Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gone in 30 Days...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So the appeal failed then and Saddam is off to the gallow in the next 30 days.

Now I don't hold with the death penalty, it is wrong. Simple as.

However, I won't shed any tears and I have to say that with Pinochet and Hussein going in the space of a few weeks, things are looking up for the planet. Just Castro to go next...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The world will be a better place without Saddam on it. However it is still wrong to execute him. If he were to die of natural causes I'd be popping bottles of champagne open. But I can't celebrate the murder of someone. Even of someone like Saddam.

Little surprise that the US government is celebrating the rejection of the appeal. There's nothing Uncle Sam likes better than a good old execution.
    Aladdin wrote:
    But I can't celebrate the murder of someone. Even of someone like Saddam.

Except Richard Littlejohn? :lol:
    Aladdin wrote:
    He's a Grade-A cunt. He should be dropped in a vat of sulphuric acid and his remains sent into deep space so his filthy molecules don't pollute the Earth in any shape or form.
    Teagan wrote:
    Except Richard Littlejohn? :lol:

That's not murder. That's pest control. :p
    :lol: So true! :thumb:
    Six am news, the BBC said there's a chance that he could have already have been hanged at dawn.
    I was watching BBC Breakfast and they kept flashing up 'Saddam's effects have been passed to his lawyer' ???
    There is no hope for that country.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I was watching BBC Breakfast and they kept flashing up 'Saddam's effects have been passed to his lawyer' ???

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1979830,00.html

"A senior justice ministry official told Reuters that Saddam would not be executed until January 26 at the earliest, 30 days after the rejection of his appeal this week."
    I would LOVE to know what's going through his head right now. What do you think about when you know you only have a month or so to live?
    I would LOVE to know what's going through his head right now. What do you think about when you know you only have a month or so to live?
    Well it may only be 24hrs now. I guess hes feeling the same fear others did when they were executed by him. I couldn't imagine it tbh.

He's probably thinking that he'll be martyred.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The world will be a better place without Saddam on it. However it is still wrong to execute him. If he were to die of natural causes I'd be popping bottles of champagne open. But I can't celebrate the murder of someone. Even of someone like Saddam.

Little surprise that the US government is celebrating the rejection of the appeal. There's nothing Uncle Sam likes better than a good old execution.
    :yes: You can't accuse somebody of murder then murder yourself.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    He's probably thinking that he'll be martyred.

:yes:

Man lives in a fantasy world and doesn't realise that the adulation from those huge crowds in the past was because of fear. I don't dispute for a minute the claims that hundreds of Iraqis have applied to be his executioner.
    So the [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/However, I won't shed any tears and I have to say that with Pinochet and Hussein going in the space of a few weeks, things are looking up for the planet. Just Castro to go next...

And Mengistu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6175201.stm

Though given old Slobo met his maker 2006 was a bad year for despots http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4819158.stm
    Indeed. Piochet is allowed to go to his grave unpunished, but Saddam is made a martyr, against all sanity.
    Well, at least Pinochet will no longer be the New Guy at the special bastard pit in Hell.

I eagerly await Disillusioned's post "R.I.P"
    The only thing I don't get is why the fuck they didn't just drop a grenade down his hole.

Now he's gone with his head held high, with all the attention he adores, with the martyrdom that he wanted. That's why he didn't have a hood.

I'm not sad.
    I'm just sad that the first real action of the new "free" Iraq is to murder someone. Great sign of progress that is. Even if it is Saddam.
    Man lives in a fantasy world.

I agree.

(Well, he did before he was murdered).

BUT he wasn`t alone.
    Kermit wrote:
    The only thing I don't get is why the fuck they didn't just drop a grenade down his hole.

Now he's gone with his head held high, with all the attention he adores, with the martyrdom that he wanted. That's why he didn't have a hood.

I'm not sad.
    I heard he had to be dragged from his cell at first, I wouldnt call that martyrdom.
    Maybe only when his time was up did the fucker begin to comprehend the sanctity of human life.

No doubt those who cheer and congratualate the Iraqis for this execution will think differently when their own time is up and they lay on their deathbed.
    I don't cheer, any death is sad, but some deaths are sadder than others.

I don't think that the life of murderers and rapists is sacrosanct, and I'm not going to shed a single tear about this man going to his death.
    Nor will I, but executing him is still wrong and morally repugnant.

It is also counterproductive. As you as others have pointed out it's making a martyr out of him- and depriving him of a lifetime in a jail cell, which would have been a far worse punishment for him.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Nor will I, but executing him is still wrong and morally repugnant.

Now I don't, I just hope it hurt.

But it is counterproductive.
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is also counterproductive. As you as others have pointed out it's making a martyr out of him- and depriving him of a lifetime in a jail cell, which would have been a far worse punishment for him.
    Not to mention all the crimes that will now go unanswered.
    Not to mention all the crimes that will now go unanswered.

How could he answer for any, when he didn't think that what he did was wrong?

The bubbly will be open in the MoK household for the passing of dictators in 2006, here's looking forward to a great 2007 too.

Doesn't make the death penalty right though. If it is a crime against humanity to kill your own citizens then the PM of Iraq has just committed another act...
    How could he answer for any, when he didn't think that what he did was wrong?
    Because victims of crime and their families tend to like to see the criminal confronted with the crimes they've committed and tried for them.
    Because victims of crime and their families tend to like to see the criminal confronted with the crimes they've committed and tried for them.

Ah, the illusion of justice... ;)

They know he's guilty, we know he's guilty. Everything else that happened, or would have happened, was a charade. Like Kermit said, a grenade in the bunker would have been much more productive.