Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

uni grant and loan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hmm i just started my first year at uni and i have a loan of 3,000 pounds for the university fee
which is 3,000 x 3 =9,000 this is my debt at the end of the 3 years
i also receive a 3,00 grant whichi dont have to repaywhich totals to 9,000

now i dont think im going to pass my first year i think i will fail, so i will re enrole again and start fresh, now i know this will mean
12k of debt, but what about the grant will i get another 3,000 for the extra year?

anybody had a similar problem
thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Will you be re-enrolled as a student doing the year again, or are you going to be taking a year out and taking the exams again? I'd contact your loan company as I wasn't entitled to a loan during that time.
  • Options
    You have just started and you have decided you are gonna fail the first year already?:yeees:
  • Options
    lol

well im not gonna quit im gonna see my results but i recken i will fail i have 4 exams in jan and i havent a clue what im doing, im gonna try hard revise every day but. if i fail when i get my results, ill go to the universirty and re enrole again
    i wont take a year out
  • Options
    hi

anyyy one please?
  • Options
    I think this might be one for your course director, places can really vary as far as students re-enrolling are concerned.
  • Options
    if you fail only so many exams but pass others you might not be able to re enroll as a full time student, as you might not be studying full time i.e. at least 100 credits per year, in which case you wouldn't be entitled to the same funding. you would need to check what your status would be if you do fail those exams for the following year, as part time students are only eligible to apply for minimal financial help.
  • Options
    Funding for 'extra' years is rather strange and very unpredictable. You'll need to speak to your course director and your LEA about it.

From what I can understand if you're doing the extra year for a good reason you'll get it funded, if you're not you won't. BUT what a good reason is is a little tricky to fathom.
  • Options
    hi

no im doing computing, and i think i will fail so i wont be able to carry onto then ext year, so i might just go for another course, or restart again
  • Options
    Yeah, by extra year I meant your retake year or the first year of your new course.

I'm getting an extra year funded because I had to drop out of this one through ill health, I know someone else who has had his retake year funded because he tried but stuff just didn't click in time for the exams and he struggled with the transitition to living away from home. Both our course directors recommended us to our LEAs as deserving the extra funding.

In your position I would be working my little socks off rather than thinking about retaking the year. Wait 'til you've failed now and failed your resits this year before worrying about anything else. In the meantime work work work!
  • Options
    k

hmm so they wont fund a retake year, what if i decided to do another course
  • Options
    They may well fund a retake year, but it's not definite.

They may well fund another course, but it's not definite.