Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Life's Achievements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, what's it all about then eh, this thing we call "life".

If you could define it in one paragraph/sentence/word, when you arrive at the Pearly Gates, how you would show that you had really "achieved" something in your life?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That requires thinking...arg.

:razz:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I believe you can say that someone has done good in his/her life if they've had children and/or have done something great for others. Either that is discovering something great, or just helping lots of others and making a difference.

But that only makes someone's existence important to the rest of humanity. The question I've not been able to answer is "What good does humanity do to the planet?" All I can see is that we've done mostly bad things, and that the planet would be much better off if we didn't exist. So, you might say that living is inexcusable if you're a human.
    That requires thinking...arg.

:razz:

Which is why I didn't post it yesterday ;)
    I feel my life is very pointless at the moment. I cost the tax payer loads but give nothing back to society.
    Which is why I didn't post it yesterday ;)

There should be other reasons for not posting yesterday..

/coming from me who stayed in all day :razz:
    I've made people happy and I've kept people from giving up on life completely.

I'm a demon in the sack too. I hope St Peter takes a note of that :o
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Edited my reply above, thought it better.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I feel my life is very pointless at the moment. I cost the tax payer loads but give nothing back to society.

Bollocks, we'd still pay as much if you, as an individual, were gone. It's the collective effect the society has which determines the tax rate, including the bloody Gov't. :p And nobody should complain, in Sweden the tax lies around 50% for the upper class. zomg i say.
    I once told the front desk at the gym the truck I parked next to left their lights on... without me their battery might have died and they would have had to find a possibly random person to jumpstart their car and maybe they were shy and that could have been a difficult situation.
    Basically, I've had fun and tried my best to be a good and considerate person. Things like getting a degree or having a big house are pretty superficial imo.

If you could define it in one paragraph/sentence/word, when you arrive at the Pearly Gates, how you would show that you had really "achieved" something in your life?

Sounds gooey but I suppose when I die I'd have liked to have had a family and I think having friends/family that care for you is an achievement. (end/gayness)
    I don't believe the true answer to this question can be answered until the time we are on our death beds reflectin gupon our lives with family and only then will we say what our lifes achievement was, the one ture thing that stood out in our life.

As it is just now, at this point in time however, I am happy to say that i have lived my life putting others happiness before mine, making people laugh and being a great friend, I've gone out and worked contributed to society [for what thats worth anyway!] I've helped people and hopefully put a smile on many a strangers face and made there day whilst shopping.

and long may it continue
    I remember a quotey type thing that I alway liked along these lines:

A hundred years from now
    It will not matter
    What my bank account was,
    The sort of house I lived in
    Or the kind of car I drove

But the world may be different
    Because I was important
    In the life of a child

I like to think that I might have been important in the life of a child or two. I've taken spoilt brats and deprieved kids on camp ( and it's taught both groups a lot, albeit very different things), taught quite a lot that water and the sea is a powerful force of nature that can also be a lot of fun and should be respected and enjoyed, and possibly the highlight of it all was taking a hemiplegic girl out on the water with her friends in a boat where she could join in just like the rest of them. I don't think I'll ever forget her grin.
    I’ve not really achieved anything to be honest, I sort of just potter along and take stuff as it comes. I piss about too much and my lack of get up and go is something I don't like about myself.

I’d like to do something life-changing or something worthwhile, but I can never be arsed. So long as I've got a pint of cider in my hand, and a nice girl comes along every couple of months and Aberdeen win on a Saturday then everythings fine.

That worries me a bit, reading it back.
    I often feel like i've not achieved anything at all because i've not done anything big for the greater good of humanity like discovering a cure for cancer or a better way of farming.

But aside from getting a BA and an MSc, buying a house (in london which is a pretty major achivement), going travelling and getting married I've not done anything special and I consider all of these to be selfish and not helping anyone other than me.

However I have worked for 8 years in international development with some of the most marginalised people in the world given up; every friday night for 5 years to do guides, tried to be a good granddaughter and friend.

That doesn't mean i've not done loads and loads of bad things as well though - arrghghg....

Life is is first breath you take in the morning.

I don't think I'll achieve much in life, but I don't think I'l fail too much either. Maybe one day I'll have another relationship, get a job, get my own flat but I don't expect much from myself tbh.

I guess at least I could say Ive worked very hard.
    I guess I should answer my own question but it's been interesting to read your take.

For me you have achieved something worthy if you reach your potential. There is little worst that to see someone who could be so much, achieve so little.

Yes making a difference is worthy and I love Scary's "poem" but making a difference can also be something negative. Saddam "made a difference" ;)

We only have one chance at this and we all start out with potential. Some more so than others - class is relevant here, for example - but if we don't even achieve that, or strive to achieve that, then I believe we have failed.

For example, I finished school with 4 o' levels. I didn't apply myslef and I deeply regret that. However, I have recognised that since and I know that I could have gone onto university etc. Now I work hard to get myself to that level so that I don't feel like I have completely wasted the opportunity which "life" gave me to make something of myself...