Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fashion Trends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Brown's the new black, sling backs are back, lips this season will be a firey peach with eyes to match.

Who says so ?

Who are the people that make/set/say what the latest fashion will be. It's always amazed me that people will wear what someone else says is 'fashionable'.

Does it really matter that you're wearing last years winter coat today ?

Surely it should be all about wearing what styles and colours suit you and that you like.

Comments

• Options
    I'm wearing last winters clothes. I don't care because they suit me. My friends sometimes say I dress like a Laura Ashley mum, and then other days like a teenage emo. I don't really care. Eclectic is how I like it. I also don't care if I don't look 'individual'. After all, jeans and a top are jeans and a top!
  • Options
    I hate fashion snobbery.

I wear clothes that I like and that I think suit me, not because some magazine tells me I should or shouldnt be wearing it.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Brown's the new black, sling backs are back, lips this season will be a firey peach with eyes to match.

Who says so ?

Paris Vogue.

However, never believe that anything is "the new black" because it isn't :thumb:

I personally don't follow high street trends at all, I think they're dull as ditchwater and suit about 0.1% of the people who do follow them. I really enjoy watching the progress of high [and high-end] fashion which is really intruiging and beautiful at times, but it's just really for inspiration on my charity shop shopping sprees as I cannae afford those prices. Obviously what is genuinely thought of as "fashion" in the elite circles is very different to what we would think of as a "trend", and the former rarely even makes it to the high street (or does in a very watered down form). They are definitely trying to close that gap with V&R at H&M and Celia Birtwell etc at Topshop, which I think is an interesting change to the status quo.

I think that anyone who has a real interest in fashion and clothes - and I don't think there's a thing wrong with that, as I certainly do myself - is going to keep an eye on trends and the progression of styles, cuts, fabric and even on the old fashions that come around again. It doesn't necessarily mean wearing a copy of everything that was paraded down the catwalk during fashion week, it's more about developing your own style through the inspiration of some really fantastic designers. Anyone who doesn't care one jot about fashion is entitled to the opinion that people following fashions and amending their personal style are dafties, but I think they're wrong in a lot of cases.
  • Options
    Personally, I guess I'm out of fashion because my insperations come from Modernism and the 60's. However, I'd say I dress a hell of a lot sharper than most people who slavishly follow high-street 'fashion'. High street fashion is bollocks, mass produced unimaginative bollocks.. It's fashion houses or nothing, my favs. being D&G and Prada. Miuccia is a god amongst designers.

But in answer to your question, I'd say it's tricky. Many designers will take their inspiration from the fashionistas, which are then spread by the media, and become fashionable. But at the same time you get pieces that are completely original and set a new standard or look.
  • Options
    I dont think it matters at all, but sometimes all you can actualy buy is the crappy stuff that they think is in fashion.
  • Options
    I took a step back from fashion a while back. Now i wear what i like and what makes me look different to everyone else (theres nothing worse to me than conformity to fashion). I couldn't care less if i'm the anti-fashion, i'm happy with what i wear.
  • Options
    well i love fashion. i love going into shops and seeing all the new pretty clothes and all the lovely colours and so many accessories and shoes... why shouldn't someone enjoy that? if you don't then fine, but it doesn't make someone a bad person for enjoying new clothes and putting outfits together. its a past-time just like any other. it also doesn't make me a fashion victim. i mean i would never wear something if i didn't like it.. for instance i won't wear ankle boots because i think they just don't suit me.
  • Options
    I'm still wearing last year's winter stuff.
  • Options
    I couldnt give a flying fig whether my clothes are in fashion or not.

I wear clothes that fit me well, flatter my shape, and colours that suit my hair and skintone.

I'd say that i scrub up quite well, ive never been laughed at anyway! and i get compliments from both men and women.

I find that most "in" things are hideous, like those ankle boots (seriously, wtf :yuck:), and legwarmers! haha! I cant believe that animal print is back aswell, ive always thought it looks tacky and cheap on everyone.

Hairstyles aswell, people will just go and get their hair cut into a fashionable style then wonder why it doesnt look good. I remember that bogbrush mullet haircut thing from a few years ago that girls were walking around with. Haha suckers!
  • Options
    sometimes it's not so much what you wear, it's how you wear it. no use in dressing up to the nines if you look like mutton dressed as lamb. if you're wearing something different or quirky you need to have the balls to pull it off. i don't really buy things that i'd think 'god i won't be wearing that next season!' - even if i do buy something that's only in fashion for a while, i'll still wear it again. for e.g. my faithful ugg boots! i live in them. :D
  • Options
    Fuck I never follow trends. I don't even know if there are any for fellas.

