Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Saddam executed

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh come on, i bet you all want a peep really :razz:
    Think I'm gonna have to fight off the urge to see someone hang and stick to watching re-runs of family guy on youtube tbh! :D
    :crazyeyes

Why on earth would you want to see someone die?

Exactly. I just dont see the fasincation either.
    It was bad enough seeing Pauline Fowler die over Christmas!
    Exactly. I just dont see the fasincation either.
    its not a "fascination" its a curiosity. i reckon an awful lot of people are quite curious to see these things.. thats why so many of these videos get passed around.
    I wouldn't really seek it out, but if somebody gave me a link I'd probably have a look. Although he was getting his head breadknived then I'd pass :no:

There's probably some sick fuckers out there who actually get off on watching people getting executed. Having a wank over it with a tangerine in their mouth or something :nervous:
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah I saw that online aswell. Really shocking.
    It was the screaming that got me, actually hearing a man screaming out in pain while his head was being cut off, you could hear his vocal chords being cut as he was screaming too...really quite disturbing.
    see I don't know how people can continue to watch that shit. I turned it off almost instantly
    pill 'ed wrote:
    It was the screaming that got me, actually hearing a man screaming out in pain while his head was being cut off, you could hear his vocal chords being cut as he was screaming too...really quite disturbing.

apparently, on one they superimposed pig noises.

I'd say its curiosity that makes you want to look as well, hell after hearing he was dead I was looking on ogrish but couldn't see anything cause my flash don't work.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Although he was getting his head breadknived then I'd pass :no:

That's pretty much it. They don't do it in a single clean swipe you know - mucho suffering before death occurs...
    I wouldn't want to watch the video. Out of curiosity I watched one of the beheadings a couple of years ago - Nick Berg, I think. It made me sick to the core.

Maybe Saddam deserved to be hung, maybe he didn't. Either way, I have little interest in watching it.
    legend has it that the berg video was fake , that the U.S did it, but then thats if you believe in conspiricy theories. (bergs really dead so it can't be fake then)

anyway, the saddam videos probably pretty tame compared to these.
    Not keen on watching anybody being hung, I'm not fussed about saddam really.

What I do enjoy seeing, is people who are being horrible who end up twatting themselves or some such. There was one where a kid was leaning out a moving car to throw something at another kid, and lo and behold, the stupid (other kid) who was driving scraped the car alongside another one.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Bad move tbh...

he didn't deserve it
    unfair trial
    and look at hte mess it has made...
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

:confused:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Bad move tbh...

he didn't deserve it
    unfair trial

Well, all three of those are purely subjective. Whether he deserved it; was he responsible for the deaths of thousands? Yes. Should this be punishable by death? Who can say.

Was it a fair trial? What constitutes fair?

And maybe the mess it has 'created' is just the end of the big mess that was created when he first came to power, and this, as GWB says, is a step on the way to rebuilding a country.

My opinion, is I'm anti-capital punishment, so can't condone it in any way, shape or form.
    :confused:

Referring to car bombings and further political instability across Iraq.
    My opinion, is I'm anti-capital punishment, so can't condone it in any way, shape or form.
    Plus it's hardly progress from the Saddam era, is it?
    Referring to car bombings and further political instability across Iraq.

Which hasn't changed from yesterday...

His death won't change anything because the car bombings etc aren't about him
    Which hasn't changed from yesterday...

His death won't change anything because the car bombings etc aren't about him

Oh I know, I was simply saying what gerbil meant :). I think you'll find I replied to him with a post that questioned many of the points he made.
    I know, and my point was aimed at Gerbil, it's just that your quote was specific :p
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Ugh, I really didn't need those details! :sour:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

he didn't deserve it
    No I guess your right. So what does someone who murders thousands deserve? I think you should have worded that differently like "I dont approve of the death penalty", but he deserved whatever punishment that was handed out to him.
    You all think he deserved it, you all think he was a criminal....but how many of you also think Bush, Blair and all other leaders who sent their troops into Iraq deserve the same?

They all sent their troops into Iraq and justified it by lying to the world...telling us there was a threat of WMD and later announced they were wrong, but they only confirmed this after thousands of lives were lost, children left without parents, SO left to deal with the loss of the life of someone they love....are Western leaders any different?

Have you ever stopped to ask yourselves why Saddam was only tried for a mere 150 lives? Why the international warcrimes committee did not try him for some hundreds of thousands of lives that were shattered and destroyed as well?

He was to the USA a pawn, one they used to their advantage and when his time came was shifted out of the way by a warcrime court.

The man kept his country in order, he did what was needed to keep the "peace" in Iraq, since his fall over 3 years ago, i have seen nothing but deterioration in a country which was once seen as a stable fast developing country.

