Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gritty Weed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all, this is my first post ever and i hav some troubling news.

Has anyone else noticed the gritty green going about recently? Well it turns out that it is potentially very dangerous, follow link to find out more www.ukcia.org.

Happy new year, and keep away from this!

Comments

• Options
    Do you mind giving me the jist here, given I'd rather not follow that link at work.
  • Options
    Sure, this is a quote from the website:

'We've received reports about this "grit weed" from all over the country on our forum and we have photographs of it. It seems to be some kind of small glass particles held on the bud in some kind of glue.

We have no idea of the nature of the glue, but if this is glass, it could be a very serious health risk. Breathing in small bits of glass could well cause damage to your lungs, possibly even something as dangerous as silicosis.'

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Wouldnt this be stupidly labour intensive and therefore not worth it for the profit margin?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Wouldnt this be stupidly labour intensive and therefore not worth it for the profit margin?

Yeah it would be very labour intensive but then it could make the weed quite considerably heavier?
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah it would be very labour intensive but then it could make the weed quite considerably heavier?

I suppose so, and there really isnt any grim lengths those in the drug market will go to to make a bit more profit.
  • Options
    ive seen this stuff and it looks and smells like the real deal, apparently its yeast or sugar solution but who knows, i tasted a joint of it and it harsh and not pleseant, i didnt even sell it on it went in the bin, robbing bastards
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I suppose so, and there really isnt any grim lengths those in the drug market will go to to make a bit more profit.

Yeh it's true, was reported on Bluelight a month or 2 ago. Like clear sand to make the bags weigh more. You'd probably not want to burn it that's for sure.

Although I hear if you inspect the weed before you buy you can tell quite easily if any 'sand' has been added.
  • Options
    Could add a filter to a spliff rather than a roach if you do end up with any of this stuff.
  • Options
    Could add a filter to a spliff rather than a roach if you do end up with any of this stuff.

Yeah that's a good idea. nice1
  • Options
    i remember readin somewhere a filter filters out like 60% of the THC.. so id rather just bong it!
  • Options
    When you skin up, you can tell. It's literally all over your hands.
  • Options
    z- wrote:
    i remember readin somewhere a filter filters out like 60% of the THC.. so id rather just bong it!
    Didn't know that. Bong's the way forward then!
  • Options
    either way, anyone who has the cheek to sell you this deserves a punch imo
  • Options
    Which areas is this stuff going about? :confused:
  • Options
    this weed seems to be everywhere at the mo, and its nasty, i read some where on the net that it is coated with silica, you know them little white paper bags you get in new trainers with them little balls in them just grounded up, and its supposed to be quite dangerous. but when me and a few mates were talking about it we also thought it was fibre glass which still puts me off buyin or even smoking it, but due to the droughts that hjave been going on its the only way to make the money off the weed by adding to the weight by using this stuff and to make it look like its covered in cystals, my advice is to stay away and find a better dealer.
  • Options
    Had reports of his on another forum I post on:

http://www.partyvibe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21585
    from the description you give (particularly that it it is more difficult to burn) I think it may be this stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

easy to obtain, not as visible as fine sand or other bulking agents, solidifies into crystals (which some mistake for THC crystals!) and is fairly dense (2.4g / cm3) so would increase the weight of the draw...
    Raj wrote:
    If it is it will dissolve in water - try it and see
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There was an article in the Guardian on Friday about it, with quotes from Drugscope ...

Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Apologies for dragging up a semi old thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning that a Department of Health warning has just been issued for contaminated cannabis with glass beads/ground glass.

The gist of it is that laboratory testing has confirmed a number of cases from different parts of the country. They have also had unconfirmed reports that suggest various health risks as a result of smoking contaminated buds, including a sore mouth, mouth ulcers, chesty persistent coughs, and a tight chest lasting a few days after use.
    Take care out there all you smokers...
  • Options
    I don't even smoke and I know this stuff was doing the rounds around my area...
  • Options
    Wasnt around here thank god, the green going around at the moment has been top stuff.

But sure saying that i'd rather have a smoke of good polm.
  • Options
    Not seen any of this shit about, and I've been buying some 'fairly' large amounts.

Although I bong all my weed anyway so I doubt it'd affect me.
  • Options
    in saying that, the polm going around isn't great

The Polm in Amsterdam is mental mate.
  • Options
    Not seen any of this shit about, and I've been buying some 'fairly' large amounts.

Although I bong all my weed anyway so I doubt it'd affect me.

I haven't had any of this gritty shit either, if I did I think I'd probably throw it back in my dealers face.

Bonghead lol, hmm I have mixed views on Bongs, sometimes I love having a good chong sesh and sometimes I really despise them. They're great when you're rushing on pills though. :D
  • Options
    I've just never bothered to learn to roll and I've been smoking for 5 years now. Just make a mix, chuck it in the bong and I'm set.
  • Options
    i reckon i had some of that grit weed shit,, it was last week and i was a tad drunk, i picked up as usual with my mate and i hadnt had a smoke in aaagges so couldnt wait.

so the herbs are like kind of glittery, not in a big way but if u looked really really closely you could see tiny tiny little particles. and it was on my hands a bit. first i was like 'shit its that grit weed stuff!' but then i told myself i was a bit drunk and therefore paranoid. and none of my other mates who use the same dealer have had a problem.

got quite stoned but spent the next 2 days with a violent cough. i still have a wheezy chest and the doctor told me 'its just a cough that will pass'. now its a week later and im still coughing, and have a tight chest.

so im thinking this could either be the grit weed, or maybe it wasnt at all, as im an asthmatic who stupidly smokes and have had an on/off cough for a while now..

but either way im gna try and find a new dealer cos it did look a bit suspicious,, all im sayin is be careful.