Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Losing train tickets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm supposed to be travelling from cardiff to newcastle tomorrow but i've lost my train tickets :eek:

Is there any way I can get on the train without them? I booked online so I have to confirmation and journey details etc. If I can't it's £90 for a ticket :nervous:

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its very unlikely.

Did you pick up from the station (Fastticket machine etc) or did you get them posted?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Posted

Aarghhhh :(
    The only hope you have is ringing the people you booked the tickets through, and (lying) telling them you haven't recieved the tickets.

They can normally arrange a local reprint of the tickets at your starting station.
    I'm with JsT, you'll probably have to claim you never received them.
    What do they do if you say you haven't got them? Do they just give you new ones?
    You need to explicitly state they have not arrvied. Ask to speak to a supervisor if they try to bullshit you.

They can arrange for the ticket office at the origin station to be able to print a copy of your tickets for you to use for your journey.
    Ok, do they ask me lots of questions or do an investigation to why the tickets didn't arrive or anything like that? :nervous:
    Dunno. I've nevr been dumb enough to lose train tickets before :p

I cant imagine they would do a big investigation to be honest.

Either way I'd hurry because I doubt the phone lines for most of them will be open too late! :)
    I've already rang and they're not open new years day :banghead:

Gah and they don't open until 9 tomorrow and my train is at 9.25
    I assume you are on advanced purchase tickets?

If so the only hope is you ring them bang on 9am from the station - the process is relatively instant they only require a reference number in order for them to be printed from the National Rail database.

Are you 100% sure you've looked everywhere? :)
    I don't understand - I've looked everywhere 3 times! I had an envelope and I thought my tickets were in there but they wern't!

Should I go down the train station early incase its hassle getting them? I bought the tickets ages ago. So its just a case of ring up the helpline, tell them the number and collect them? Eek I'm worried incase they don't believe me :nervous:
    Its worth a go trying before 9am. They do need the reference number normally in order to be able to print the tickets - it may be worth asking in case they don't need to. If they don't believe you etc you have no choice but to buy another ticket and try and claim a refund on them by writing to them.

The cheapest walk-up ticket tommorow is £89. You can get it for £79 - but you have to do three seperate tickets - Cardiff to Manchester, Manchester to York and York to Newcastle, probably a lost of hassle though for the sake of ten quid.
    Alternatively if you have a passport photo and birth certificate with you - you can buy a young person railcard for £20 which you can use for a year, it reduces the £80 fare to £58 so you save a small amount overall plus have the benefit of 1/3 off all railfares for a year.

Other than that try travelling on advanced purchase tickets on Wednesday - cheapest that way is around £55 via London.

Good luck :)
    Thanks for your help :) I already have a railcard. Fingers crossed!!
    i live in cardiff and i got the train to bristol a few weeks ago - (booked online and wasnt able to print out my details)

what i did was copy out the 'reference' number (or whatever its called!!) on the booking reference, and then once i entered the main station doors, i went to this machine thing on the right and entered my code in - once i did that it automatically printed out the tickets!!

.. i only went there a few weeks ago so im guessing the machine things are still in the same place!! basically opposite the manual booking desks (theres one next to them too!)

hope that helps!! if not then im sorry!! worked for me anyway! :)
    If you've had them posted then you can't get duplicates at a FastTicket machine, in the same way that you can only print them from the machine once.
    I rang up and said my tickets hadn't come and all was well :D YAY. Thank you JsT
    Wahoo!

Don't lose them again!! :p