Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was waiting for a train today and there was an enclosed waiting room, it was pretty large and sealed from the elements on all side and at one end was two people smoking even though there was no smoking signs up everywhere.

I couldn't really smell the smoke from the far end but was quite surprised when you got to there side of the room how strong the smoke was from just two people smoking.

There were kids at the far end and don't think any of us were really affected too much by the smoke simply because the room was so large BUT had it been a much smaller room then I think as a parent I'd have got pretty mad if my kids had to breath in their smoke.
    Has anyone else found that even when there are no smoking signs up, people will still smoke? 2 days a week, I have to walk near the entrance of the main hospital in Plymouth. There's a big sign up saying that you've just entered a no smoking site, yet there are still people who will smoke there. (and you can't miss the sign either)
    Sofie wrote:
    Has anyone else found that even when there are no smoking signs up, people will still smoke? 2 days a week, I have to walk near the entrance of the main hospital in Plymouth. There's a big sign up saying that you've just entered a no smoking site, yet there are still people who will smoke there. (and you can't miss the sign either)
    Like on a bus. I had someone light up next to me.
    HIT wrote:
    Like on a bus. I had someone light up next to me.

I've never had this. But the buses I tend to ctach are full of school kids anyway.
    I once lit a fag up at work and Subway by pure force of habit!
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I once lit a fag up at work and Subway by pure force of habit!

In Holland they have ash trays in KFC's :D
    Sofie wrote:
    I've never had this. But the buses I tend to ctach are full of school kids anyway.
    There usually the worse. :D
    pill 'ed wrote:
    In Holland they have ash trays in KFC's :D
    They serve lager in some Maccy Ds :)
    VinylVicky wrote:
    They serve lager in some Maccy Ds :)

Slightly off topic, but did you see those wierd fast food places in Amsterdam where all the vegeterian stuff and some off the meat stuff were in these little glass boxes near the door and you put money in and the box opened up presenting you with your burger?
    We were tripping and trying to figure out what the hell we were supposed to do lol.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but did you see those wierd fast food places in Amsterdam where all the vegeterian stuff and some off the meat stuff were in these little glass boxes near the door and you put money in and the box opened up presenting you with your burger?
    We were tripping and trying to figure out what the hell we were supposed to do lol.
    Ah no I missed them! Loved all the Tokoways and the like though!
    When the smoking ban comes in smokers will be inconvenienced if they want to go to the pub because they'll have to smoke outside and can't enjoy a fag with their drink

Without the smoking ban non-smokers will be/are being physically harmed if they want to go to the pub (physical harm meaning as little as a tickly throat to lung cancer if you work in a pub 50 years of your life)

I was a smoker since I was 15 until I was 20. I still have the odd one now if I'm drunk and forget I don't smoke, although I ususally get halfway through and remember how gross it is

Another thing to remember is that smokers are desentasized to the bad effects of smoking. As a smoker the smell didn't bother me, I couldn't smell smoke on my clothes and I didn't really get a bad throat or a cough. Now I don't smoke its the opposite

I work in a bar so I'll be glad when the ban comes in because it means I never have to wash a stinking ashtray again (worst job in the world, especially when you empty it in the bin and it all poofs up in your face). Although where all the customers will put their chewing gum now only time will tell :chin:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's not so inconvenient having to go outside when your in a pub, but it's going to be shit for clubs.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    It's not so inconvenient having to go outside when your in a pub, but it's going to be shit for clubs.

Espescially when you've just come up and are craving a fag!
    Skive wrote:

pill 'ed wrote:
    Espescially when you've just come up and are craving a fag!
    :yes:
    In Ireland my friend said they have like a room in clubs with heaters and no ceiling where you can smoke so it wasn't really inconvenient at all

Although my point still stands. Its inconvenience for the smokers but its unwanted health problems for the non-smokers. I think its more important to protect people's health than to stop people being inconveniencd by either haveing to wait to have a fag or having to go somewhere else to smoke it
    I'm glad about the ban. I have pretty sensitive eyes and coming into a pub in winter might result in antagonized eyes, teary and unable to open them because it hurts so much. Not to speak of feeling kind of hungover, even without drinking, and that every piece of cloth, your skin and your hair smell like you rubbed them in the ashes after a bonfire.

Yeah, it's kind of discriminating towards smokers, but I'd favor a solution where smokers can smoke and enjoy their cigarette without disturbing non-smokers with that. It's not about a "high horse", it's about being more considerate with people around you.
    Is Austria banning smoking in cafes/restaurants/bars? When I was in Vienna it seemed as if you could smoke anywhere.
    Is Austria banning smoking in cafes/restaurants/bars? When I was in Vienna it seemed as if you could smoke anywhere.

Not yet, but it's in discussion. It's already prohibited in public facilities, like university, offices, underground stations and the such. The planning isn't as sophisticated as it is in london, but it's in progress.
    Smoking has been banned from my workplace from today :(

Not even allowed to smoke in my car in the car park.
    LacyMay wrote:

Indefensible, absurd and completely unreasonable. I wouldn't blame anybody who ignores it and lights up in their car.
    Indefensible, absurd and completely unreasonable. I wouldn't blame anybody who ignores it and lights up in their car.

I know. But because i'm not allowed to smoke in the car park, technically i can't in my car either. If it's parked in there that is.
    LacyMay wrote:

As much as I hate smoking, I think this is taking it a little too far. And I think this is what they've said to nurses as well or something.
    LacyMay wrote:

Assuming you don't work for the NHS, can I remind you all that smoking is now banned on all NHS property - even if you are in your car.
    Assuming you don't work for the NHS, can I remind you all that smoking is now banned on all NHS property - even if you are in your car.

Thankfully no i don't :p
    LacyMay wrote:
    Thankfully no i don't :p

Just think. I could employ you as my PA.

You could sit on my knee and take some dic...

Yeah but they still smoke out the front of my mums hospital, off the property, but right in front of the 'no smoking sign' :rolleyes:
    LacyMay wrote:

Your giving up today anyway. :p
    Yeah but they still smoke out the front of my mums hospital, off the property, but right in front of the 'no smoking sign' :rolleyes:

So what?

People who moan about others smoking outside in the open air need to get a life.
    So what?

People who moan about others smoking outside in the open air need to get a life.
    I agree with this, atleast there not polluting the air of others in an inside environment. Outside in the open fresh air do what they want.