Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how to stop caring what people think.

I know that this has been done before so no need to direct me to other links.

When someone makes a comment about something. I get really brought down and I think too much about it.

how do you stop caring what other people think?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe try thinking of what their motive for saying shitty things is? Then use that to realise that it's more likely them with the problem than you.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    maybe try thinking of what their motive for saying shitty things is? Then use that to realise that it's more likely them with the problem than you.
    :yes:
    and constantly tell yourself you don't give a **** what other people think of you ~ it will sink in.
  • Options
    Its also when someone makes a comment on when I do somthing that I enjoy I feel funny for doing it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's a matter of realising (subconsciously as well as consciously) that no matter wht you do you'll never have everyone like you. But I can't really say how to bring about the subconscious part, it just came to me out of nowhere.
  • Options
    I just don't want people to not like me if i've done nothing wrong to them.
  • Options
    katralla and indrid are right - but i understand its hard to ignore it. live your life, and think bout it this way; if people who dont even know you properly dont like you/the things you do, then they shouldnt be so judgemental and its their problem!
  • Options
    I guess your right. :)
  • Options
    well, im glad u agree....but it wont be a change you can do overnight. it'll happen gradually, but one day someone will say something and you'll think to yourself "shut the fuck up, i dont care what you think"
  • Options
    I think though I can be too soft sometimes though, like some comments I take to heart when I really shouldn't.
  • Options
    Everyone cares what people think to some degree. You can't just say "I don't care what anyone thinks" and leave it at that. I care what people think. I care what my friends and family think. I care what employers think where it's appropriate. It's just a question of working out whether what they think is valid, and whether they are someone you should be listening to, or whose opinion you should be interested in.

So many people are quick to dismiss a friend who tells them how great they are, yet quick to analyse every little detail of a stranger telling them they are shit at something. And it's entirely because one is confirming what they already believe about themselves, whereas the other is going against how they feel.
  • Options
    sounds like your self esteem is low, like me! i, unfortunately, always find insults and negative comments easier to believe than compliments. But, im with stupid is right - care about the valid opinions of those who mean alot to you, not strangers who dont know you!
  • Options
    So many people are quick to dismiss a friend who tells them how great they are, yet quick to analyse every little detail of a stranger telling them they are shit at something. And it's entirely because one is confirming what they already believe about themselves, whereas the other is going against how they feel.

That is all true. I cant take compliments from anyone, no matter how much I know that they geuninely mean it. I also take critism really harshly.
    Its also when someone makes a comment on when I do somthing that I enjoy I feel funny for doing it.
    You really shouldnt be ashamed for doing something you enjoy, some people just might not like it or understand why you do something that makes you happy.
  • Options
    I am like that

I really worry about what people think of me.

sometimes I dont care but mostly, even if its strangers, I wonder what they think and it influnces my behaviour.

been that way since I was kid.
  • Options
    You can't just say "I don't care what anyone thinks" and leave it at that.
    :yeees: ... works for me ...
    people on the whole try to be people pleasing. the simple truth is you cannot please everyone, you can only do whats right by you. end of.
  • Options
    When death looks at you, smile back at it.

Apply that to your situation, and ergo...
  • Options
    when i know someone doesn't like me, i dont mind because i probably don't like them either, which means i dont respect their opinion anyway.

there are a quite a few personality categories that people become. some types dont like others. everyone admires and frowns on different things. so whatever somebody doesn't like, somebody somehwere else will.

you can't please everyone, and no one should try to.

you have to be confident and content in yourself to disregard other peoples opinions.
  • Options
    Well I take the attitude that if people don't like me the way I am, it's their problem, not mine.

But then I'm a bit of an arse sometimes...

The fact is, you'll never find yourself unless you live for yourself and not for the expectations of others.