Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gerald Ford

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.. has died.

Anyone tell me what he actually achieved in office?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone tell me what he actually achieved in office?

Not much good, but not much bad either.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Not much good, but not much bad either.

His one real act was to pardon Nixon. I'd say that was pretty bad.
    Apparently he also pardoned those who refused to go to Vietnam.

But that's about the only remarkable thing he did.

To give Nixon a pardon takes some fucking cheek and contempt for the country you're serving.
    His one real act was to pardon Nixon. I'd say that was pretty bad.

Bad how? Did it kill anyone?

They way I see it, was a decision he made based on a risk assessment. Not to pardon Nixon and see a backlash in his own party, I know party continuity is a major issue in the GOP, or excuse him and get a backlash from the America as a whole. Unfortunately, it was a bad move. Ah well, no one will remember him in 50 years so I don't care.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford.

R.I.P.

Never studied Ford in depth but it does seem that he restored faith in the US presidency after Nixon. Although, tbh I've always thought Nixon was a pretty good president.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Bad how? Did it kill anyone?

Are the only bad things in life, those which kill people then?

How about pardoning someone, the man at the top, before he has even stood trial? The man who swore an oath, the man who attempted to pervert democracy?

That's pretty bad.
    MoK, you presumably reject Sovereign immunity entirely? I accept that it's flawed but I can see why it sorta often makes sense.
    Yep. Why should anyone be above the law?
    Yep. Why should anyone be above the law?

A Nixon trial would have went on for years. It might have prevented America from moving on.

Trying former leaders can have implications and set up a precedent whereby incoming leaders prosecute their predecessors for political reasons.

Head of State immunity is generally accepted in international law, although, a few different treaty obligations make for some exemptions. HoS immunity is certainly preferable to the other extreme of universal jurisdiction which in practice is completely unworkable.
    All come across as feeble excuses for someone whom you saw in a good light Dis.

Funnily enough I have not noticed you complaining about a very legitimate and incumbent head of state being invaded, attacked, deposed, tried and sentenced to death for things he did while he was in power.
    Aladdin wrote:
    All come across as feeble excuses for someone whom you saw in a good light Dis.

Not really the point. The fact is that it's not particularly practical for someone to try and arrest Mugabe, Castro or Hu Jintao whenever they travel abroad. (If you had your way the UN's status would be further diminished as you seem to think dictators should be arrested in foreign countries for domestic crimes). Can't see how they'd get to the UN in NYC if that happened.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Funnily enough I have not noticed you complaining about a very legitimate and incumbent head of state being invaded, attacked, deposed, tried and sentenced to death for things he did while he was in power.

There are always exceptions and neither sovereign immunity nor universal jurisdiction can be applied in all circumstances. (Although, had Saddam been arrested overseas getting medical treatment or whatever I would have objected). As for his trial, well I think the wishes of the Iraqi people are pretty clear...
    He was the President who pulled out of Vietnam and will go down as the only man ever to be President of America with out ever winning a Presidential election.