoyed by people who are vegetarian who don't eat meat because its cruel but will happily eat dairy products.

I'd much rather eat a nice bit of beef which comes from a cow who has had a lovely life out in the fields with his mum and friends than drink milk produced by some poor cow who's udders are painfully full of milk, who's had their calf taken away from them when they have only just given birth to it and who faces death if she doesn't get pregnant quickly enough or doesn't produce enough milk. (Obviously i'm totally hyporcritical here as I do eat cheese and cream)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    (Obviously i'm totally hyporcritical here as I do eat cheese and cream)

I do what I can and get organic milk from a supplier I know treats the cows well, but with cheese its just impossible, especially given the amount of cheese I eat, which is a lot.
  • Options
    Humm - maybe go to a farmers market that way you can meet the farmers directly but I'm not sure how many of them produce all the cheese they sell, the best thing is to actually visit the farm.

Also if you can find it - not that i ever have but it could be worth looking into biodynamic cheese? I know when we went to visit a biodynamic farm (as part of my degree course) they were really lovely to all thier animals and treated them really well and all the cows still had thier horns becuase they belived that the earths energy was channeled into the cows stomach through thier horns - awww bless.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Humm - maybe go to a farmers market that way you can meet the farmers directly but I'm not sure how many of them produce all the cheese they sell, the best thing is to actually visit the farm.

Also if you can find it - not that i ever have but it could be worth looking into biodynamic cheese? I know when we went to visit a biodynamic farm (as part of my degree course) they were really lovely to all thier animals and treated them really well and all the cows still had thier horns becuase they belived that the earths energy was channeled into the cows stomach through thier horns - awww bless.

Bloody hippies! It might be rubbish, but if they are like that then you know the cows are going to be looked after properly. The problem is of course cost, it costs a lot more to look after the animals to that standard.
  • Options
    I've ordered steak tartare a few times in France which to most people here would seem a pretty strange thing to eat...Do love the stories I've heard of English people unknowingly ordering it and then being disgusted at being served raw beef with a raw egg. But it is actually very nice.

Foie gras is delicious. And tbh, I've always wanted to try ortolan but that's even illegal in France now. (Although, Mitterrand still had it as his last meal and the illegal part doesn't bother plenty of French traditionalists).
    For centuries, a rite of passage for French gourmets has been the eating of the Ortolan. These tiny birds—captured alive, force-fed, then drowned in Armagnac—were roasted whole and eaten that way, bones and all, while the diner draped his head with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

You catch the ortolan with a net spread up in the forest canopy. Take it alive. Take it home. Poke out its eyes and put it in a small cage. Force-feed it oats and millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Drown it in brandy. Roast it whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Bring it to the table. Place a cloth—a napkin will do—over your head to hide your cruelty from the sight of God. Put the whole bird into your mouth, with only the beak protruding from your lips. Bite. Put the beak on your plate and begin chewing, gently. You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. This is the Holy Spirit, the mystery of the Trinity—three united as one. It is cruel. And beautiful.
    Wiki.

I'd like to try kobe beef too but that will also be waay expensive.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Bloody hippies! It might be rubbish, but if they are like that then you know the cows are going to be looked after properly. The problem is of course cost, it costs a lot more to look after the animals to that standard.

Also your paying the extra cost for a farm which is on ley lines
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Also your paying the extra cost for a farm which is on ley lines

That really is fantastic, that's got to be one of the best posts I've read on here in a long while!
  • Options
    I've ordered steak tartare a few times in France which to most people here would seem a pretty strange thing to eat...Do love the stories I've heard of English people unknowingly ordering it and then being disgusted at being served raw beef with a raw egg. But it is actually very nice.

:yes: I love it.
    Weekender Offender