If I'm lazing about the house, I'll wear some tracksuit bottoms and a cheap top, if I'm heading out I'll throw a pair of jeans a shirt on. Simple as.
  • Options
    I just wear whatever, I bought into the stripey polo shirts trend of last summer but only because I liked them, not because it was a desperate attempt to seem fashionable.

I think everybody's made a few boo boos at some point though, I think back to my wooly wristband obession of 2003 and cringe :no:
  • Options
    I ignore fashion but may keep up with the odd thing like a hat or some earrings or the fashionable 'colour' of the moment. If you're not a model body most fashions don't suit you.
  • Options
    I enjoy seeing new fashions, however I usually don't think they are very realistic. I take what I like from a new trend and personalise it. Or if I buy a new dress which happens to be the one that keeps selling out, I'll buy something different to put with it. I don't like the idea of everyone looking the same... really doesn't appeal to me!

Great thing about accessories though, You can take a jumper from the past ten years and throw a trendy belt with it, and no-one will be none the wiser. :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Who says so ?
    Combination between the fashion designers, the media, celebrities and their stylists. I think celebrities are the main factor, and of course the designers fight hard to get their clothes worn by them for that reason.

I think there's a difference between knowing what's in fashion, and knowing what looks good on you. You might not give a shit about fashion, but know what looks good on you, and you'll always look good and get compliments. But when you get it the other way round, and have someone who knows all the latest fashions, but has no clue about what suits them, the results are always of footballers wife proportions.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

Who says so ?

Who are the people that make/set/say what the latest fashion will be. It's always amazed me that people will wear what someone else says is 'fashionable'.

Does it really matter that you're wearing last years winter coat today ?

Surely it should be all about wearing what styles and colours suit you and that you like.
    I wear clothes that suit me regardless of whoever says there in or not. I say whats in and whats not for the clothes I wear. :p
  • Options
    I never have followed the fashion, except when i was youner and went through the sweater shop jumper trend :o and i don't care or even know most the time whats in fashion.
    I don't have the money or want to follow trends.
  • Options
    I'm an avid fashion magazine reader. I buy Vogue and Marie Claire monthly. I enjoy knowing what the 'key look' is for each season, but I don't follow it. I don't have the money to change my wardrobe according to each season. That's why I love Vogue - they'll show you the classics, not the bits and bobs that will go in and out of fashion like waisted belts and flourescent coloured stilettos.

I like knowing celeb fashion, but not so I can copy it - more so I can laugh at their horrendous fashion disasters haha.

It's the high-end that I'm interested in mainly. Can't be doing with high street fashion.
  • Options
    I wear what I feel comfy in, highlights my best features etc, I'm not overally bovered in fashion tbh.
  • Options
    I like fashion but if it doesn't suit me I won't buy/wear it.
  • Options
    Fashion can be bought - style cannot.

Don't really give much of a shit. If I choose to wear a gold codpiece then so help me God no fashionista is going to tell me otherwise.
  • Options
    I like to read about Fashion, it's something I find interesting. Cant be arsed with Vogue, I love reading Style Magazine that comes with The Sunday Times. (Mostly for mrs mills on the back page). If I see something that happens to be trendy and I like it then yeah I'll buy it, same as if I see something that isn't considered trendy.
  • Options
    Don't really give much of a shit. If I choose to wear a gold codpiece then so help me God no fashionista is going to tell me otherwise.

Next thing you know, Burtons will be flogging them for £25.
  • Options
    My friend, the only place a discerning gentleman would get his codpiece from is Saville Row.
  • Options
    Fashion can be bought - style cannot.
    EXACTLY!
    I don't do fashion - I do style!

I'm at a point where I have to some extent (still place for mistakes though - I bet 10 years from now I'll look back and think "what the fuck") learnt what suits my body and what doesn't. Meaning I now know that I might be standing in front of the prettiest top the world has ever seen, but its cut will not do the top justice on my body.

Either way, nothing wrong with observing trends and following/copying them, its just the extent it's done to. It all mounds down to how you carry your clothes in the end, whether you look as if you own the outfit or the outfit owns you.