Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Linux question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've tried EVERYWHERE to get help on this but nobody seems to know how to fix it so I'll try here.

My laptop has inbuilt wireless and uses a Broadcom chipset and seeing as Broadcom do not release chipset info it's hard to get drivers installed and working. I do have a USB dongle though, DWL-G122, this works great with Linux but it when trying to connect to the net my CPU load shoots up to 99% and ut's impossible to do anything. I ran TOP to see what was going on and it seems the IP command (used for TCP/IP interface configuration and routing) is the root cause but I dunno why. I tried installing IProute2 again but still no luck.

I'm not sure if it's because I am running a live distro (Mandriva One & Auditor) or what, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know much about wireless, so I can't really help. But I've read there is a way to use the windows drivers for wireless cards, it would be worth a shot.
    As for why the ip command loads the CPU to 99%, the only thing I can say is that it's very strange.
  • Options
    Have you tryed using another USB thing if you have one?

might be something to do with the Dongel it self it dont like Linux?
  • Options
    This dongle should work, other people use it. I will try windows drivers but I didn't really want to but I will see if it works,
  • Options
    ndiswrapper is what you need, as ingrid said it'll let you use the windows driver in nix. You may also want to try ubuntu over mandriva. i find it better
  • Options
    I'm no use on this, as I've never dabbled with wireless under Linux. My first suggestion would be to check the Mandriva forums, as they often use non-standard compilations under their distribution, and it could be a problem introduced by their particular configuration rather than an actual error. :)
  • Options
    Mandriva forums are pretty much useless and Ubuntu is based on Debian, don't like distro's based Debian, I prefer Redhat based where I can have RPMs :).
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Mandriva forums are pretty much useless and Ubuntu is based on Debian, don't like distro's based Debian, I prefer Redhat based where I can have RPMs :).

Psh, apt-get is far superior to rpm's.

"apt-get install firefox" and firefox is installed, etc

edit: p.s, ndiswrapper should still work under mandriva :P
  • Options
    Ahhh! ndiswrapper is telling me that the drivers I have for my dongle are not the right ones.