This is only my view of what has happened, based in a large way on documentaries i have seen and books i have read. Please do not think this is just an innocent uneducated account of what i believe.
    The video has been leaked. We got linked to it last night.
    I watched it out of curiosity (as did Graeme and my mum and dad). It didn't look faked so I'm thinking it was the real deal and it wasn't exactly gory. A bit shocking as you actually see him drop and there's a close up of his head at the end, but I've definately seen worse.
    Amira wrote:
    The man kept his country in order, he did what was needed to keep the "peace" in Iraq, since his fall over 3 years ago, i have seen nothing but deterioration in a country which was once seen as a stable fast developing country.

This is only my view of what has happened, based in a large way on documentaries i have seen and books i have read. Please do not think this is just an innocent uneducated account of what i believe.

Well you may have watched some documentaries but your argument still shows great ignorance. To call it a stable fast developing country and potraying Saddam a leader doing what he could to make the country a better place is way off the mark. With its vast oil supplies, Iraq should have been one of the richest countries in the world, instead the majority were living in great poverty, people were not allowed any free speech and people were regularly tortured and killed. Whilst this was happening Saddam lived lavishly in huge palaces built on the wealth he had extracted from the country whilst giving his people none of it.

This is not my idea of a stable and fast developing country but one left back in the dark ages ruled by a tyrant. Iraq has deteriorated into anarchy, and you can point part of the blame at Bush and Blair for having no action plan in place. However, the blame mainly lies with the extremists in Iraq who have no respect for free speech or democracy, and are intolerant of people with even slightly differing religious views. Much of Iraq's muslim community have deep hatred for other parts of that community, because they are shiite and not shia or visa versa. These extremists have destroyed Iraq, not Bush or Blair. I find it extremely worrying that a large amount of people in many Arab countries share this mindset of intolerance and contempt for democracy.

Back to the original point, Saddam was not leading the country as well as you seem to portray it, and it is a good thing that he is gone for good.
    Amira wrote:
    You all think he deserved it, you all think he was a criminal....but how many of you also think Bush, Blair and all other leaders who sent their troops into Iraq deserve the same?

Several actually. Although as most around here don't hold with the death penalty anyway...
    Have you ever stopped to ask yourselves why Saddam was only tried for a mere 150 lives?

Because he was executed before the other cases came to trial?
    He was to the USA a pawn, one they used to their advantage and when his time came was shifted out of the way by a warcrime court.

As opposed to the way that Arab nations use the Palestine cause to whip up support, and yet treat Paelstinians like shite in their own country...
    The man kept his country in order, he did what was needed to keep the "peace" in Iraq

Yes, he killed anyone who disagreed with him. If you think that is "in order" then bigger fool you.
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    The video has been leaked. We got linked to it last night.
    I watched it out of curiosity (as did Graeme and my mum and dad). It didn't look faked so I'm thinking it was the real deal and it wasn't exactly gory. A bit shocking as you actually see him drop and there's a close up of his head at the end, but I've definately seen worse.
    I saw one video, it showed him being dropped, but obviously it was a member of the public recording it because people kept standing in front of the camera. There is another but I cant watch it because I haven't a you-tube account.
    DJHyde, no I am not talking about recent times when there were UN sanctions and embargoes against Iraq. I am talking about the times before the first Gulf war when Iraq was amoungst the leading oil producing nations. When USA were on good terms with Iraq and chose to deal with them. Before the time when most Arab countries were barely formed and were nothing more than villages and small towns.

There was once a time when Iraq was like the UAE of the Middle East, people tend to forget the not so distant past when Iraq was under Saddams rule and yet was prospering.

As you can see, democracy in such an unstable environment like Iraq is not going to work. While the country was under the "iron fist" of Saddam, yes people were scared shitless, but the country was not experiencing anywhere near any of the problems we see on tv everyday. I will stand by my notion that the western invation of Iraq was not a good idea and was probably just part of some sort of master plan. First Afghanistan, Iraq and now it looks like Iran.

But I guess each to his own, we are all entitled to our own views.

Quote:
    As opposed to the way that Arab nations use the Palestine cause to whip up support, and yet treat Paelstinians like shite in their own country...

MOK, Actually Palestinians are being welcomed into many Middle Eastern countries (UAE, KSA, Jordan, Lebanon to name the countries I am sure about) and given passports, citizenship, jobs, healthcare, homes and more. We Arabs don't use "the Palestine cause" to get support and treat them like shit, people donate money on a monthly basis to support orphaned children, they bring them into their own country and try to give them a decent life. We use "the Palestine cause" to gain support and try to give them what is rightfully theirs, land they have lived on their entire lives, land their fathers and fore-fathers for generations have lived and gained a living from.

Not many people enjoy their country being given away to people who don't have any right to it as part of a war funding agreement.
    Amira wrote:
    MOK, Actually Palestinians are being welcomed into many Middle Eastern countries (UAE, KSA, Jordan, Lebanon to name the countries I am sure about) and given passports, citizenship, jobs, healthcare, homes and more.

Really?

Are you sure?

Still confident?

It's not great, is it?
    Seen the video, nothing exciting, I won't post a link due to.. well peoples views it wouldn't be nice but if anyone really wants to see it I can suply a link, if ya really want.