Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

People living alone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you cook proper food for yourself?
I never seem to bother, I like cooking but not just for myself, it seems to much hassle and also works out expensive buying fresh food for one person.

I'd like to start eating better in the new year, anyone got any tips?

I don't have an oven but I do have a microwave, hob, george foreman grill and a slow cooker (which I haven't used for years)

Often my dinner is just toast and some crisps, terrible I know!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I'm home alone I don't tend to cook that well (I normally end up living off salads and baked potatoes).

If you buy in bulk it works out cheaper. Each weekend do a job lot of stuff- chilli, bolognese sauce, stew- and put it in tupperware boxes. Then all you need to do is get the box out of the freezer in the morning, boil some rice or pasta, and warm the tea up in the microwave.
    Yeah cooking bulk lots and freezing it works out cheap but healthy.
    I don't live alone, I usually cook for the house. BUt when I did live alone or I'm cooking for myself I'll still make meals, probably not a full on roast but chilli, spaghetti, lamb chops and veg etc.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Do you cook proper food for yourself?
    :yes: i do.
    don't live 'alone' as such. i'm a student ~ which probably makes it even more unusual to cook proper food ;)
    I find it's a pain when you're a student. You have limited freezer space, so you can't really do the whole freeze it for later thing. I tended to cook at least one thing, but I'd usually have whatever it was with oven chips. Sometimes I had rice or vegetables or whatever, but it becomes a pain when you have to wash up four pans and a plate for a single meal. Much easier to just make a cold sandwich or microwave some soup when it came to lunch.
    If I am alone I will still cook a meal and then recycle it a few times if there is anything left. I tend to not like to throw stuff away so I experiment a lot.
    Still, gotta keep it healthy.

Making a mousakka tonight...:yum:
    I just eat ready made meals. Too much bother cooking and as IWS said, too much effort cleaning pots and pans. Fuck I'm a lazy student. :D
    I cook for myself and I still live at home.

You can cook chicken on George Foreman. Did it have a recipe book with it?
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I just eat ready made meals. Too much bother cooking and as IWS said, too much effort cleaning pots and pans. Fuck I'm a lazy student. :D

ready meals are generally more expensive than preparing a meal. :p

you don't necessarily have to do it from scratch - though it is cheaper making home made spag bol than it is to use the jar sauce.

and yes i cook for myself (i'm a student). i like doing stirfries with meat and veg, you could try that??
    I cook alot of homemade food now.

For example, when I make cottage pie, its far too big for one sitting so I leave the remainder in the fridge and eat it the next day. If I make a curry or chilli, I'll put the rest in a tub and freeze it.

Easy.
    The temptation is always there for me not to eat properly, and I do have lapses where I eat nothing but soup when I'm at home for a while, but I do generally eat proper food as I have a massive cooking session about once every 2 or 3 weeks then freeze individual portions so all I have to do is defrost and heat.
    rachie004 wrote:
    That doesn't cook as proper meals? :o
    Thought seconded.

Either way, living as a student in a house where everyone likes different stuff it more or less makes it as living alone when it comes to cooking.
    Due to not feeling well I try to stock up on veg and fruit, as it seriously makes a difference. But always have frozen pizzas, just in case I can't be assed to use more than 2 minutes in the kitchen.

If some of the vegetables are about to go off I make what my housemate calls a super-salad, basically put all the vegetables I have in, and add feta cheese and tuna and balsamic vinegar, and it tastes nice plus with a huge bowl it's enough to make you full. At the worst have some toast with it on the side.

And stir frieds, I love those! Put whatever vegetables are avaliable on a pan, and rice only takes like 10 minutes to cook, blend the two together with this soup powder I have to give a bit more taste. Top it up with sweet chili, and done. So easy, and always tastes nice.
    I cook proper meals for myself. Usually some kind of veggie thing like a kiev or veggie sausages and fresh veg. I have frozen pizzas or sandwiches when I can't be arsed. I used to eat pasta alot but don't tend to as much anymore.
    I do agree that it can cost alot, and I tend to use up veg really quick, but like other people have said, I make a load of fajitas or roasted veg or veggie chilli and then keep it in the fridge for the next couple of days.
    Hate it when vegetables are cooked. ;)
    They stink up the place, esp if someone likes sprouts!!!

Y'll should learn to use a veggie steamer or something...
    :D