Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

morning after pill and the pill..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm majorly confused.

last Friday night I started my period, a few days earlier than expected but it was on off all the time and I wasn't entirely sure if it was my period or just spotting and stuff? Needless to say Saturday night me and my guy got a bit carried away.. needed the morning after pill on the Sunday. I stopped taking my contraceptive pill on the Friday night too, so was on my 7day free break. The doctor told me to start retaking my pill on the Monday. But I'm not sure why? I had so much info to take in, I was just like :eek2:

So a week later, am still bleeding exactly the same as I was. I dunno am just proper confused with this taking the MAP, and then retaking my pill the next day.

Surely thats gonna completey mess up taking my pill at the correct times? Cos I only had a 2day free break from it.

Haha, I'm talking a load of crap but it's seriously confusing me. I mean, cos I'm taking the pill earlier than I should be, am I still protected or what?

Meh, appreciate anyone who can help - If you've managed to read all that junk!

Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think i would be a bit :eek2: too. Maybe ring the NHS help line and they could explain to you if they deal with that kinda thing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The MAP screws with the way your regular pill works.

Restarting your regular pill sooner was an extra precaution and was trying to do your body a favour.

Let me get this straight, you finished your regular pill and started bleeding last Friday, had unprotected sex on Saturday, took the morning after pill on Sunday and went back on the regular pill on Monday, and are still bleeding, which means you've now been bleeding for just over a week.
    Can I continue to use regular contraceptive pills or the patch after the emergency pill?
    Yes. If you needed emergency contraception because you forgot some of your regular pills or did not use the patch correctly, you should take a contraceptive pill again, or apply a new patch within 12 hours of taking the emergency pill. You will need to use an additional contraceptive method, such as condoms, for:

seven days with the patch and the combined pill
    two days with the progestogen-only pill.

Hope that helps.