Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

advice needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have worked for a very large organisation for the last year and a half, when they hired me i had to attend a visit with an occupatational health therapist as i have an "underlying health condition" they still gave me a permanent contract. Recently i have been assigned to a new immediate manager and the centre where i work has recieved a new manager, for the third time i was sent to the health therapist, her report was the same and she also stated she would have to write a report against the company as it had been statedthat my condition was static and unlikely to change. I was recently contacted by my local CID and Procurator Fiscals Office to advise me that charges i pressed against a rapist more than three years ago where still running as the culprit had been arrested re-entering the uk, i was unable to contact my employers before attending a meeting at the Fiscals's office therefore i sent my father a text asking him to contact my previous manager, now assistant manager, to update her as to the situation. The next i heard was a voice mail from my manager to say how sorry he was that i would not be returning to the department, several days later after many phone calls i still did not recieve a satisfactory explanation i recieved a letter from my employers stating that due to evidence from my manager of less than a month and the phone call my father made on my behalf they had decided to terminate my employment immediatily. During one of the numerous telephone calls i made i found out that my non return to the company had been explained to my team before i had actually found out! Many friends have advised this cannot be legal and that i should seek legal advice, i would very much appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Options
    To terminate your employment without warning you've got to have done something pretty awful, usually theft, abuse of power, or gross professional misconduct.

It sounds like you've got a case for unfair dismissal.

One thing I don't quite understand, you had a meeting with the police which meant you had to miss some time at work, but you make it sound like you were away from work for several days?
  • Options
    The law in Scotland is different to England so I don't really know what your rights are, but it is highly unlikely that this is legal and you should seek immediate legal advice for unfair dismissal.

In England the cut-off is three months to bring a claim to tribunal, and I doubt it will be much different in Scotland, so you should contact an employment law solicitor as soon as you can.
  • Options
    In total i had 3 meeting at the Procurator Fiscals, after these meeting i sank into very deep depression which resulted in my self harming hence was off work for several days.
  • Options
    officially what was the actual reason given to terminate your employment by your employer?
  • Options
    Officially the letter states a decision was based on information given by my line manager and evidence gather from a from call from my father, this call was to inform them i was at the Procurator Fiscals and to explain why. As advised by several legal websites i requested full details explaining why my employment was terminated and also requested a hard copy of the employee handbook - both requests were denied.
  • Options
    It sounds like you should be bringing a claim under the various acts protecting disabled workers. Get a good solicitor instructed ASAP and get the cunts dragged to tribunal.

I know in England you'd basically be writing your own cheque, but I don't know Scottish law, although I don't believe its too different in this case.
  • Options
    Does the letter give a reason, or just 'information'.