Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why do you find it funny? it's only TEH INTERNET.

ditto to that chortle.
    don't call yourself
    it
    :p
    I didnt think you'd be so brutal as to think of me that way!
    Anyway guys, back on topic....the smoking ban...
    Rachael wrote:
    I didnt think you'd be so brutal as to think of me that way!
    I didn't, you thought it!
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Anyway guys, back on topic....the smoking ban...
    hit back one page and my view is there
    I dunno, I probably said this before, like 16 pages back or so.. But to me it seems pointless to demonise something that is pefectly legal. In comparison with car fumes, as a pedestrian I'm having to breathe in plenty of car fumes.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    hit back one page and my view is there

Lol yeah I saw it and I completely agree, just trying to end any hostilities :)
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Lol yeah I saw it and I completely agree, just trying to end any hostilities :)
    aw sowwy if i fwightended you
    VinylVicky wrote:
    aw sowwy if i fwightended you

Well ok....but don't do it again, I've got to try and get some sleep tonight!
    Rachael wrote:
    In comparison with car fumes, as a pedestrian I'm having to breathe in plenty of car fumes.

Very good point, never thought of it like that before
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Very good point, never thought of it like that before

Ha, not my point unfortunately. Someone mentioned it a few pages back I think.
    i smoke and i think smoking is cool. i lov eit

why should it be banned? people have the choice whether or not to walk into a pub and have a pint. if they don't like smokin, why go in??? they know people are gonna be having a smoke.

its legal so why ban where you can smoke them?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    VinylVicky wrote:
    outside now!!!!!!
    oh yeah ;)
    Rachael wrote:
    Don't go all patronising on my arse. Yerawotsit was in my highly over sensitive opinion pointlessly rude. End of. It's not my fault if you have a shit sense of humour.

Damn yerascrote. Rotten ba. :D
    yeah thats it, yeroscrote
    Rachael wrote:
    yeah thats it, yeroscrote

Euroscrote. Me confuddled. :confused:
    oopsy!
    Rachael wrote:
    I dunno, I probably said this before, like 16 pages back or so.. But to me it seems pointless to demonise something that is pefectly legal. In comparison with car fumes, as a pedestrian I'm having to breathe in plenty of car fumes.

Cars serve a purpose. Cigarettes don't, apart from giving the government lots of money through tax.
    why should it be banned? people have the choice whether or not to walk into a pub and have a pint. if they don't like smokin, why go in??? they know people are gonna be having a smoke.

Here we go again. Why should I have to stop going to the pub in order not to stink of cigarettes or breathe your dirty habit in?
    That's questionable. People have survived without cars in the past. Wouldnt it be healthier and encourage everyone to walk?
    Rachael wrote:
    That's questionable. People have survived without cars in the past. Wouldnt it be healthier and encourage everyone to walk?

You mean you'd be alright walking home at night in the dark? I certainly wouldn't.
    Sofie wrote:
    You mean you'd be alright walking home at night in the dark? I certainly wouldn't.

Well, I'd feel a lot safer on the roads. People managed in the past. My point is I don't think a car is a necessity. Same as you dont think cigerettes are a necessity but to some people, because of the addiction they are. People make a choice to smoke and whilst it's perfectly legal I dont believe that smokers should be demonised and I think they have just as much as a right to be catered for as non smokers.
    Sofie wrote:

Yeh a big cigarette might chase you and force you to smoke it.
    Sofie wrote:

Here we go again. Why should I have to stop going to the pub in order not to stink of cigarettes or breathe your dirty habit in?

And why should we stop having a fag with our pint, as people have been doing for years just because you don't like it?

There are arguments both ways
    pill 'ed wrote:
    And why should we stop having a fag with our pint, as people have been doing for years just because you don't like it?

There are arguments both ways
    Yes, but that question actually has an answer. Because the majority of the scientific community agree that smoking in the presence of others can harm them as well as you, which include other people in the pub, and the staff. It's like saying "why shouldn't I feed my baby cows milk, when people have been doing it for years?" Because medical research shows that it's dangerous, that's why.
    Rachael wrote:
    My point is I don't think a car is a necessity.

You live in kent and don't think a car is a necessity? :shocking:

Surely can't be east kent then ;)
    People make a choice to smoke and whilst it's perfectly legal I dont believe that smokers should be demonised and I think they have just as much as a right to be catered for as non smokers.

But what about when that "right" infringes on anothers "right" to breath "clean" air? Whose right is more important, the right of someone who ingest noxious fumes (whilst inflicting them on anyone in their vacinity) or the right of someone to have their health safeguarded?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why shouldn't we use DDT when we've been doing it for so many years?

Why shouldn't we live near nuclear power plants when we've been doing it for so many years?

Why shouldn't we cut off an infected limb when we've been doing it for so many years?

Why shouldn't we beat up blacks/gays/women when we've been doing it for so meany years?
    i smoke and i think smoking is cool. i lov eit

its legal so why ban where you can smoke them?
    Oh your right, I guess the govermant based on the point that you love it, should reconsider the ban. After all it doesn't matter that the small percentage that do smoke are polluting the air with chemical clouds for the large percentage that dont.

You think smoking is cool, but maybe for a non-smoker next to you that suffers from asthma dont think its so cool that there health is being put a risk for the sake of you want to look good.
    Yerascrote wrote:

:D :thumb:
    Sofie wrote:
    Cars serve a purpose. Cigarettes don't, apart from giving the government lots of money through tax.

Does chocolate have a purpose? We can live without chocolate. What about luxury cars? Doesn't a Fiesta do the same basic job of getting you from A to B as a Ferrari? We can live without luxury cars surely. Does alcohol 'serve a purpose'? How do you define this purpose of yours?

The fact is millions of people all over the world enjoy smoking. Millions enjoy lighting up with a drink. If you do not think enjoyment can be a purpose you must be a very sad person.
    Millions enjoy lighting up with a drink. If you do not think enjoyment can be a purpose you must be a very sad person.
    Fair enough, but not when its at other peoples expense.
    Yerascrote wrote:

:lol: Didn't mean that, but walking in the dark isn't somethign I personally like doing.